PDA

View Full Version : Is a 55g big enough for a Regal Tang?

BiGG-MaC
03/24/2004, 01:23 AM
Is a 55g big enough for a Regal Tang?

DgenR8
03/24/2004, 09:11 AM
I suspect that your motivation behind posting this question is not just to get information. I'm going to give you what I believe to be an honest answer, but I will be watching this thread very closely.

If you do a search on Tang or tank size, you will find a month's worth of reading on the subject. The short answer is no, a 55 is not adequate for a tang, and a regal is no exception to that rule.

saltwaterguy85
03/25/2004, 01:11 PM
I will also be watching this thread as I always find tangs and tank sizes to be interesting. I personally would not do it, however, it has been done. I firmly believe that a regal tang needs at least 125 gallons to live happily. that being said, people still keep them in much smaller tanks and believe their tang to be happy. Who really knows though? The facts are, they grow to be really big and they grow really fast. I think of this issue as more of a moral issue. If you are comfortable keeping this beautiful tang in a small tank, then go on and do it. However, if you were to think about it for a while and weigh out the facts, then you will see that a 55 is just to small.
I was in the same boat with you though. All I ever wanted was a blue tang in my home, but quickly learned otherwise. I still to this day have to hold myself back at the LFS when I see one of these guys. Have you looked into yellow tangs at all? I have one in a 55, and although this may be a touchy area, I honestly believe that he is happy. He has been in there for almost 2 years now and is doing great. However, I do have the luxury of moving him to my 72 if he looks stressed ever. Anyway, I hope I helped you out and didn't sound like I was trying to be the tang police. I think these fish are absolutely awesome and that is the only reason that I hold back on getting one for my tanks.

Seanlee
03/25/2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah the big tang question... I think a 55 is to small for one. but that didnt stop me from getting one though... Well to justify that the LFS had a Purple Tang that someone brought back because he had got Lateral Line really bad. They tried to medicate him with no luck. He was on his last leg when the LFS said take him home and see what if anything you can do with him.. He was a freebie so I thought what the heck.. He first went the the sump/fuge and consumed all the calupea and fatted up. He nows eats everything I have tried to feed him... My plans are to get a bigger tank as he grows up.. Kinda hate to get rid of him now as we have became so attached to him. Of course that is jmo. If he was not free I know i would have never got one with a 55. I think if you put one in a 55 you should keep in mind that he will have to have a bigger tank as he grows.. If you buy a small one. You should be able to keep him in a 55 for a year or so before having to upgrade...

Sean

DgenR8
03/25/2004, 02:12 PM
The problem with that line of thinking is this;
You PLAN to buy a bigger tank in XX months, then the car needs a new transmission, or Joey needs braces, or the house needs a new roof, or you lose your job, or............... and the new, larger tank never materializes. Don't buy a fish today that you can not adequately accomodate at it's full size, even if it's a juvi now. Things happen in RL and many times, the reef is the first thing that we lose funding for, especially when you're talking about an upgrade that "can wait a little longer"

Seanlee
03/25/2004, 02:30 PM
Very true....... good point Larry

saltwaterguy85
03/25/2004, 04:15 PM
I know that is one of the best things that I was told on this board. As much as we plan and plan and PLAN for new tanks, they often don't happen according to plan! Great point larry!

BiGG-MaC
03/25/2004, 04:23 PM
thank you guys. your information was very helpful

ozadars
03/26/2004, 02:25 PM
actually they say tangs dont grow in smaller tanks which is imo not healthy for a fish. maybe Steve can help and write how big was the tang when he first both him and how big he is now

saltguy60
03/26/2004, 06:37 PM
hey, my yellow tang was probably about 2 inches when I bought him a little over a year ago and is now about 4 inches in my 55 gallon.

speccialj922
03/27/2004, 10:16 PM
larry, that was the best point that anyone has ever made on the subject. bravo.

Doppler
03/29/2004, 02:32 PM
I had my regal in my 65 gallon since it was a tiny fish(about the size of z quater)After reading these threads I made a fish trap,caught him and gave him to my friend that has a 220gallon tank.He is about 5" long now.Man i've been feeling guilty for months for keeping him in such a small space.I just have my percula,purple firefish,manderin, and 6 line wrasse now and i think as far as fish go thats going to be it

Gerard Alba
03/30/2004, 09:26 PM
Go for it if it is small and buy a bigger tank when it outgrow's it.
55 gallon isint that small for a 2" Parachanturus Heppatus.

ozadars
03/31/2004, 12:08 AM
if you will just keep it for a year and no more than that its fine, i agree but after a year it wont be enough anymore.

DgenR8
03/31/2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Gerard Alba
Go for it if it is small and buy a bigger tank when it outgrow's it.
55 gallon isint that small for a 2" Parachanturus Heppatus.

IF You're going to get the bigger tank anyway, why not get the tank first, and when you are ready to support through it's life, buy the fish? I mean, you ARE going to get the bigger tank, right??

JB NY
03/31/2004, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't put one in. I have one in my 180g and I very worried that this tank wouldn't be big enough. Now that have one, I would say that 150g or bigger is a good minimum.

BiGG-MaC
04/03/2004, 01:27 AM
how do i know when my tang has outgrown my tank?

flyguy340
04/05/2004, 08:10 PM
I have had my yellow tang in my 55gal for 5 years and he seems happy.

DgenR8
04/06/2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by BiGG-MaC
how do i know when my tang has outgrown my tank?

Unless you have witnessed their natural behavior, it's hard to recognize when they act unnaturally.

speccialj922
04/07/2004, 12:17 AM
thats the problem. alot of people say they will get rid of the fish when it outgrows thier tank. but fish grow (relatively) slow, and we tend to not realize that they are no longer good candidates for the tank. also like larry said, its hard to know what is "abnormal behavior" without constant surveilance of numerous species. in my opinion, no one should ever buy a fish that they cannot adequately house as an adult, in the tank that they currently have. but i guess thats all it is, an opinion.

speccialj922
04/07/2004, 12:21 AM
id also like to add, that in my experience with other people (mainly customers at my store), ALOT of people use "i'll get rid of it when it outgrows my tank" as an excuse to initially get the fish. deep down they have no intention of ever getting rid of it, but saying that seems to make them feel better. this is proven when things like tangs get ich in thier 55g tanks numerous times and they continue to treat it each time, never getting rid of it after the fish is well. im not saying that everyone/anyone on here does this, but it does happen.

Creade
04/14/2004, 10:48 AM
I totally agree with above.
All of this "Yeah go ahead and just trade it in, or go ahead and then buy a bigger tank, etc" is just making people go out abd buy this fish that have no business being in these tiny tanks.

The more people we tell that its alright to put it in a 55 if your going to upgrade, the more people will do it. Guess what, next, its going to be ok to temp hold a Tang in a 20 as long as you plan to upgrade soon.

If you dont have the resources to properly care for the fish at ATLEAST its minimum ADULT size, dont get the fish!!

PRC
04/14/2004, 11:18 AM
Agreed.
If you're really going to get a bigger tank then why not wait til you actually have it to purchase that fish? If you can't wait then this is the wrong hobby for you IMO.

DgenR8
04/14/2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by PRC
Agreed.
If you're really going to get a bigger tank then why not wait til you actually have it to purchase that fish? If you can't wait then this is the wrong hobby for you IMO.

Very well said!