PDA

View Full Version : Dog's NW LFS reviews

thedogofwar
03/22/2004, 02:19 PM
So I had the opportunity to get to the NW part of the state this past weekend. I had a great time. Got to meet a fellow member, roped up a few more possible members. Unfortunately I didn't get to the Ft smith area stores. I did get flyers distributed to both Exotic Tropicals and World's Under Water. Oh and I forgot the camera so no pictures, sorry I was in such a hurry finishing up the flyers that I forgot to grab it.

These are my personal reviews and in no way reflect what your experiences may be. I reserve these reviews to post on what I found most specific and extrodinary. In addition, in no way are these reviews meant to be a comparison between eachother. Just because I may comment on one particular aspect of one store and not the other doesn't mean it isn't as good or available.

So let me tell you about what I saw, please no replies until the overall post is submitted.

thedogofwar
03/22/2004, 02:21 PM
Exotic Tropicals

First step impressions were WOW! A very nice looking store and a fabulous display just in front of me filled with georgeous anemones, mushrooms, zoas. A collage of pink and purple.

then theres a huge tank to my right. I can't remember, 700+ gallons I think it was with a dozen halides suspended above in a winch operated canopy. very cool. A portion of this tank is pictured on our homepage. Compliments of Matt Koss, he says he has more to share.

The number of acros in this tank is tremendous, as well as quite a few other corals and some very large 10"+ Clams. There were also half a dozen anemones in a tank below.

In another area of the store was a clam tank with what looked about like 30 clams, mostly 2-3" but some larger ones as well. Well James rearranged/organized it over Sat night and when I saw it again On Sun I counted over 50 clams. Some very nice ones by the way. Hopefully the Missouri guys don't nab them all up next weekend before I get back.

There was tons of LR of different sizes and origins. Even some small corraline rubble that would be perfect for supercharging your corraline or frag mounting.

There was 1 (Zanclus cornutus) Moorish Idol remaining when I got there. Very beautiful fish. Another reefer had taken one home to add to his reef so I'm anxiously awaiting to hear from James about his results.

They had a large variety of fish including a black tang that I really really wanted but don't have a large enough tank for. Some good looking puffers and about every species of tang. he also carries some great wrasses that a guy from Beebe comes up for reguraly.

They carry cyclopeeze and a rather large supply of dry goods and Salifert test kits!

James took me down around the corner and showed me all the tanks in their storeroom/construction room. Quite a few tanks large and small and some clam tanks.

Overall impressions are very good. The quantity and quality of stock is impressive, Prices are very competitive. James was super friendly and I was already convinced that it was worth the drive. I think James

just a idea: my sun coral was $40 about 3" dimeter, a dozen polyps or so. Salifert test kits, they compete with Marine Depot. Most acro colonys $60-$75, small maxima's $40 med $60, mushrooms 2 for $50.

I was also impressed with the care in packaging. triple bagged and oxygen added to the bag, prob not done for more local sales but i felt like James goes the extra mile for the out of towners.

thedogofwar
03/22/2004, 02:22 PM
Worlds Under Water

you step inside next to a very impressive tank. 6500k's are used for growth so I wouldn't call it a display but it is an impressive display none the less. About half of it's contents are for sale and you might get all of it with the right offer. :)

A great source for SPS. They had several large colonies of different species in the front tank, I know why Danny likes the store so much. I wanted to grab up a few of them but I already had a ton of frags to bring home.

They had some great looking rose anemones for about $75, prob half a dozen of them. They also had a large collection of clownfish and a current sale $22 for NEMO. They also have a good collection of fish, one puffer in particular that was looking really good.

They also had some very nice metallic green mushrooms ($60) that I'm still confused why Tawnya didn't pick one out. I think she was just upset that she couldn't have the rose and nemo that she wanted. A bunch of xenia in a few tanks down low on the south wall.

A good selection of drygoods, prices comparible to most LFS. They carry freeze dried cyclo-peeze which I understand is very hard to find. They also carried Salifert test kits and quite a few bulbs. I saw every size of URI VHO in 50/50 and actinic and several PC's including the 65W smartlite I use for my fuge.

What stuck out most to me about Worlds Under Water, besides the SPS collection was the atmosphere, honesty and knowledge. I don't suspect anyone will be mislead on whats right or wrong when making a purchase here.

thedogofwar
03/22/2004, 02:23 PM
Overall

Overall the trip was fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it. Together, these 2 stores make it well worth the 3 hr trip. I was impressed with the quanity/quality/selection of both stores and even more impressed with the store owners attitudes and knowledge.

I had hoped to find a really nice ricordia but both stores were really lacking in this department. If you're looking for ricordia, head to Monroe or give these guys a call and see what they might be able to get for you.

So please ask any questions that you may have, hopefully I can be more specific on your interests

Scuba Dog
03/22/2004, 02:29 PM
thedogofwar

Brandon were the sps colonys or frags or both? And how did danny like the cactus frag ?

Dionaea
03/22/2004, 02:40 PM
Scuba,

Our SPS are about a 60/40 mix of frags/colonies. We get a lot of stuff as frags that rapidly becomes colonies under the low color temp lights. We have several ORA frags (ie- Elkhorn Monti) and some from other sources (ie- Yellow Porites) that are now colonies. Things grow like crazy in that tank b/c of the Iwasakis and the calcium reactor. I have noticed that after I get things home under the 10000K Ushio HQI, they color up more, but they don't grow quite as fast (though it is pretty quick).

HTH.
James

Dionaea
03/22/2004, 02:43 PM
A good example of this is some Bali Slimer we got from ORA. I have a frag in my tank that came in the same order as the one we have in the shop. The one in my tank is BRIGHT green, but has only grown by about 50% all over. The one in the store in sort of mossy green, but is about 3x bigger than mine. I'll try to get pics soon.

James

Scuba Dog
03/22/2004, 02:54 PM
Dionaea

I hear ya the Iwasakis are known for great growth..but the yellow coloration is the draw back unless its a personal preference. The XM 10k 250 is supose to have just as much PAR as the Iwasakis now just a bit less actually, but its a new bulb.

Well the store sounds wonderfull some time I will have to take my wife on a trip up that way to meet everybody and cach a ball game weather its baseball football or basketball....So hint hint keep an eye out for tickets this fall....and grab some goodies from the LFS's ....

jerryc
03/22/2004, 03:12 PM
sounds like you had a wonderful trip hopefully I will get to check
out at least one tomorrow planning to leave early its almost as
far from here as little rock not quite but not as good of roads
I can leave my front door take same road all the way just
a quick stop at Harrison to do a small repair after that
im on my way

thedogofwar
03/22/2004, 05:15 PM
I was gonna say, world's has about a 50/50 mix between the frags/colonies. James already chimed in here with whats a more accurate description.

Exotic is more like 20/80

I wouldn't worry too much about the lights being used at world's, I believe Danny has purchased the majority of his SPS from there and they look fabulous. So I have to assume they will color up nicely. James also gave the example on the slimer

Oh I think I'll start refering to James from Worlds as his screen name to avoid confusion. I tried to avoid saying his name so nobody would be confused between the two. Like i said, too many James

Let me ask this because I don't know. What is it about the iwaskis that gives the growth? Is it the Par or is it the spectrum?

Scuba Dog
03/22/2004, 08:18 PM
On the Iwasakis , I know they have the highest PAR rating and that the bright yellow light is closest to the suns spectrum as well.....great growth is the hallmark of that bulb, color is ok not great..10k is a compramise better color good growth but not excelent ...then there are the 20ks for great color but minimal growth...but the newr 13 and 14 k's are out there, Ill wait and see on them. Those were just general statments from other reefers experiences , im shure there are other systems out there that get great growth and color out of diferent bulb combo's and the ballast yiu use as well, and the water quality, and if you feed or dont feed, lots if different parameters...

Achilles1882
04/07/2004, 11:49 AM
I agree completely with your reviews of what the LFS have to offer and the quality of products and service. I recently returned from a trip to Orlando, FL and was greatly disappointed in what the LFS had to offer there and even with what Epcot's Living Sea's had in reference to corals. Their angels and tangs and numerous other fish were spectacular but nothing to complete the other side of the ecosystem. I do believe i have been spoiled by what these two stores bring to the NW Arkansas area. BTW, I'm the one who got lucky with the awesome moorish idol from James at Exotic Tropicals! He's doing great and eating everything i give him including spectrum pellets. I'm so excited and will try to post a pic of him soon!

Sully

Scuba Dog
04/07/2004, 11:57 AM
Achilles1882

Cool....wish I had a local shop lol....and welcome to RazorbackReef....

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 12:43 PM
achilles, glad the idol is doing well, I forgot to ask James if he had heard any word on it when I talked to him last.