PDA

View Full Version : Are they all so expensive

Weege
03/16/2004, 08:29 AM
I was in Minneapolis this past weekend (from Iowa), and went to World of Fish. I was amazed at how expensive everything was in there, and at how few good corals they had. Are all lfs in the cities this expensive? I normally go to Sioux Falls, SD, to Mini Critters, or Safari Land. They are much less expensive. Mini Critters... any 3 corals for $99... and they have some nice ones.

I will say that World of Fish had some HUGE marine fish. I didn't know that puffers got that big. :eek2:

Just wondering if I went to the wrong store, or if this is the norm...

Thanks

manderson0805
03/16/2004, 11:36 AM
you went to the wrong store. Did you go down the street another 500 feet to Something Fishy? The prices are way lower than World of Fish, they have a larger selection, more friendly staff, want me to keep going?

JnS
03/16/2004, 11:40 AM
bigger city, bigger prices.

Weege
03/16/2004, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't know it was there. Kinda ****es me off, that I was that close, and didn't get there. I'll check out Something Fishy, next time.

JnS... I would have thought that with a bigger city, there would be more competition, driving prices lower. Guess I was wrong.

JnS
03/16/2004, 02:08 PM
just have to know the right people :) next time your up this way, let me know...I can hook you up with some corals at a reasonable price.

Weege
03/16/2004, 02:22 PM
That would be awesome, JnS... I appreciate the offer. I come up that way every now and then, just on a whim. Mostly because I love the chinese food at Panda Express in the MOA. I'll keep you in mind.

Soltaker
03/16/2004, 02:39 PM
yeah....I would stay FAR away from WOF if you intend on buying anything. In fact, I personally would rather go to Sea Dreams in Savage and pay even more for the exact same item sitting in a tank at WOF.

But, if you want a good deal, hook up with Jerry. He either has good stuff at his place or can get it for you. :D

JnS
03/16/2004, 02:58 PM
dragon house has the best chinese, they are located in Columbia Heights off 40th and Central. where in IA do you lve? I have some relatives down that way. also are you a member of the IAA? http://www.iowaaquaria.com (I made the site :) )

sol- when you coming to get some corals? :)

Weege
03/16/2004, 03:49 PM
Hey Soltaker... forgive my ignorance, but who is Jerry?

JnS... I am from Spencer area (NW corner of the state). Never seen the IAA site. I'll check it out. There is a Greater Iowa Marine Society, that I have seen. Thanks for the ingo.

Soltaker
03/16/2004, 04:42 PM
Weege,

Jerry is JnS's real name :)

Jerry, I am going to swin up tomorrow after work. I should be done around 1-ish...so it would probably be 2:30 or so by the time I get there. Also, depending on what I pick up from you, I may also pre-pay for some Cyclop-eeze :)

Weege
03/16/2004, 04:48 PM
Does Jerry have a store, or just a big tank, that he will sell stuff out of? I can't wait to get up there again, with my new info, and better places to go.

Thanks a ton, Guys!!!

JnS
03/16/2004, 05:01 PM
soltaker- cool

weege- email me and we can talk :)

Weege
03/16/2004, 05:08 PM
PM on it's way.

Thanks Jerry.

Atticus
03/17/2004, 11:59 PM
I can't believe I found a thread for an Iowa Aquarium Club in the Minnesota forum!!! BTW, JnS Nice work on the site!!!

JnS
03/18/2004, 11:48 AM
Atticus,
thank you :) still needs a little tuning, but when we started teh club a couple years ago it was on a free server..now we keep running out of bandwidth...lol

hope to see you around :)

otolith
03/18/2004, 10:08 PM
So Jerry, since you design web pages...why aren't you involved in the upkeep and development of TCMAS.org?!? :D

/threatens to link this thread to TRT

otolith
03/18/2004, 10:12 PM
Weege, not all stores up here are that expensive. In fact, if you're "lucky" you can find stores more expensive, but most are less, and you were really close to a good one. If you're going to be in the area, go to thereeftank.com and search for the TCMAS members area and post if you are looking for frags to trade or buy. You may get a few responses.

JnS
03/18/2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by otolith
So Jerry, since you design web pages...why aren't you involved in the upkeep and development of TCMAS.org?!? :D

/threatens to link this thread to TRT

I have asked if anyone needed help, but Clyde is on it now :)

otolith
03/19/2004, 07:47 AM
Good boy. :)