PDA

View Full Version : New Seahorse Display at the Indianapolis Zoo

DJPB
03/21/2004, 08:52 PM
I hear that there is a large Seahorse display at the Indy Zoo. Has anyone seen it yet?

chet-tonja
03/22/2004, 03:30 AM
Yeah my wife drug me there on Saturday and it was actually pretty nice. They had several baby tanks that were pretty neat to see and they had 3 leafy sea dragons that are always nice to see. They had several tube like tanks that really got on my nerves to look at, but they had many different species in each one. One thing I thought was odd was no live rock. I'm guessing all the seahorses are eating prepared foods because there was literally no live rock in any of the tanks??? It was definitely a nice exhibit though to go and check out.

Fourseahorsemen
03/24/2004, 11:21 PM
Just as an FYI, RATIO the architecture firm I work at is currently designing a major renovation/addition to the marine habitat at the Indy zoo. It should be pretty cool, although I am currently not on the project due to other commitments so I cant really speak to the details very well. Something to look forward to though.

4C

gwrulzmylife
03/26/2004, 05:44 AM
about time, I look forward to it.

justgettinstarted
03/27/2004, 03:47 PM
prob no live rock cause they cant handle getting stung by hydroids on the rock when they are small

abduelo
04/02/2004, 11:19 PM
That seahorse exhibit is not actually done by the zoo, its done by an outside org. that brought the exhibit in, like when the jellyfish exhibit came to town.....
the marine section of the zoo is interesting......

gwrulzmylife
04/02/2004, 11:28 PM
Just saw the Seahorse exhibit, it totally blows!

THe sea dragon tank has beads as decoration, the column tanks are cool, but while I was there all the seahorses were gathered in a ball at the bottom of the tank.

Mostly plastic plants in most of the tanks, which I'm sure they do for those who don't want to spend 10 minutes looking for them. But I'd think they'd go to the trouble to make the tanks look natural! Just my opinion, but I think it is a very bad display, though I liked the tank that ran along the floor, too bad it was full of plastic plants...

abduelo
04/02/2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by gwrulzmylife
Just saw the Seahorse exhibit, it totally blows!
the zoo...................

Peskoe97
04/02/2004, 11:35 PM
totally blows!

gwrulzmylife
04/04/2004, 02:17 AM
Ah, the Zoo itself isn't that bad, just small. My 5 year old loves it. I don't mind most of the exhibits, just the poorly thought out ones like the sea horses. THe jelly fish exhibit was awesome! But it's kinda hard to screw that one up since there is nothing in the display besides jelly fish.

matt the fiddler
04/04/2004, 05:05 PM

Cpt. Jack Sparrow
04/05/2004, 01:03 PM
The seahorse exhibit at the zoo was created by the zoo. Previously they had a traveling exhibit of seahorses set-up in the encounters building. This exhibit is in the waters building and is going to stay.