PDA

View Full Version : New brand of test kit?

Ferguson
03/25/2004, 07:32 PM
Can anyone suggest an easy to read Ph test? The test kit I am currently using is just too hard for me to distinguish. Thanks.

reewik
03/25/2004, 08:10 PM
Yeah, pinpoint.

aquaman67
03/25/2004, 08:33 PM
I agree, get something digital. There are hand held pH meters or pinpoints that stay on all the time. You can get them at www.marinedepot.com

Sir Knight
03/25/2004, 09:37 PM
Just wanted to clarify aquaman67 statement so you don't get confused and think you must keep the pH monitor on all the time. You don't, you can use it only when you want to take a pH reading.

I would also recommend pinpoint. They last a long time and only need to be re-calibrated with ph solution. Just be careful with the probe, the ends can be broken easily. I had one for three years before I dropped it in the tank and broke it.

Their are other pH devises called pH controllers. This is a different type of devise and would be on all the time. These devises are used to control for example your calcium reactors CO2 intake.
When the pH gets to low in your tank the pH controller will shut off the solenoid, stopping any additional co2 from entering the calcium reactor. When your pH goes back up again the controller will turn your co2 solenoid back on.

Hope this helps

SRA4031
03/26/2004, 12:48 AM
I would love a digital. I use two different kinds since they came with two totally different kits, and they both read different, and neither reads 8.3 they go from 8.2 - 8.4. One of the tests came paired with an Alkalinity test, and that one sucks, it reads low, average, high.

Sir Knight
03/26/2004, 01:48 AM
hey goldeneagle

One of the tests came paired with an Alkalinity test, and that one sucks, it reads low, average, high.

For alkalinity I use Salifert test kit Here is a link to
premium aquatics they have them at a good price. They also have the pinpoint pH monitors

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=SAT107&Category_Code=Salifert

Hope this helps

SRA4031
03/26/2004, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the info Joe.

Jason

coralreefing
03/26/2004, 01:08 PM
I agree electronic monitors are faser & more accurate & cheaper in the long run. If you want to stick with a test kit or don't have the $ for a monitor right now, I like the LaMotte PH kit best. It has tubes of colored liquid for comparison instead of paper cards.

Chris

SRA4031
03/26/2004, 01:11 PM
I will look into that.

Ferguson
03/26/2004, 01:14 PM
thanks to everyone for the help. I don't have the cash for an electronic tester right now, but I will probably put it on my Christmas list...

coralreefing
03/26/2004, 01:20 PM
I got mine from Foster & Smith but I just checked & it isn't offered on their site currently. Curious.
On a side note I use a Milwaukee PH Controller. They're cheaper than pinpoint & you can find them at http://www.myreefcreations.com/

Chris