PDA

View Full Version : Rose Anemone Forced Splitting Pt.II

lebowski
03/17/2004, 06:14 PM
Hey Anthony,

I've started several threads on RBTA anatomy and behavior.. I just set up a 20gal prop tank dedicated to grow out RBTA clones... I would like to get it going if you know what I mean.. I am in no rush however to risk my anemone's lives..

Could you possibly give me some resources on forced RBTA splitting ( mouth cutting ).. How effective is this method? What is the mortality rate? I would not really want to risk the death of my RBTA, however would risk it on a clone...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Take care!

Elvis

TippyToeX
03/17/2004, 06:28 PM
Hey Elvis

Have you read these threads? Linky 1 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249044&highlight=Splitting+a+BTA) Linky 2 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157929&highlight=BTA+cutting) Linky 3 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106163&perpage=25&highlight=BTA%20cutting&pagenumber=1) A few others can be found on RC as well.

If you can get a subscription to Knop's US mag CORAL (http://www.coralmagazine.com/) there is an issue coming soon that covers forced splits of RBTA. :) If you can't get the copy PM me with a fax number or your addy and I will send you a copy.

Also I just did it a few weeks ago. :) To an 8" RBTA. I took a ton of pictures. Once I sort them all out I will email them to you and we can go over what I did if that would help.

HTH

Amy

BTW, love the new avatar! Bless the G5

lebowski
03/17/2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks Amy,

Have you seen my thread with my pics in the Photography forum? I really got the hang of the cam!

I'll check out those links.. I've been doing alot of researching lately.. Those pictures would REALLY help!

Please send them when available! vplebowski@sbcglobal.net

Take care!

Anthony Calfo
03/17/2004, 09:47 PM
Amy... thanks and great job with the links/references!

Elvis, I do not want to discourage you at all from any sort of reef farming... but truth be told, you really have to take the time to consider what farming really means and how practical (if even possible by definition of true "farming") it is in a mere 20 gall aquarium. Thers no dishonor in being limited by space/funds, etc. But there is in risking animals lives because a desire exceeds ones means.

In the limited medium of text messages here, I wish to make it clear that I am not being critical of you withthe intent to hurt you feelings at all. On the contrary... I wish to see you succeed! I just see so many aquartists with great hopes and dreams set themselves up for failure/dissappointment because they are not realistic or because someone that cares did not set them straight (my intent here).

To be specific: splitting rose anemones aside... the keeping of a single anemone in a 20 gallon is alone concerning for long term health and the spirit on conscientious aquarium keeping. To then feed it heavily for optimal health/suitability to split and then make/take clones is impractical if even appropriate/ethical.

A bigger tank is needed here mate. I'd recommend a 90 gallon minimum for farming this animal for stability of water quality and so many more reasons.

Even then you will not keep much more than a dozen. Trust me/my experience here if you will.

kindly,

Anthony

lebowski
03/17/2004, 09:54 PM
Well, I won't argue against someone with as much knowledge/experience as you.... I will take your advice..
:D Luckily I added that I have a 20g prop tank! I could find uses for it such as a QT tank....

Again, I wasn't intending on actually force splitting my anemone, I would rather rely on mother nature... I could not even go near anything in my tank with a razor...

Take care and thanks for your advice!

TippyToeX
03/17/2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by lebowski
I could not even go near anything in my tank with a razor...

You just wait, that will change one day soon.

Will look at your pics in the photo forum now. :) I will also send those pics to you when they are ready.

Anthony Calfo
03/17/2004, 10:12 PM
no worries my friend. I hate to mention such things so abrubtly... but its better oftentimes to be concise and spare you the troubles and them their lives. This one really is cut and dry: no room in a 20 gall for much more than one healthy BTA... 2 or 3 at best if small and still not enough to be/call farming.

Do chalk this one up to "its greater later"... and keep dreaming and contemplating such aspirations for later when you have more space.

In the meantime, if you do not have a dedicated QT tank... please use it for this purpose. Critical for long term success in this hobby (and all animal husbandry). Its dreadful to see the statistics of the turnover of new aquarists in our hobby (many of which are due to no QT and frustratrion over pests and diseases that could have easily been prevented).

Anthony

lebowski
03/20/2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks Anthony,

The 20 will come in handy regardless... It's just began cycling.

Thanks for your help and take care!

Elvis