PDA

View Full Version : Easiest anemone to keep?

Clown Trigger
08/21/2001, 11:23 AM
I've heard that bubble tips are the easiest.
Is that true?
What others would be equally easy to keep (conditions permitting). The set up would be a 90 gallon tank with either a 4 x 96 watt pc set up or 5 vho.

Rick
08/21/2001, 12:09 PM
The condilactic, Atlantic anemone would be the hardiest but you might not want one in your reef ,they have a stronger sting . their cheap also ,around 5 bucks .I bought one 4 years ago for 2.50 and its huge .
I also have bubble tips . Bought one and now have 4, a year and a half latter .
I use vho lighting .
I feed all anems once a week ....Silversides,shrimp,or scallops .
They can eat like pigs if you let them . I give three pieces each every weekend feeding .

Rick

Clown Trigger
08/21/2001, 12:42 PM
Well I don't necessarily want something that will get "huge."
What I am thinking about is setting up the tank as I would a normal reef tank. Then the first thing I'd put in is the anemone, let it get settled....maybe even wait a few months and then maybe add some corals. I already have a reef tank which is packed with corals. I am not about to add an anemone to this set up and have it crawl all over everything searching for a place to make home :)

Also - which clownfish tend to make a host out of the bubble tips?

Rick
08/21/2001, 01:09 PM
Clown trigger
Sounds like a great plan , my bulb tips don't move around at all . when I first introduced it to the tank I let it settle where it wanted and within 4 months or so I had 3 . Just last month I had another split now I have 4 . I will probably start selling or trading them , do to the fact they take up two feet of my tank .
I will send you a couple pics email so you can see how big they grew in my tank in just a year and a half .
I don't know how to post pics here .
Maroon clowns love these anemones . my pair lays eggs every other week .

Rick

Clown Trigger
08/22/2001, 08:15 AM
Thanks Rick --- great pics! :)

Clown Trigger
08/22/2001, 08:17 AM
BTW - does any have a suggestion on where to purchase a good quality/healthy bulb tip anemone? Is there anyone on the board selling ones that budded off from their mother? I heard something a while ago that there was someone here who was selling like 25 of them :eek: