PDA

View Full Version : Possible ban on formalin

not ecooper
03/21/2004, 07:38 AM
As many of you know, the FDA is banning many of the antibiotics that we use to save the lives of w/c fish, in fears that people may self administrate to themselves the drugs.

OK, so it kinda makes sense. But we should outlaw rubbing alcohol, too, because underage kids can get drunk off of it. Oh, and cough syrup.

As for the formalin, we all know its a carcinogenic. But there is a carcinogenic in peanut butter. There is a carcinogenic in "blackened chicken."

EVERYTHING is a carcinogenic.

This drug, that we use to save rare and unusual fish for captive breeding programs is at risk for being banned because if you drink massive of amounts of it, you'll get cancer. Think of what this drug does to save the lives of fish, and how its banning will get in the way of captive breeding programs as well as the study of rare, hard to keep fish in order to save them and breed them in captivity to save wild populations.

Lets take a stand TOGETHER against the ADA specifically about formalin. I have been running to every pet store for MILES collecting drugs for my wild caught pairs, with the fears that in some amount of time, they might no longer be available to me.

We have to stop this. We use this drug by choice and because of its effectiveness. We need this drug. We need the others too, but soon our only choice will be to get a prescription from a veterinarian. And personally, there is no vet in Indiana that knows anything about fish enough to probably concede to prescribing such a drug to my fish if necessary.

We are professionals in our own right, and our ability to treat these animals is being taken away.

Lets show the FDA how many people depend on this for their breeding programs, for their success in the study of marine fish. And the effect it would have if we couldn't save as many fish as we do and had to take EVEN MORE from the ocean, further depleting natural populations due to losses because of the loss in our ability to use the drugs that we need.

Our only choice is to fight back. Who is with me?

justgettinstarted
03/27/2004, 03:53 PM
actually rubbing alcohol will not get you drunk as it is isopropanol... and alcohol that gets you drunk is ethanol... ;) haha

yes, everything gives you cancer... i work in a chem lab... and i can tell you that there is a warning label on bottles of saturated solutions of SALT WATER... because sodium chlorid is toxic in high doses! HAHAH ask people with high blood pressure...

i am sure it will still be avaliable.. it will most likely just be harder to get...