PDA

View Full Version : know of any good lfs in north bay

gojira
08/23/2001, 12:22 AM
greetings,

i have just recently returned from living in australia and have relocated from healdsburg to napa and was looking for a somewhat close lfs.

i was going to caeser's in santa rosa for all me gear, but was wonderin if something is closer/better in the areas from davis/sac to oak/sf to marin/pet/santa rosa...i don't reckon there's one in napa, but i could be wrong.

thanks for any info

cheers,
g

Reefer Dude
08/24/2001, 11:53 AM
I don't know the name, but there is saposed to be a big one in Sac, There are a few shops in Concord worth checking out: The Aquarium (www.theaquarium.tv), Super Pet Warehouse (www.superpetwarehouse.com I really like this store, drie goods like you would not believe), and The Concord Aquarium. There is Reef Science in Danville (www.reefscience.com), and Aquatic Reflections in Dublin (www.aquatic-reflections.com well worth the trip). Let me know if that helps.

RustySnail
08/27/2001, 07:41 AM
Since the original post was from someone outside the local (concord/danville) area, I would have to say that you should be careful when dealing with superpet or concord aquarium. I live just down the street from superpet, and I do buy things from them for convenience, and since they have been improving the condition of their tanks (slowly).

A year ago, all of the SW fish looked like they were being starved to death. (Most look better now), but the reef tanks still leave lots to be desired. Poor circulation/filtration (think leng-si) is what is causing most of the corals that are in the tanks to slowly die. I have bought corals from them, but only items that are 'fresh' arrivals (I know what is new since I live close by). The last time I bought a coral, it was placed in water from the main system (not reef tank water), and luckily I was able to acclimate it (but it did lose some tissue). THE OWNER OF THE STORE BAGGED THE CORAL. I did not realize what had happened until I got home. I have a hard time justifying returning after that one. Anyway, prices are quite a bit lower than the premium stores in this area, but also is quality. Consider them mostly 'dry goods' stores.

If you are looking for real bargain basement on fish/corals, try Sixth Avenue Aquarium in SF, or Nippon in SF. Sixth Ave. rivals prices found only via mailorder, yet it is (somewhat)local, and you can select healthy specimens. Very, very high turnover rate at this store, so you take some risk, but most items are 'fresh from the reef' and not 'store killed'. The biggest difficulty about this store is finding parking (typical in SF).

Definitely take a look at ReefScience in Danville. Lance has the best set-up in the entire bay area. I try to buy single specimens that I know I would have difficulty finding in good health elsewhere at his store. I'm on a pretty tight budget (finishing college) and can't yet afford to do all of my business at ReefSci, but would otherwise. Last year they had a great deal going on box lots of nice Fiji LR; so if you need LR, they are your best bet.

Good Luck!

Russ

Reefer Dude
08/27/2001, 10:05 AM
Very good point, I just really like buying my drygoods at superpet warehouse. They have a lot and prices are okay. I have bought coral and it is alive and well.

gojira
08/27/2001, 08:15 PM
thanks for the replies...i really appriciate it.

what is the deal with reef science though? are they going out of business? i have heard nothing but good things and am very anxious to try them out.

thanks again for all the info

cheers,
j

Tenner
08/30/2001, 09:20 AM
Hey all,

Has anyone else heard Reef Science Aquarium is out of business?

Got the news the other day, and have been trying to reach Lance ever since, no response at the store. I'm plannin on swinging by there today.

Looks like we may need to find a new home for the club.

Thanks
Matthew

Tenner
08/30/2001, 09:47 PM
Hey all,

Lance confirmed today that Reef Science Aquarium is closing. Last day is tomorrow. Lance will continue to run his service business out of his home.

Looks like our club needs a new home. The sept meeting is being held at Jefferson Apartments in Dublin. They have a really great mini theater. And since it is where Aquatic-Reflections is, this might be our best bet.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Matthew

RustySnail
08/31/2001, 03:35 AM
That's really too bad...I wonder if the issue with the store fire late last year had anything to do with it (people assuming they are out of business).

It is really sad to hear when good people running good stores can't keep up with expenses. In today's age with internet mailorder competition, and warehouse stores, it is really a bad time for small store owners (I know because I work part-time at a family owned hardware store).

Times are changing... everyday I hear someone say how glad they are that they have a local hardware store and don't have to go to that 'other' warehouse/hardware store....

Russ

gramma royale
09/12/2001, 10:35 PM
Anyone know of any store that sells MAG drive pumps or some reliable pumps, other than Rios? BTW, The Aquarium in Concord is a decent store. I'm a regular at that store and know a lot of the employees there. If you've ever got a question, ask Drew or Bob, they're pretty much the store's experts on reefs :)

Reefer Dude
09/12/2001, 11:35 PM
I also am a regular. The thing I really like about Drew is that he is really in to all the little inexpensive trick to try. Bob know a lot, but he is a little dated in his methods. Bob is the manager of the store though. By the way he is probable going to join us in our November meeting with Dr. Ron. Stay away from Dustin at The Aquarium. He tries to talk the talk but he just does not know. Although he did try and declare himself the leading fish/reef expert in California. I got a really good laugh out of that, and then realized he was serious, and got an even harder laugh.

gramma royale
09/13/2001, 12:08 AM
Yea, Dustin gives me that vibe. He is kinda pompous in that kinda way, but he has given me some good advice about a couple corals. Have you noticed that 18 gallon eclipse reef tank they got sitting in the front? It's COVERED with coralline! I remember asking Bob how they got it like that, what without a sump, refugium, additives, etc. And he just said...."luck". :D Anyhow, how does one become a member of BARE? I'd like to attend the meetings to and learn some new stuff. BTW, what do you think about the RO and mixed salt water? I haven't the money to buy an RO/DI unit yet so I've been using their water :( Talk to you guys later.

Reefer Dude
09/13/2001, 07:49 PM
I used The Aquariums water for over a year and had great results. The only reason I don't anymore is that I no longer liver in Concord, and I broke down and bought a RO/DI unit. If you want info about joining BARE, go to www.bareonline.org. Hope to see you at the next meeting.

Tenner
09/14/2001, 12:51 AM
Gramma Royale,

The BARE web site has been responding very slow lately. So, just in case you can't get it loaded I will add you to our email list. I usually send out an email one week in advance of our meetings so everyone is clued in.

Hope to see you there next week.

Thanks
Matthew

lori344
09/18/2001, 04:43 PM
Mathew,
Ron & I just moved to Castro Valley last week... We'd also like to join BARE. I'll try the website, but just in case can you e mail or post the meeting details.
Thanks,
~lori

Allyson
09/18/2001, 05:34 PM
I'm heartsick! Say it ain't so! We tried to call Reef Science in Danville and the number was disconnected. The website is down. They are the ONLY fish store I've found that quarrantines their fish before sale and the fish and LR I've bought there has flourished. Please tell me that they haven't closed or that they're moving to a bigger place. We drive from Mountain View and buy fish no where else if we can help it. We're looking for a good place for LR. I love the Fijian LR we bought there. Anyone have some good recommendations?

gramma royale
09/18/2001, 06:36 PM
Well, I believe the store is "temporarily" closed. Hopefully they'll be able to get back on their feet soon :).

Allyson
09/18/2001, 06:45 PM
So what's the story? Why are they "temporarily closed"?

Tenner
09/18/2001, 06:58 PM
Hey all,

Reef Science has closed. No not temp. Lance told me he was going to focus on his service business out of his home.

For fish in our area, I like Lucky Goldfish in Oakland, but they are expensive.

Lori, I will get an email with details of our meeting this week.

The www.bareonline.org site is having problems and we are looking to move it to a new location.

Thanks
Tenner

gramma royale
09/18/2001, 08:32 PM
Ugh, that sucks. Reef Science was the only place I knew that sold used tanks and stuff. That's the problem with Danville. Too many rich people who don't know where to put their money!!! :D . I don't belong in Danville since I have no money but know exactly where to put it!

wuelfman
09/19/2001, 12:27 AM
castro valley??????
man what a small little world
thats where i grew up
and my folks still live there
up above crow cayon
nice town

lori344
09/19/2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by wuelfman
castro valley??????
man what a small little world
thats where i grew up
and my folks still live there
up above crow cayon
nice town

Weulfman,
I'm still getting familuar with the area I'm not sure where crow canyon is...But if this helps, I'm at the top of the hill off Summerset. Nice view of the bay. So far I love this town, people are so friendly!
~lori

wuelfman
09/19/2001, 01:18 PM
top of the hill at summerset
well you know the middle school on the hill ?right down the road from you?
at the bottom is crowcanyon and cullcanyon
its a great town to live in
did you move your all your livestock as well as your tank?
if not let me know i have some frags i can bring when i go to my dads to visit your about 1 mile from him :D
paul

lori344
09/19/2001, 02:19 PM
Paul,
Yes, I know the middle school you're talking about :). Wow, small world. Yes, we moved all three tanks with the live stock, and it was a lot of work. I don't ever what to move them again.:D Let me know when you come and visit your dad, I'd be happy to trade some frags with you.
~lori

darcitananda
10/19/2001, 01:41 PM
If you are still around, in Windsor is Coral Reef Ecosystems. This guy is by appointment only to look at livestock and equipment, or you can order from the site www.coralreefecosystems.com He specializes in custom lighting set-ups. Nice guy.

-Darcy

Allyson
10/19/2001, 04:50 PM
Thanks!
We are now shopping from Aquarium Concepts in Hayword. They're really nice and Camron is good about negotiating prices. Their Tonga LR looked good too but we bought that from FFExpress. Lighting is next on the list so we'll check this site out.

Allyson

Jbannas
11/16/2001, 04:49 AM
What are the best LFS in San Francisco?
Also, where's the cheapest place to find good live rock?

Thanks in advance,
Jarrad