PDA

View Full Version : MARS Protein Skimmer

Brian Prestwood
03/21/2004, 11:40 AM
I counted four people who wanted protein skimmers Friday night. With a small amount like that I prefer to kit them out and then do final assembly as a group.

The standard heights are 26" with a MAG 5 to fit under a 30" stand. Or 32" with a MAG 7 to fit under a 36" stand. But you can have anything between 24 and 36 inches.

The standard hand on collar works with a lip (aquarium top) up to 2 inches wide. If you need something wider (for plexi-glass tanks usually) let me know how wide the lip is.

I'll purchase all the parts for the reactors except the pump. You can pay me for the parts when we do the final assembly. You can purchase the pump from Marine Depot. Again the final cost of the skimmer is between $125 and $135, depending on the pump price.

The standard contact chamber (skimmer body) is black ABS. Clear PVC adds $30 - $40 to the price, depending on the height of the skimmer. If you want a clear PVC body you'll have to pay me for that ahead of time.

The black ABS is really cheap. If something goes wrong while tapping I just throw it away and start over. The clear PVC is a little harder to tap and much more expensive. If you want a clear PVC chamber you'll have to assume the risk of buying a second chamber ($40) if something goes wrong.

Also, I'd like to suggest that everyone who builds a skimmer to make a $20 donation to MARS. If you'd like to do so you can pay Cathy Abandonato at the next meeting you attend.

NOTE: if you want a skimmer that is shorter than 24" we can build one with a Mag 3 pump. It will cost around $115 to build. Good retail skimmers in that size range cost around $175. You won't save much by DIYing.

Gigus
03/21/2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Brian,
Sorry for the late post but the ball is now rolling on my 215 gallon and am interested in building one for this tank. Am I too late? And do you have one running (possible pic).

RasBobre
03/21/2004, 07:46 PM
Just want to confirm that I was one that was interested at the meeting. I'd actually like to do two, one for 135G and one for 300+/-. Thanks Brian. -Robert

Brian Prestwood
03/22/2004, 08:43 AM
Gigus

You are not too late.

Look for the last thread on it here. There are drawings. I don't have a picture of the prototype posted yet.

Too bad you missed the meeting. You could have seen it in action.

Brian Prestwood
03/22/2004, 08:44 AM
Robert

Got you down for two...

What sizes?
Any special hand on collar requirrements?
Black ABS or Clear PVC?

tpete
03/23/2004, 01:19 AM
Brian, I'm in for tne one requiring the mag 7, with black tubing and collars for 1" and 4". I guess the standard 2" collar will work for one of them, correct? Thanks agaiin for all your hard work in putting all this together. Terry

late2wake
03/23/2004, 06:59 AM
Brian-
I have yet to join MARS. I've been meaning to do so for quite some time, but I have been putting it off, among other things... I digress. I'm interested in attending the DIY workshop, but I am not a member in "good standing." Could I, perhaps, participate anyway? I still intend to join. I'm located in the Elk Grove area.

Where/when will the final assembly take place?

If all is good, I'd like to assemble the 24" PS with the black chamber. This will be sitting in a soon-to-exist 20 gal sump for my 75 gal with o/f. Thank you ahead of time.
-Derek

Brian Prestwood
03/23/2004, 08:22 AM
Terry

Got it. I'll make a collar for a 4" lip and one for a 1" lip.

And, you are welcome.

Brian Prestwood
03/23/2004, 08:29 AM
Derek

This is for members. However, as long as you agree to sign up the next chance you get then you can participate.

Final assembly will probably be at my home in Antelope sometime between now and the April meeting.

FYI - this skimmer can sit in the sump or out. If it is out it can be a little taller.

RasBobre
03/23/2004, 09:00 AM
Brian - I don't really know about the sizes. I have no height or width requirements. Both can be outside of a sump next to the tank for that matter, no hanging on needed. Black ABS is fine.

Thanks Brian and let me know if you need any more info. -Robert

user48953
03/23/2004, 12:41 PM
Brian.. Do you know if you can do the ca reactor during the same session?

thanks
huy

Brian Prestwood
03/24/2004, 12:04 AM
Robert

Unless I hear otherwise, I'll make you two 32 inch tall skimmers for MAG 7 pumps. If they are too tall we can cut the top coupler off, shorten the skimmer as needed and replace the coupler for around $5 each skimmer.

Brian Prestwood
03/24/2004, 12:09 AM
Huy

I wanted to wait until the skimmers were done before building more reactors. If you need one right away I can make one. The parts are around $50.

late2wake
03/24/2004, 02:00 AM
I just printed out the membership form and will send in my check in tomorrow. did you want a check or do you accept paypal? or did you want cash when we all meet up?

i'd like the standard 26" black pvc along with the MAG 5 with a standard 2" colar, although i will not really use the colar.

how would you go about building a calcium reactor? id be interested in that as well. I really appreciate what you're doing. im so excited!

RasBobre
03/24/2004, 07:47 AM
Thanks a lot Brian. I am heading to AZ today for a little break to watch some baseball and play some golf, but I'll check back next week. I too appreciate your dedication and enthusiasm with the DIY's, group buys and your communication. -Robert

thereefgeek
03/24/2004, 11:01 AM
late2wake, you can bring the membership fee to the DIY at Brian's if you want. I'm not sure if the address on the on-line application is correct or not. I'll get you an ID card that day and give Cathy the money at the next meeting.

user48953
03/24/2004, 01:27 PM
Brian.. I can wait on the ca reactor.. it's not much fun if you build the reactor for me.. :)

Brian Prestwood
03/24/2004, 09:00 PM
Huy

I'll probably do the reactors the same way I'm doing the skimmers. I'll do the drilling and tapping ahead of time then we'll do the final assembly as a group.

During final assembly you'll be able to tell how things work without risking life or limb.

The only construction technique you'd learn would by watching would be tapping holes and cutting plexiglass on a table saw. Not much to it.

I spent a lot of time figuring out how to make the construction a no brainer. I suppose if I didn't then it might be worth it to watch.

The unfortunate truth is that if the construction process was complex enough to learn anything from I probably wouldn't do it as a group. Too much opportunity to go wrong and waste other people's money.

Gigus
03/25/2004, 02:31 AM
Brian,
I too would like to join this month. A couple of questions:
The only benifit I can think of using clear tube instead of black is that you can see bubble production and if a cleaning is needed (I always got fan worm infestations in the bottom chamber). - is clear any more difficult to work with?

Are there fittings so we can create chamber extenstions for an increase in bioload?

When would this workshop take place?
This month has been crazy as I have had to work four weekends in a row and do not know if it was on a Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks,
G