PDA

View Full Version : saltwater service with delivery??

dgasmd
03/16/2004, 05:21 PM
Hey guys, I am looking to move to south FL and I heard from a buddy of mine that if I want I could just get saltwater delivered to my house for my tank. I wouldn't have ot mix my own, buy salt, etc. Is this true? Is this a common thing? Is it cost effective? What is the cost, ballpark, compared to mixing your own??

Treeman
03/16/2004, 07:57 PM
Yep, It is true. You can buy all the saltwater you want. The guy I use Has a minimuim of $65. For that he will bring about 700 gallons. The only thing you have to worry about is when and where they collect it.

dgasmd
03/16/2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Treeman
Yep, It is true. You can buy all the saltwater you want. The guy I use Has a minimuim of $65. For that he will bring about 700 gallons. The only thing you have to worry about is when and where they collect it.

Well, I guess that would be nice if I needed to do 700g water changes, but that will do jsut fine for my fill up.

Where do they collect it? Why does the "when"matter??

Thanks again for the info bud.

partagas
03/16/2004, 08:24 PM
because they are taking it out of the ocean.

dgasmd
03/16/2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by partagas
because they are taking it out of the ocean.

Care to expand chief??

Treeman
03/18/2004, 08:18 PM
If they take it out of the ocean on an outgoing tide the water is carrying all the contamainants out of the inland waterways. Off the roads, lawns etc... So they need to get it at just before high tide, incoming so that it is from as far out to sea as possible.

You can still get less than the 600-700 gallons but you still pay the min. So sometimes its not worth it. But if you do weekly or so changes what you can do is get a couple containers and and have him fill them when he is there. All you have to do is put an airstone or powerhead until you need it. You get 2 for the price of one :)

dgasmd
03/18/2004, 10:59 PM
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the info. So you can get up to 600-700 for the same $65? If that is the case, that is actually awesome. I will have a 200-300g container for water changes and a 300g sump. So, I could drain 200g from the sump and just ahve them fill it up and then fill up my other container, so I would only need then every other month and can still do large water changes once per month.

Treeman
03/19/2004, 07:03 AM
There you go. :) Thats what I mean. Just ask around and find somebody that has a GOOD rep.

sonic
03/22/2004, 11:50 AM
I did a little research when I got my 90, the best I found was VIP Water. he goes out everyday at the very end of the incoming tide so the water is nice and clean. He charges $80 for upto 200 gallons. Very nice guy, he does most (if not all) of the LFS here in Miami and some farther up north. hope that helps a buit.

dgasmd
03/22/2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info

xxaquanutxx
03/22/2004, 07:31 PM
pretty much all the aquarium stores here have a delivery service.. :) good Luck!

gpajon
03/31/2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by sonic
I did a little research when I got my 90, the best I found was VIP Water. he goes out everyday at the very end of the incoming tide so the water is nice and clean. He charges $80 for upto 200 gallons. Very nice guy, he does most (if not all) of the LFS here in Miami and some farther up north. hope that helps a buit.

Who did you speak to Rick or Charlie?