PDA

View Full Version : Most Wanted Corals/ Fish! ?

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 12:11 PM
I just had a thought....yeah It happens no wise cracks either lol....What is the most sought after coral or fish on your most wanted list...? That way we can have an idea on who wants what who has what, and so that we can look out for eachother..?

Me any wild color zoanthed and acros..

1 any blue or red zoanthed...is highly desired
2 any blue colored acro..any capricornis other than solid green sinde i have a green one...heck any acros...and a birds nest likely a pink for shure and the ORA green...

On a good note i have noticed greator growth of my acros so hopefully in the coming moths I should be able to have a small frag or two available to my brother Razorbacks...Brandon has seen my tank and what i have available, his opionion wouldent be biased like mine lol....

drummerman2003
03/19/2004, 12:24 PM
i would say any coral that my lights can handle lol
and for fish... a pair of mating clowns (girlfriends request-she thinks she can get the babies to survive)

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 12:33 PM
drummerman2003

I have a mated pair of maroon clowns...they havent started laying eggs yet, clowns can be raised its just a matter of having the breeder tanks and plenty of the proper food for them...

just be pachent the time will come when you will be filling up your tanks with corals....

drummerman2003
03/19/2004, 12:34 PM
yea i am being patient... i think its the moneys fault though hehe i think she either wanted a pair of black and white or false percs... proably false... how do we know if they are going to mate?

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 12:58 PM
drummerman2003

I dont know much about the percs...But the clown fish and breeding fish forums would be your best bet for good info there...but i do know with maroons if you get two and they dont kill each other ya have a mated pair then lol

thedogofwar
03/19/2004, 01:03 PM
You really don't know. Just watch them and you'll see the relationship grow. It's unmistakable. Then you'll also watch the occassional fight when the female will ignore the male. It's interesting how they can act so much like us.

When they start mating, you'll see alot of strange jerking and other odd behaviors, don't be alarmed it's normal.

Oh and be very watchful if you go adding a new host to a pair. Often the female will become very territorial over it and possibly injure or kill the male if he tries to invade. sheeze, women! :)

thedogofwar
03/19/2004, 01:12 PM
Great idea scuba!

Well I'm always looking for rare/stunning Zoas
I'm also looking for Tubastrea sp (sun coral)
fighting conches
Berghia Nudibranch (Aipitasia Eating nudi)
shaving brush plant

also looking for a good deal on 125+ tank only, no stand or canopy needed.

good deal on a 24" VHO setup

thats about all I can think of right now.

headhawg7
03/19/2004, 01:55 PM
They have some specials for VHO setups right now. Tell me what you want and I think they are real cheap. Good quality too. I use PFO VHO ballasts and they work perfect.

Roy....I can help with the pink BN, nice blue acro and a ton of other acros. I will give you some of those nice green ZO's.

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 02:07 PM
headhawg7

Cool love all those...Later on say end of summer ill start going after the exotoc acros...like both strains of the blue tort cale and oregon...and some tenuis...and a few others...just waiting to have the proper gear....

Brandon ill see what the costs are on that size tank....glasscages i think has some, and there just down teh road from ya off I 40 in tennessee so you wont have to deal with huge shipping costs,

headhawg7
03/19/2004, 02:08 PM
I have a tenuis. It will be ready to frag in a few more months.

jerryc
03/19/2004, 02:11 PM
I believe Roy had my list
alltho have to wait about 3 or4 month for the acros afraid
they wouldn't survive under just VHO

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 02:12 PM
headhawg7

Really now, I dont know much about them just seen some pics of the blue varity they resemble a tort mostly, but i have seen some that are of the yellow and green varity for sale on the net........

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 02:16 PM
thedogofwar

Just went over to www.glasscages.com and they have a 135 for 220 glass, they will drill it for a unnamed fee though...

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 02:20 PM
jerryc

Well jerry certain ones will.....montapora varitys will like the digitatas they come in differents colors brown green purple orange and blue polyp...they look like fuzzy little sticks cool though fast growing real hardy....and montapora capricornis a leaf like plating coral that grows fast it comes in about the same colors i have a green frag im growing out, orange purple pink ...and purple edge also....all those would do ok under VHO and even better under halides........

jerryc
03/19/2004, 02:30 PM
Roy that would be great I can have a few reedy win the 55
is reedy to stock everything starting to come together

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 02:35 PM
jerryc

Cool let me know when your ready, I have two digitata frags left...had three but traded one to Dogofwar.....its a great first sps coral to cut your teeth on...Im shure brandon will fill ya in on it...the frags will be at least an inch to inch and a half in length snd a few branched areas as well......once ya get it just super glue or epoxy it to a small rubble rock and soon it will encrust it and start shooting up and branching more. sooner or later a hermit or snail or fish will knock it over and it will break then ya have a 2nd colonly lol like mine lol...

thedogofwar
03/19/2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by headhawg7
They have some specials for VHO setups right now. Tell me what you want and I think they are real cheap. Good quality too. I use PFO VHO ballasts and they work perfect.

Roy....I can help with the pink BN, nice blue acro and a ton of other acros. I will give you some of those nice green ZO's.

I didn't know PFO made VHO ballasts. I'm not real particular just want (2) more 24" 75w VHOS need everything that goes along, bulbs, endcaps, standoffs.

The current VHO is constructed of icecap endcaps, uri bulbs and a workhorse7 ballast. All wired and mouted by yours truely. I did it all for about $100

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 02:39 PM
yeah Im interested in some VHO as well...about 220 watts for two four foot bulbs URI super actinics....

thedogofwar
03/19/2004, 02:41 PM
Those are some great prices Scuba!

I want the 240 long. I wonder if the overflows are extra?

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 02:48 PM
thedogofwar

yeah whenever im dicide to go with a bigger reef tank thats where im going to go, lookin like ill set up a 240 for the reef tank,. but thats way on down the lin, what is cool is i can take a road trip and bring it back to avoid the mega shipping costs...think it would be like a 5 to 6 hour drive one way for me, but still its a lot cheaper that way...

saltaddict
03/19/2004, 03:42 PM
My most wanted is some true blue zoos like the ones that tubs has, not to mention a lot of other frags from there.

headhawg7
03/19/2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by thedogofwar
I didn't know PFO made VHO ballasts. I'm not real particular just want (2) more 24" 75w VHOS need everything that goes along, bulbs, endcaps, standoffs.

The current VHO is constructed of icecap endcaps, uri bulbs and a workhorse7 ballast. All wired and mouted by yours truely. I did it all for about $100
Yeah I could do that for you. Do you want a reflector too? They have the retro kits on sale right now.

headhawg7
03/19/2004, 04:21 PM
What about you Roy? Did you want me to check on the VHO setup or just the bulbs?

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 06:34 PM
headhawg7

The whole set up danny...plug and play would be nice...

thedogofwar
03/19/2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah I could do that for you. Do you want a reflector too? They have the retro kits on sale right now. uhh I think you just ordered me a reflector didn't you? LOL. I hope so. they probably won't fit, I'm a bit curious to see how well that reflector fits my set-up. Suppossed to have room for a florescent or pc on each side.

I don't know how close I can put everything safely. I've only got about 3" center to center between the vho and mh now. I could squeeze those in a bit more and then put the 2 new ones at the edges, rotate them so they project inwards a bit.

they're not gonna make a reflector to fit everything for me but if the retro is a really good deal, I could just get it and sell the reflector off or prob just keep it for future.
I should have just gotten an HQI, then I would have the room. Anyone wanna buy a 175 set-up? :)

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 07:00 PM
thedogofwar

just read the psrt of your post brandon that was about the overflows...its extra i remember that much..how much not shure, he is also selling on ebay as well. i think there is a couple there that he has drilled and included overflows....

thedogofwar
03/19/2004, 07:25 PM
thanx for the info. I saw overflows in one of the pics of the 240L. I figured it was extra.

thats great that they are close. How often does that happen? I might actually pic one up in about a month. I can start working on it, I'll prob do the holes and overflows myself. Too gravy to pay for it. I don't think I can DIY plywood for the price. $550 for the long.
thats a great find, thanx for that 1!

hey whats the url for that tech place you were talking about?

DANNY, check on a 250 HQI for me please.

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 08:58 PM
thedogofwar

I think its www.aquatictech.com or you can do a yahoo search on aquatictech its based out of ohio...they have excelent hardware and drygood prices, but they are ridiculously high on live stock....

Scuba Dog
03/19/2004, 09:02 PM
thedogofwar

My canopy is made out of birch plywood. looks great a buddy made it for me...the raw materals were around 80 to 90 dollars though for my 75...but then agen the hardware store I went to is quite high on there prices...the stands and canopys that aquacages sells arnt finished ...they need to be staind and varneshed...

thedogofwar
03/19/2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Scuba Dog
thedogofwar

My canopy is made out of birch plywood. looks great a buddy made it for me...the raw materals were around 80 to 90 dollars though for my 75...but then agen the hardware store I went to is quite high on there prices...the stands and canopys that aquacages sells arnt finished ...they need to be staind and varneshed...

I don't want their stands or canopy. I'd make it myself first but I don't even need it. You know I'm an in-wall guy. that's what I'll have as soona s I own the roof over my head. i just gotta have the space. :) I can build a 2x4 stand and hanging pendants.

mcanavan69
03/22/2004, 06:30 PM
I would like several blue, purple, and green acropora tortuosa's These guys are deep colored and very bright.
Just my $0.02
Mark:strooper:

Scuba Dog
03/22/2004, 08:20 PM
mcanavan69

You and me both....those are dream corals, I would want two of each one to frag and one to just let get huge.......

drummerman2003
03/23/2004, 01:11 AM
im still at about the same ummm any coral lol

Scuba Dog
03/23/2004, 01:36 AM
drummerman2003

I was the same way at first. Then I started to like the sps and clams more and more, its easier to specialize t certain types of corals...But there are some nice mixed reefs out there.....

drummerman2003
03/23/2004, 01:59 AM
thats pretty much what i am going for. a mixed i guess. i definately like the looks of zoas and clams lol

jerryc
03/24/2004, 08:52 AM
SPS
:beer:
lps:D
clams:rollface:

headhawg7
03/24/2004, 09:02 AM
I found those Zoa's last night Jerry. I think they will look nice once they start to open up. THanks again, Danny

jerryc
03/24/2004, 09:16 AM
I found those Zoa's last night Jerry. I think they will look nice once they start to open up. THanks again, Danny

Great man afraid they might be goners :)

headhawg7
03/24/2004, 09:23 AM
Nope, still there.

thedogofwar
03/27/2004, 01:56 PM
I got my yellow tubastrea

but I found and want one of these white ones.

http://www.divegallery.com/tubastrea_2.jpg

drummerman2003
03/27/2004, 02:24 PM
wow those are cool

headhawg7
03/27/2004, 07:41 PM
Those are sweet. WOW. i want one.

thedogofwar
03/30/2004, 11:42 AM
yeah I thought so too. With my luck they'll probably be like seadragons and are restricted.

lil'salty
03/30/2004, 12:30 PM
well talked to exotics they got a nice little mandarin for me and a green clown goby to replace the one i gave away when i moved
might get a little max from them as well
and when one of you guys has a frag of blue tort let me know! lol

Scuba Dog
03/30/2004, 12:36 PM
lil'salty

Im bumpin up to 250 hqi soon, just have to wait for pay day...then once i figure out how to get the fixture on my tank ill be planning for a blue tort and tenuis....but I only know one person that has one, the cheapist i have found a blue tort thus far is about 60 bucks....

lil'salty
03/30/2004, 12:38 PM
not to bad i have seen them for over 100

Scuba Dog
03/30/2004, 12:41 PM
lil'salty

Etrtopicals has them but there a bit pricy, 89 to 95 bucks..a pop...its the califorina tort....there is also a oregon strain out there as well.......

Scuba Dog
04/25/2004, 10:03 PM
Just bumpin up this thread, Im after the same ole stuff sps and zoa's...when I get my wifes car fixed, there is a mystery problem with it now, and we get back from vacation next month I plan On making a lone line pirchase for sps clams and what not cool zoa's as well....

jerryc
05/04/2004, 01:56 PM
Does anybody in the club have true blue mushrooms