PDA

View Full Version : small leak in overflow

reefyguy
03/15/2004, 08:46 PM
I just bought a 200 gallon oceanic tank. It is used and has as small leak on one of the overflows. DOes anyone know anyone locally who will reseal a fish tank. I really dont have the exp. to do it myself
eddie

Fourseahorsemen
03/15/2004, 11:45 PM
Is the leak in the seam between an intank overflow and tank glass, or in a bulkhead leading out of the tank?

reefyguy
03/16/2004, 07:18 AM
it is in the seam. I have only water tested the tank. It is very small. However, I am worried about it getting worse. Also, one of the corners has a small flap of silicone (a portion where it looks like silicone becomes loose).

Fourseahorsemen
03/16/2004, 01:07 PM
still trying to picture where the leak is and how the overflow is constructed. If it is just in the divider between the overflow and glass then a small leak is no big deal at all.
However if the leak is in the tank itself, that is a problem. If the leak is in the glass to glass 90 degree connection at the corner of the tank then you could not use the overflow, just close it off and create a new overflow. The only way to be sure to seal a silicone leak is to completly remove the silicone and start again.
HTH,
4C