PDA

View Full Version : Big Ugly Brown turns Pink...

polymorphus
03/22/2004, 08:53 PM
Picked this coral up at the PROP auction last month as an ugly brown... It has sinced turned a nice ugly pink... If you sold this at the auction can you tell me what kind of lights, flow, location you had it in? I am trying to keep a database of sorts of the corals in my care...

http://www.gerardrodriguez.com/reeftank/uglypink.jpg

- g

Crawdad1
03/22/2004, 09:56 PM
I'm from out of state, but would like to know what lighting you currently have it under.It looks great!

polymorphus
03/22/2004, 11:13 PM
thx,

I was rather suprised at how fast it colored up as this is less than one month under these lights... here are the specs:

Aquaspacelight...
2x250's DE MH Aqualine AB 10k
1x150's DE MH Aqualine AB 20k

My only complaint is that the 250's aren't run by an electronic ballast... I may change that as it looks fairly easy to swap out the AB ballast with some IceCaps...

Regards,

- g

Daniel62
03/23/2004, 12:52 AM
Do you mean the meeting on the 6th 0f march?

polymorphus
03/23/2004, 12:55 AM
Daniel62,

yes that is correct...

- g

Daniel62
03/23/2004, 01:12 AM
Then it was mine. I have had it for almost 2yrs. came from walt smith. It was a nice green when I got it but over time it just turned brown. I am sure that it had to do with my lighting 6500k's along with 440 watts uri vho "03" and actinic white. It was kept high in the tank, doesn't/didn't like much flow. I was told it was some kind of pocilipora. Hope this helps. Looks great:)

polymorphus
03/23/2004, 01:18 AM
Yeah I was very suprised it changed the way it did... Within the first week it developed pink tips but it has since its started to spread to the rest of the coral... I too think its a pocilipora...

- g

mx_tang
03/23/2004, 11:13 PM
I concur that's a Pocillopora damicornis

lighting -medium

current - medium

pronunciation - pock-il-o-pore-a dam-ick-orn-is (use the hard c if you're following latin rules)

poss-il-o-pore-a dam-ick-orn-is (use soft c if you're not following latin rules)

common names - lace coral

As you can see from the picture above, the polyp extension isn't very good because there may not be adequate flow. Stressed out corals can have little to no polyp extension as well. When it is fully healthy and vibrant, the polyps will come out nearly ½" giving it a very full, bushy, look.

polymorphus
03/23/2004, 11:19 PM
damn knew I forgot an L... This looks really similar to the coral in 02manyfish's brood stock... That it turned from green to pink is very intresting... huurrrrrrrmmm turn to the Light side this coral has...

- g

mx_tang
03/24/2004, 02:50 AM
This coral is usually a pink/purple/red variant, but there are true green pocky's available in the trade also. More often than not, the coral probably stabilized and returned to its original color. Most aquacultured pocky's stay true to the mother colony's color, but some may shift from time to time. If it starts shifting to any other cool colors, snap a pic, since I'd love to see a blue or yellow pocky someday.