PDA

View Full Version : Caulerpa peltata (from gulfview)

kevlouie
03/23/2004, 10:53 AM
Anybody else have this stuff growing out of their new Florida liverock?

Caulerpa peltata

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2605458

Its some type of grape caulerpa, and its taking off, hope my new yellow tang develops a taste for it, he seems to like every other algae growing in the tank.

rcmike
03/23/2004, 11:54 AM
I think I have some of that on mine. It is starting to grow a little.

Sir Knight
03/23/2004, 01:12 PM
Just a little FYI about Caulerpa peltata and any Caulerpa algae. It uses calicum like our SPS and LPS corals do.
Also this is one of the algaes that can cause a tank to crash if it goes sexual.
So I would recommend keeping under control.

Just trying to help

kevlouie
03/23/2004, 01:36 PM
Yeah thats sorta where I was going with this. I knew all caulerpa can go sexual, but its not a given, right? I was hoping the tang would start munching on it, and that would eliminate the worries of it getting out of control. Otherwise I would use it for nutrient export, or just remove it.

Sir Knight
03/23/2004, 05:03 PM
I knew all caulerpa can go sexual, but its not a given, right?
I had this in my refug for about a year. I would have to prune it weekly to keep it under control. It did work very well for a nutrient exporter. It just grows like a weed. I had it on a tank that had very high nutrient levels ( heavily stocked with fish). They are also thought to exude more noxious compounds and light inhibiting discolorants than other plants and algaes. I ran large amounts of carbon to keep down noxious compounds and water discolorants. If I remember correctly if it doesn't get enough food it starts going sexual. Case in point it over grows and use up all of the nutrients. I would just take it out of the tank and be done with it. There are many other algaes you can use that will not be as riskyand look cool. I like turtle grass(thalassia) and manatee grass(Syringgodium). Also keep in mind it can injure and impede the growth of coral tissue on contact.

Hope this makes sense

gflat65
03/23/2004, 08:32 PM
Good to know Joe. It is coming out tonight.