View Full Version : hey brooklyn

liquidblueman
03/25/2004, 09:49 PM
from brooklyn 2...
just started out researching SW tanks..
do own freshwater 10G but not really long... like a month or 2

always wanted to try SW but neva had the guts i guess
lost of investment... espically for a college student like me

well newayz... just dropping by 2 say hi to fellow brooklyn reefers...

since i'm here...
could u guys inform me of the best marine stores around new york with high quality stuff buy yet affordable...

thanks

-ray

marinefish
03/25/2004, 11:38 PM
Hi Ray, I know that you will be happy going to Thousand Island Aquarium on Utica Avenue And Avenue K. Also Fish Expo on Nostrand & Avenue J. If you need any more help, just ask, Bernie:) :) ;)

liquidblueman
03/26/2004, 01:31 AM
well 2morrow is my free of class day

so i was planning to drive to a couple of places...
the Fish Expo have in planned
but the Thousnd Island ?

could u give me full address therefore stick it in my plans since i'm going

marinefish
03/26/2004, 11:07 PM
Hi, I do not have the exact address, but the store is on Utica Avenue between Avenue K and Avenue L. It is the West side accross the car dealership.Ok

tinkertocker
03/30/2004, 08:27 AM
If your looking for corals, there is a place in queens. you can contact me for more info.

jackson6745
03/30/2004, 07:35 PM
Our local stores...thousand Island Aquarium, brooklyn zoo, world class aquarium, world of pets....they all suck!!! Avoid them like the plague. You will find lots of fish and corals that are very expensive and range from decent health to very poor health.

if you want to find good prices on nice stuff try fish town in queens, Island reef and fin in S.I, or my favorite....N.Y. Aquaria in westchester. Also take a look at manhattanreefs.com for local reefers selling frags and equipment etc...

jbanks
04/25/2004, 01:30 PM
I agree with Jackson! You will get ripped off at Thousand Island- I remember when it was Mark's Aquarium. There are new owners now and they change prices when convenient. Brooklyn Zoo smells like a kennel and the livestock looks horrible. World Class is pretty cool if you want a tank built(Check my gallery for the Tank they built for me) I was referred by a friend and have been very happy with the tank. However, their livestock looks questionable.

I usually go to House of Fin (For fish) and Reef and Fin (For Corals- SPS & LPS). The are both a short ride from brooklyn to connecticut over the Whitestone.

liquidblueman
04/25/2004, 06:53 PM
can i get exact addresses

or a telephone # from them ?

jbanks
04/26/2004, 09:56 AM
Reef and Fin 203-325-3526

House of Fin 203-661-8131

liquidblueman
04/26/2004, 11:36 AM
they located in connecticut ?

they have a website or some sort ?

jbanks
05/02/2004, 12:32 AM
I haven't seen a web site for either shop.

alixday
06/11/2004, 03:44 PM
The website for Reef and Fin is "http://www.reefandfin.com/"

and for

House of Fins :"http://www.houseoffins.com"

alixday
06/11/2004, 03:46 PM
Carol - the owner of 1000 island is definitely a theif. Stay away. Don't do it to yourself.

I made the mistake of getting my first tank from there. Well needless to say, its scrapped glass at this point. They did a horrid job and the worst part is, I didn't know any better until it was too late.

Don't do it.

ReefCorner
06/17/2004, 11:01 PM
Brooklyn Zoo use to have nice corals but no more. 1000 Islands nice pieces occassioly but expensive.

Reef and Fin nice pieces Especially acoraporas.