PDA

View Full Version : 2 new fish within 3 days of purchase

chris ball
08/25/2001, 11:37 AM
I bought a yellow long nose and a regal tang the tang died within 4 hours and the yellow long nose 4 days I have checked nitrates ph all ok. I noticed my yellow long nose had what i think to be white spot would this cause my problem my tank has been running for 7 weeks i have other fish a few damsels [ soon to go to aggressive ] and have just got a powder blue [ hope he/she survives ] and goby i am new to marine and loads of info that u expeirenced mariners know please any info would gratefully recieved

cheers: :(

pdb
08/25/2001, 11:49 AM
Whoa! Slow down. You didn't mention how big your tank was but most people figure on 75 gallons per Tang. Also, after just seven weeks I wouldn't think of adding a Tang to any size tank. Tangs are algae grazers and you wouldn't have any of the algae that a Tang would like to graze on in a seven week old tank. Were you feeding the Tangs any type of Nori or Seaweed Selects?

If I were you I would slow down, do not add anything to your tank for awhile and do some reading. Use the search feature on this site to look up particular questions that you may have and grab a book or two. If you have any additional problems from here on out, post here and I'm sure that you will find plenty of help. Good luck.

chris ball
08/25/2001, 01:10 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank and I wasnt feeding either of the two mentioned foods I only had frozen shrimp and flake I my local fish shop said it would be enough I have one book and read it thoroughly but it doesnt beat experience and I think I jumped straight in at the deep end do you have to buy algae. I only have fish only tank dont know anything about reef tanks anyone fell free to tell me more and how stupid i have been or [misinformed]:confused:

cheers:confused:

hcs3
08/27/2001, 07:27 PM
hey chris [welcome]

what is a yellow long nose? i'm not familiar with the common name you are using. is that a yellow tang?

you state your water parameters are OK, but let us be the judge ;) could you let us know your levels for salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature, and pH? it would help a good deal. also what type of filtration you are using in your fish only (FO) tank, and the fish that are currently present. please be as specific as possible with the fish. rather than say "goby," use it's given common name or better yet it's latin name.

i'm not going to tell you how stupid you are (good thing 'cause i could go on forever (j/k) ;) ), but rather i'm going to tell you the adivce you've been accepting is severaly lacking. it would be in the best interest of the animals lives, and your pocketbook, if you would stop buying them for the time being.

a 30g tank is rather small. it does limit the livestock you can keep. thankfully, there are 1000's of beautiful marine fish that can be adequetely housed in a 30g tank. unfortunitely, tangs aka surgeonfish, are not one of them.

chris, as you search for a mentor in this hobby, remember to listen to all the adivce that is given to you, and look for more. not one person knows it all, though many like to think they do. one of the best learning tools can be reef central. 1000's of reefers from across the world gather here to discuss one thing (most of the time ;) ) - marine ornamentals and the proper care for them in captivity. besides this, realize that not one of us has a financial interest in your next purchase. our only interest lies in the well being of the animals we keep.

henry

chris ball
08/29/2001, 02:18 AM
I have a fish only tank with undergravel filter one powerhead and a seaclone skimmer[finding it hard to get this to work properly].
FISH: 1,Yellow tailed Damsel.
1,Humbug damsel[soon to be returned LFS]
1,Blue damsel " "
1,Blue Cheek Goby
1,Powder Blue

Water Parameters:

Ammonia 0.1
PH 8.3
Nitrite 0.1
Temp 79 cant get any lower house to warm
Salinity 0.21;)

OrionN
08/30/2001, 12:59 PM
I would not put ANY TANG in a 30 g tank. Powder blue tang will get to 9 inches full growth. You can see why you will need to tank him out or get a bigger tank.
In your tank I would not put any moer than about 5 fish max (even less). All less than 2 inches full growth. You should remove all your damsels because they will be too agressive in a small tank and you should remove the powder blue tang.
Your tank still not finish cycle yet. Amonia reading and Nitraite reading should be 0 befor you add any fish.
Water temp of below 82-84 is OK. You don't need to get it below 80 degree. These are tropical fish that we are keeping here.
Increase salinity to SG of 1.025 at 80 degree.
Consider remove the undergrave filter and use a sand bed and live rock for filtering.
For a fish only tank, under grave filter is OK but too much trouble to maintaince. Consider doing a reverse flow UGF instead.

SLOW DOWN. You don't seem to have enough knowledge just yet. Read some more and don't buy any more fish until you can be sure that they will live in your tank. Goodluck.
Minh Nguyen