PDA

View Full Version : Good Saltwater Stores in the San Fernando Valley Area?

phantomsax
03/17/2004, 02:40 AM
I recently went to the OC frag swap, had a great time, met a lot of cool people, and looking forward to Encino in April. But, I have been disenchanted with the stores in the San Fernando Valley area I have been going to. I was wondering if anyone had a couple GOOD stores they use and would recommend.

Driving a little to get somewhere like North Hollywood or destinations north is not a big deal to me, as right now I drive to Orange County every couple weeks to go shopping out there with my friend who lives in Irvine because prices, stores, knowledge, and selection seem so much better down there. But it would be nice to find things closer to home.

Thanks for the info!

-Brian

Salt Creep
03/17/2004, 10:59 PM
I used to go a lot to Aquarium City in Canoga Park, and Aquarium Center in Sherman Oaks. Also Mark's in Studio City.

Now my tank's too full.

Ken

David P
03/19/2004, 08:54 AM
Reef Scapes in Valencia. They have some odd ball live stock but a bit pricey.

richdragon32
03/19/2004, 12:52 PM
I agree with Salt creep. Aquarium City would be my first choice though. Then Mark's for very high quality livestock (almost looks fake cuz it's too clean). Oh yeah, if you're going to Mark's join their mailing list and you can get some discount coupons.

Richard

arielb1
03/19/2004, 03:50 PM
There is two that I like to go to;

1. Rainbow Aquarium in Van Nuys. It is woodman ave. They have good prices, good crew. I've only compared their water pump rio 1700 againist my lfs. Rainbow was $20.00 less.

2. Aquatic Outlet in Chatsworth 20535 Plummer St 818.678.6485
Big place, lots of choices, helpful crew, but to save you need a membership, otherwise, prices are competitive.

Let me know if anyone wants to spend the day store hoping. I'm learning this new hobby and would like to me people that can guide me.

richdragon32
03/19/2004, 04:45 PM
Hey arielb1, I'm in Granada Hills too. Good to have people in the hobby around the area. I like Rainbow Petstore, and have great selections and reasonable prices however the Aquatic Outlet one is not good at all. They're invert tanks were full of dying corals, and anemones.... The one in Inglewood however I like. :)

Richard

arielb1
03/20/2004, 03:34 PM
Richard,

Where in Inglewood? I thought Aquatic Outlet was a great store, but what do I know. I admired their corals, but again, I don't have much experience yet. I only have a clownfish and some snails. My tank is only 5 weeks old and I just started learning.

You seem to be very experienced. I admire the coral picture you thread displays. Is that from your tank? Btw, do you shop at Fumis on Chatsworth? What do you think about that store. I was there just this morning.

ariel

richdragon32
03/20/2004, 03:53 PM
Yes Fumi's owner name Daniel. He doesn't have much corals, mostly fish. Fumi's prices are reasonable and I have bought a few fish from there. I've been making requests for certain fish though for MONTHS and he's been lagging with getting them for me :-p.

The Aquatic Outlet in Inglewood you can see their site at www.aquaticoutlet.com That was actually the first one they opened and then opened the not so doing well one in Chatsworth.

BTW the picture in my avatar is not a coral :). It's an anemone which are invertebrates.

Richard

arielb1
03/20/2004, 04:59 PM
Richard,

Sorry, I meant anemone. I am still learning my terms and how to identify sea life. It it is hard trying to learn this stuff on the web. I've tried several books, however, the library always wants them back so quickly. After I learn more about why my skunk shrimp and the hermit crabs died on RC, they were only one week old before I lost them, then I plan to start searching for a good easy to read beginner's marine book I can call my own.

Meanwhile, if you have a suggestion what my next step should be for my want-to-be reef tank, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your time.
Ariel

richdragon32
03/20/2004, 05:02 PM
I have some books and magazines you can borrow. It helped me a lot, but the most helped was here on RC.

Richard

richdragon32
03/20/2004, 05:04 PM
E-mail me richdragon32@hotmail.com and I'll talk about your tank there because I don't want to hijack this thread :-p.

arielb1
03/20/2004, 05:18 PM
I would love the priviledge to borrow your materials. I'll pm you in about 10 min to give my details.

Thanks Richard.

thetedinator
03/20/2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by arielb1
I would love the priviledge to borrow your materials. I'll pm you in about 10 min to give my details.

Thanks Richard.

Not to continue the 'jacking of this thread but MASLAC has an extensive library. Members can borrow books, videos and dvds. Check their website for a list of some of the stuff.

Ted

Proxymoron
03/21/2004, 09:55 PM
When in the valley I usually go to Aquarium City as well.

I also like Underwater Depot on Ventura.
13708 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
Phone: (818) 789-7323

I haven't been there in awhile, but they have anyways been very helpful to me and their fish looked healthy.

I got my pygmy angel from them. At the time I was looking for a Kole Tang for after the pygmy and they recommended not to put the Kole (even a very small one) in a 10g qtank because it might stress it even though it would eventually move to my larger tank. I thought that was great advice you don't normally get from a LFS.

mcsock
04/11/2004, 11:02 AM
I was on my way to the MASLAC meeting Sat. night. I was almost out of 2 part calc. so after reading this post I desided to stop at a LFS on the way to the meeting. Underwater Depot is right off the freeway fast off and on. This will be my only stop in that place. I got what I wanted at 30% more than I pay locally, but their coral priced were totally nuts. I dont mind paying for what I need, but I will not pay one place that kind of a markup.

OUinLA
04/22/2004, 01:40 PM
yeah, their stuff is expensive. I buy my salt there and that's about it.

Proxymoron
04/23/2004, 09:41 AM
Sorry you had a bad experience there mcsock. I haven't been there in such a long time. I never saw any corals there when I use to go. Is that something new, Madison?

Madison, what salt are you buying from underwater depot? Aquarium City has a customer card and after you spend so much money you get a discount off your next purchase.

csunracer
04/23/2004, 03:44 PM
I'm beginning to think a "good saltwater store" is analogous to there being an "honest used car salesman". All kidding aside, in the SFV I like Exotic Life on topanga in chatsworth, aquarium city in canoga park, and marks in studio city. As is the case with most fish stores, know your stuff before you go in so you don't either get taken advantage of or buy the advice of misinformed and underpaid LFS employees.

richdragon32
04/23/2004, 03:55 PM
I agree with csunracer! especially Exotic life...

Proxymoron
04/24/2004, 12:02 PM
I went into Mark's once about a year ago. We were looking for external overhangs and they had one that really wasn't what I was looking for. I'm not sure who the guy was at the counter, but when we said thanks and started to walk out he said something like "what? you're not going to buy it??" LOL :D