PDA

View Full Version : Local Shops

mojodeli
03/15/2004, 07:00 PM
what do you guys think of some of these stores. I'm not trying to stir the pot but when I lived in Minneapolis I thought SF and WOF were pretty good albeit pricey. Now that I've moved to Phoenix I see those stores as some of the worst and high priced stores I've ever been to.

I was just in MN a few weeks ago and $50 for a royal gramma is way out of line. Down here you can get them for $12. Heck yellow tangs cost $9-15 depending on where you shop. Mandarin are $12 and nice LPS and SPS are $20-70

LR is $3.50/lbs

Perhaps I'm seeing the differences of being in closer to LA....

Thoughts?

JnS
03/15/2004, 07:11 PM
you can get better prices because you are so close to LA...shipping brings the prices up ALOT.

I just payed 1.5 times what the corals costed me for shipping on 2 boxes of corals. so I can tell you its all about the shipping :)

DLeAnnM
03/15/2004, 10:09 PM
I wonder if the popularity of Saltwater Tanks plays a role in pricing also. (Along with the shipping). Is there more of a market in your area in Phoenix than say MPLS? Does the popularity reflect the pricing or the population? Just something else to consider and discuss.

JnS
03/15/2004, 10:41 PM
popularity of a coral will increase price as well, but shipping is the main cost.

lets say a RBTA sells for 100$ now these are well sought after so the market will keep the price up. too low of prices drive the market into the ground.

mojodeli
03/17/2004, 09:13 AM
I suspect the price variance in marine livestock is correlated to my close proximty to Los Angeles. The reefing community seems really small in the TC area. Here we have a thriving community replete with an astounding collection of exotic sps, lps and fish.

This is not intended to be a sales pitch but If I could orchestrate a group buy of very nice SPS colonies would you guys be interested? I merely have a contact for a very good LA cherry picker. I would make nothing on this deal and you guy would benefit by being to bypass several middle men.

LMK.

JnS
03/17/2004, 10:46 AM
got a nice cherry picker in LA already :) thanks for the offer.

mojodeli
03/17/2004, 04:23 PM
JNS,

cool beans. So you have a cherry picker and then folks buy through you? Do you mark up and take a profit?

Just trying to help out my fellow reefers with a 30% discount on stuff. I'm talking full 4-7" colonies for 15-40 bux - no tax and direct from the cherry picker.

JnS
03/17/2004, 07:47 PM
mojodeli-
I run my tanks as a business and still are able to give great prices :)
most of the people on this board have bought from me in the past. I also have my own hobby tanks I frag and such to help other hobbyiest get rollin :D

otolith
03/18/2004, 10:18 PM
mojodeli, I know of at least one person who would be interested in doing this as well. :D With a little asking around I could probably find a bunch of us that would be willing to get together on this.

And Jerry, don't worry, I'll still buy plenty from you. :)

mojodeli
03/18/2004, 11:50 PM
Hey otolith I grew up in roseville by lake owasso.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes. I only offered this deal because I have a good friend that is a cherry picker and I'm from MN. I'm not going to make a penny on this deal so accept it as a gesture of good will.

My friend is an SPS guy and does get some nice lps from time to time. Let me know how many people will be in on this deal before I can nail down the pricing structure.

Go Vikes.

otolith
03/19/2004, 07:49 AM
Sounds good.

JnS
03/19/2004, 11:19 AM
O I am not worried, cause I can get better prices :D

mojodeli
03/20/2004, 11:04 AM
JNS is obviously threatend by my gesture so I'm gonna pull away with my offer...

otolith
03/20/2004, 11:40 AM
Don't worry about Jerry, I'm pretty sure I'll buy enough stuff from him to put at least one of his kids through college. :)

JnS
03/20/2004, 12:07 PM
I am not threatened by your offer, I know I can beat any price you throw on the table :D
see you are buying from a transshipper, I buy direct..big price difference.

mojodeli
03/20/2004, 04:32 PM
I can buy direct too and unless you're spending over $9000/wk I'm my stuff is better and cheaper. (if you are really buying direct then you know the boys cater to the folks with the $$$) The difference between you and I is that I am passing on the savings to the reefing community where you profit. I am driven by Karma and you $$$$.

Whatever Jerry.

JnS
03/20/2004, 06:54 PM
see thats where you are wrong, but since you know everything...ahh forget..not worth my time........

mojodeli
03/20/2004, 08:55 PM
It's not that I know everything it's that I know people who know what they need to know. So forget what Jerry?? Taking over my thread? I hope so....:-) J/K

anyway, I've been conversing with with otolith off list. He says Jerry is a nice guy and reputable so I'll back off and let jerry do the helping.

JnS
03/20/2004, 09:00 PM
mojodeli,
feel free to help out hobbiest, I do, thats the reason I am in this biz, not to rip people off or make $, its all about the hobby to me, always has been and always will be. :)

otolith
03/20/2004, 09:03 PM
OK you two, go kiss and make up now. OK, if you don't want to kiss, a hug or a pat on the back will do. haha

JnS
03/20/2004, 09:04 PM
its all good over here, I have no hard feelings :)

Derek- you just wanted to get in on this thread ;) you professional thread jacker...lol

otolith
03/21/2004, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty good at taking threads off track. haha

mojodeli
03/21/2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks Derek. Shouldn't you be busy sticking things down people's throats and such?

otolith
03/21/2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by mojodeli
Thanks Derek. Shouldn't you be busy sticking things down people's throats and such?
That's my day job (and your question could be miscontrued in so many ways).

At night, I'm the RC therapist to help put out potential flame wars before too much gets burnt. :furious:

:jester: :beachbum: :thumbsup: :celeb3: :fun4: :spin1: :crazy1: