PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Question

funloven
03/17/2004, 10:02 PM
After reading the 3 articles from the New Tank Thread I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

First, I have a sump with a bio-wheel system in it. Is this considered a Wet/Dry System?

Second, if so, why is a Wet/Dry System not recommended for the Reef Aquarium?

Hope I posted this right.

Thanks ahead of time for any help I can get.

gregt
03/17/2004, 10:07 PM
Yes, a bio weel would be considered a wet/dry system.

These types of systems are VERY good at providing a home for the bacteria that produce nitrates because they like a oxygen rich environment. The problem is that they become so efficient that the bacteria that complete the process and convert the nitrate to nitrogen gas cannot do their job. This results in a buildup of nitrates over time, which is considered a bad thing in a reef tank.

HTH

funloven
03/18/2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks for such a quick answer.

So about my biowheel - is there anything I can do, short of replacing the entire system, that will help the bacteria with their nitrogen conversion so my tank will be optimal for reefing?

gregt
03/18/2004, 07:16 PM
Remove the bio wheel and be sure you have enough llve rock to provide a home for denitrifying bacteria. I'm also an advocate of heavy skimming, so I'd add a quality skimmer to the sump to replace the wheel.

funloven
03/18/2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks, again, Greg. I have a 65 gal. tank with lots of LR in it so I'm set there. I'll talk to my DH about the bio-wheel. I don't feel that the owner of the pet store where we get all of our things has really been a very big advocate of Skimmers, but I know that a lot of people think they are a must.

So that's all of the questions I can think of for now.

Till later!