PDA

View Full Version : PROP Auction Rules

Reefmaiden
03/24/2004, 07:28 PM
PROP Auction Rules

1. On-site registration will be from 1:45 – 2:30pm. Auction will begin at 2:45pm. Sellers that arrive late will only be allowed to register their items during breaks.

2. Upon registration each person will be assigned the same number for buying and selling.

3. The registration list will be posted immediately preceding the auction listing all items to be auctioned.

4. All buyers and sellers are eligible to participate in the auction. All buyers must pay 100% of the closing cost of the auction. PROP farmers receive no special buying privileges or discounts.

5. Items that the seller wishes to start at an open bid will always start at $1.00.

6. Items will only be sold in whole dollar increments.

7. All items will be sold individually including multiple item lots (duplicates) from the same seller.

8. If requested, sellers will be allowed to give a brief explanation as to specific coral identification/care prior to bidding for the item.

9. Buyer checkout will only be allowed during breaks or after the auction ends.

AZDesertRat
03/24/2004, 08:25 PM
Erin,
In regards to Number 7., a comment that I have heard at the previous auctions is if there are multiples of the same item please state that up front. I have heard this from more than one party. Has there been any discussion on people keeping permanent numbers in the interest of time. If people are concerned about what number they are issued do it in a random draw or lottery. A large number of us are at all the auctions and it sure would save registration time and effort on you and Blue's behalf. Sure don't wanna burn the poor guy out. Also we need to keep a big glass of drinking water around for Big Mike when he works up a sweat!

Keep up the excellent work! I for one really appreciate what all of you are doing for the Reef hobby.

A.J.

BLUESMAN
03/24/2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks AJ for the support! I'm going to get this to be a "Sticky"
Blue

Reefmaiden
03/24/2004, 08:43 PM
Hi AJ-

I agree with you and others about letting everyone know if there are duplicates. Hopefully with posting the registration list with all items being auctioned that will help some too. But we will do our best to point that out ahead of time also.

Thanks for your support!!

dmorel
03/24/2004, 09:15 PM
AJ,
we discussed both of the issue you mentioned at a meeting we had on saturday. Erin has the notes and perhaps will reply if I am correct on this, but I believe the intention was that if a seller had say three "tri-color frags" all from the same colony we would state that as the case and then try to auction them off one after the other.

Also, we did decide that bidder/seller numbers would be permenant as you suggest.

Regards,
-dm

Reefmaiden
03/24/2004, 09:25 PM
Yes, as Dave stated that is correct.

thanks!

polymorphus
03/24/2004, 10:25 PM
Number 8 should probably be something thats done everytime an item is auctioned. It will work too fold in that it will educate all bidders and non-bidders on the care/identification of the coral as well as allowing the lucky aquarists who wins the auction to provide the best care possible. :D

- g

AZDesertRat
03/24/2004, 11:04 PM
Good catch G.
Thats something else that even I have asked when I am not sure of something that catches my eye. Ther are some really awesome looking corals that are really agressive and its good to know before bidding on it. Green Hydnophora?? as an example.

A.J.

mx_tang
03/25/2004, 02:41 AM
Auction Rule #8 allows sellers to give a brief explanation of species, color, captive care, and any other pertinent information that may help the buyers make an informed decision. Sellers who pre-register for the auctions also allow their potential customer base to do some background research on the livestock or items in question, which promotes responsible fish and reefkeeping.

Thanks for everybody's support and feel free to post any questions/concerns.

SeaShel
03/26/2004, 12:16 PM
Perhaps in the interest of time and in case a seller has to leave prior to their lot going up for bid you could suggest that sellers attach a small note or 3 X 5 card to the specimen to be read off.

This would possibly make the informative part about care, species, etc go more quickly and smoothly.

It might also lead to the same consistent info given with each similar specimen.

candle_lady
04/02/2004, 12:37 PM
Just suggestions...

I agree with SeaShel.

A 3x5 card would help all around. If the card is made in a standardized form (briefly describe: how many for auction, name, lighting, flow, other particulars, etc...) with a dedicated reader (volunteer or seller) it would save on time.

That way there is no worry about an excessive amount of time taken for the reading (because it is prepared) and the public is informed about their purchase.

Another thing that would help:
Have one thread dedicated only to sellers registering their corals(no feed back in that forum). That would allow Blue and the public to easily figure out who has what for auction instead of searching for them. Also, (agreeing with MX) that would allow the public to see everything easily while allowing then to look up the care.

mjstech
02/02/2005, 01:28 AM
I don't want to sound dumb, but is this a cash only event?

mark

dmorel
02/02/2005, 08:07 AM
no worries... Yes, it's cash for the auction. The pizza, you can charge ;)

-dm

charlie___T
03/31/2005, 11:05 PM
how much does stuff uasually go for in these auctions

dmorel
04/01/2005, 06:43 PM
some stuff sells for a buck, some sells for 30 or more. Depends on what it is...

Most everything sells for way less then"Street Value"

-dm

AZreefkeeper
05/30/2006, 09:25 AM
when is the next auction?
thanks
vince

Reefmaiden
05/30/2006, 03:03 PM
Next auction will be June 10th.

AZreefkeeper
05/30/2006, 03:10 PM
is this the one at the roundtable? can you PM me directions from Tucson?
thanks
vince

Reefmaiden
05/30/2006, 03:25 PM
Roundtable has since closed. Please see the below thread for the new location info as well as dates, times, etc.

FAQ (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=737311)