PDA

View Full Version : ok cant find southdown what is everybody using?

tim n heather
03/15/2004, 10:22 AM
ok, last couple of weeks been to La, east Tx, Southern Mo and nearly the other end of Tn, with my beagle hounds. stop all along the way looking for southdown sand. i am begining to believe it is magical pixi dust and just dosnt exsist. So what kind of sand is everybody using in the reef tanks? Have a 85 Gal wanting to get started but kind find sand:confused: All help would be appreciated.
tim n heather

headhawg7
03/15/2004, 10:36 AM
I am using caribsea live sand. I use about 3/4".

thedogofwar
03/15/2004, 10:58 AM
FIJI LS, I got it from NSA but they don't carry LS anymore. The caribsea weighs in at what about $2/lb? Not bad but theres no critters in it. you can get it at most pet smarts/co's

mcanavan69 is ordering LR from gulf view, maybe he could combine it with LS and save you some shipping?

Dionaea
03/15/2004, 02:28 PM
I used Arag-alive Bahamas Oolite (the smallest grain one).

James

jerryc
03/15/2004, 02:34 PM
Im going to use the cheapest I can find :( not going to
worry about critters :eek: hopefully someone that has
lot of good critters will donate our sail me a cup are two
like to have from from two or three places :bum:

Scuba Dog
03/15/2004, 02:48 PM
I just used some crushed coral since im not running a deep sand , and it came with the tank when i boght it last summer....

lil'salty
03/15/2004, 03:38 PM
i think southdown is called new castle
if you need a bunch you could order from http://www.purearagonite.com/
if you get a group buy together its like 15 dollarsfor 40 lbs bag
p.s. south down or new castle are used to make swimming pools
thats what i heard
i hope i could help

thedogofwar
03/15/2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by lil'salty
i think southdown is called new castle
if you need a bunch you could order from http://www.purearagonite.com/
if you get a group buy together its like 15 dollarsfor 40 lbs bag
p.s. south down or new castle are used to make swimming pools
thats what i heard
i hope i could help

You can find it labeled either way, depending upon location usually. I've never heard of it being used for pools but maybe. It is a playsand (sandboxes) free of silica for health concerns.

jerryc
03/15/2004, 03:55 PM
If Anyone orders let me know maybe i can go in and help out
with shipping

tiger_eyed1
03/15/2004, 05:12 PM
I consider myself an advanced level internet surfer. I haven’t been able to find any Southdown or Yardright dealers or distributors. I’ve called Lowes & Home depot stores all over the US and none carry it. The castle distributor in Houston has never heard of that type of tropical/natural sand and it’s not on their order sheet. I think someone on the web is playing a joke on us. I’m about to look on www.truthorfiction.com for Southdown.

I was going to order 2 bags from purearagonite . The guy was nice and told me just to go buy another brand from my LFS. 2 bags were $29.90 + $46 shipping. Shipping overrode any benifit from their low price. The nearest store that carries it is in Arlington, TX. He told me the best way to get it is go in on a order with a LFS.

In case you can't tell, i hate to pay shipping.

thedogofwar
03/15/2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by tiger_eyed1
I think someone on the web is playing a joke on us.

LOL, no it's not a joke. :) it does exist

home deopts sku# on it is 578819

Scuba Dog
03/15/2004, 05:26 PM
Well El Dorado is fianlly building a home depot untill then mabey we can get lucky there on the grand opening....

tiger_eyed1
03/15/2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by thedogofwar
LOL, no it's not a joke. :) it does exist

home deopts sku# on it is 578819

Called the conway home depot and that shu# is not in their system :( .

headhawg7
03/15/2004, 05:32 PM
I think you need to change the 5 on the front end of that SKU# to a 9. If I remember correctly, that 5 is for internet orders only and the 9 is what the inhouse stores will use. Also, if I again remember correctly, the store will not put a SKU# into their local database if it has not ever been inventoried.

thedogofwar
03/15/2004, 06:41 PM
BTW, thats OldCastle.

http://www.oldcastlecementmixes.com/products/category.asp?prodid=16&id=2&subid=4&gensubid=2#16

Call the HD in LR but I don't know what good it will do you. I already talked to them about getting it. They said I would have to purchase an entire pallet for them to special order.

how much is everybody looking for? With serious interest, I'd buy a pallet and mark it up just a bit and keep the profits for the club.

oh and prices have been rising, they may be getting wise to whats going on.

southdown info http://www.universitytesting.com/southdown.htm

jerryc
03/15/2004, 06:59 PM
I would take 160 pounds are there about

tim n heather
03/15/2004, 07:01 PM
we would take 200 lbs

lil'salty
03/15/2004, 08:28 PM
i know a member that ordered a whole pallet 4800lbs worth
said it came out to about 15 bucks a bag with shipping
thats a 120 bags and a total of about 1800 bucks or so
if you get 12 people to spend 150 dollars for 400lbs of sand
thats 38 cents a pound
i will check and find out if i'm right
i'm in for 150

tiger_eyed1
03/15/2004, 08:40 PM
WOW, I feel hornswaggled. I only need another 200lbs but I’d be willing to buy more just to have and resale to other reefers, as they need it. May even be able to trade with it. If those are the prices indeed I may buy as much as 500lbs.

Count me as one of the 12. Let me know who is going to do the order and i'll paypal you the money once we are ready to make the order.

tiger_eyed1

jerryc
03/15/2004, 09:48 PM
From what I've read it's mainly in the northeast stores

thedogofwar
03/16/2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by lil'salty
i know a member that ordered a whole pallet 4800lbs worth
said it came out to about 15 bucks a bag with shipping
thats a 120 bags and a total of about 1800 bucks or so
if you get 12 people to spend 150 dollars for 400lbs of sand
thats 38 cents a pound
i will check and find out if i'm right
i'm in for 150

:confused: 4800lbs/50=96bags

jerryc
03/16/2004, 08:17 AM
eMailed and checked out And price far individual order
200 lb figures out to .62 per lb are 200 for 123.80 shipped

lil'salty
03/16/2004, 01:57 PM
they are 40lb bags so 120 bags
i emailed them and we shall see about a totall
still not a bad price
even if you only order 200 lbs
cheap and good i like

tim n heather
03/16/2004, 02:01 PM
keep us informed

lil'salty
03/16/2004, 02:05 PM
we will see when i get a return mail

thedogofwar
03/16/2004, 03:18 PM
Who did you email?
Southdown is 50lbs

lil'salty
03/20/2004, 03:04 PM
not south down it is pure aragonite
should have a quote on monday
they wanted more info
if some one has a business license then it would be even cheaper
but we will see

tim n heather
03/21/2004, 05:55 PM
keep us posted want 200# myself

Scuba Dog
03/22/2004, 03:09 PM
Looks like im in the market for some southdown as well..Not shure how much I will need, enough to start up a 240 wide though....

jerryc
03/22/2004, 03:21 PM
Roy that should help the order you going to use a dump truck

Scuba Dog
03/22/2004, 03:29 PM
jerryc

Actually I dont have a clue, IM going to do a SHB...Im way scared of deep sand beds..Ut in the refugium I might add a deep sand bed...and in the prop tank section of the sump I might add a DSB there also...well a couple of wheel barrels anyway...

lil'salty
03/22/2004, 07:20 PM
okay yall i got the quote
it is 1111.50 for a 2800 # pallet shipped
but if we need a lift gate truck it is another 45 bucks
and if it is delivered to a house it is another 65
so 70, 40 pound bags is 15.87 a bag
if the above fees apply it is 17.45 a bag
so .39 to .44 a pound depending
that seems like a good deal to me
don't know if i will be able to get any soon but i know there are a few people up here that would like some
plus shipping might be cheaper to ar than mo

lil'salty
03/22/2004, 07:25 PM
it is 2800 pound pallet not 4800
but still about what i said to start with

tim n heather
03/23/2004, 03:52 PM
let us know what everybody is doing we will take 4 bags. let us know where to send the money

thedogofwar
04/01/2004, 04:55 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=348819

tiger_eyed1
04/07/2004, 03:57 PM
I just got off phone with Home Depot customer support. They gave me some magic numbers and looked up the inventory of some stores in WI. They have a lot of Southdown sand up there. Support told me to call my local store to have it transferred so I did. Local stores is full of #@) $*&. They flat out didn’t want to help.

I called the Menomonee Falls store and the guy there is going to try to do a store transfer for me. He’s going to call me back to confirm. This is my last try on getting Southdown.

jerryc
04/07/2004, 04:03 PM
brownie points to tiger_eyed if we Had them For never giving up:smokin:

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 04:24 PM
^HEH!

Make sure you ask how much to get it shipped. I figured everyone was leaning more towards the aragonite. I know I am for the next build. I'm not a fan of southdown but good job Marcus for helping some members out.

I'll be ordering up 1/2 pallet of the arogonite in a couple weeks. I'm not depending on what everyone was wanting, I'm getting it anyway. so no worries grab up this SD if you can get it and want it.

jerryc
04/07/2004, 04:50 PM
Ill use Whichever we can get I can't afford $4.00pd far sand

tiger_eyed1
04/07/2004, 05:47 PM
LR store may help me. BOOOO CONWAY BOOOOO

White Castle & North Hills Block are the names on the bags

Hopefully i can get it transfered to the Little Rock store. That way we only pay retail. The said nothing about making me pay shipping for a store transfer. If theysay i havt to pay shipping i'll have to revaluate. The store manager said yes to ordering it once i told him i would buy it up front. However he said his regional manager has to approve adding the shu# to his system. Hopefully i'll get a call Tomorrow. I tolh him i wated 12 bags but would check with my friends to se how much they wanted. The store i found in WI has 58 bags in stock. Dout they would send us that much though.

When asked, why do you want this type sand. I said, "It's 100% natural and slica free." I could tell they thought i was weird. Didn't want to let on for fear of a price hike.

thedogofwar
04/07/2004, 06:29 PM
good thinking Marcus, we have to be careful about that. better to be a wierdo than a sucker!

tim n heather
04/07/2004, 06:32 PM
hey, we'll take 6 bags of that sand from home depot

Viper9
04/13/2004, 12:50 PM
Hi everybody,

Glad I found a group in AR, I am getting ready to change my freshwater tank to salt

Keep me informed of the progress-I will need about 9 bags of the sand formally called Southdown (~450 pounds).

Once I get it set up would anybdoy be willing to sell me a cup or two of live sand to get it started?

Thanks! Look forward to meeting ya'll

Bill

thedogofwar
04/13/2004, 01:27 PM
Bill,

I'm glad you found us too andlook forward to meeting you too, I love new members, especially from central AR.

I don't think the SD thing is going well. HD sux!

I'll be glad to donate a couple cups of sand to ya.

have you registered at the site yet?

Viper9
04/13/2004, 02:04 PM
I signed the guest book but didn't see where to register-I'll go back and look.

I guess I may try Toy-R-us and see what they have if not I might try the Quikcrete sand. Still researching exactly what I want to do-this is one expensive hobby! Thanks for the sand offer-I will take you up on it once I get the tank setup

I like your car! Ever go on cruises? Always looking for other cars to play with :):)

Bill

thedogofwar
04/13/2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Viper9
I signed the guest book but didn't see where to register-I'll go back and look.

I guess I may try Toy-R-us and see what they have if not I might try the Quikcrete sand. Still researching exactly what I want to do-this is one expensive hobby! Thanks for the sand offer-I will take you up on it once I get the tank setup

I like your car! Ever go on cruises? Always looking for other cars to play with :):)

Bill

Thanx!
I get out once in awhile. what year/model is the viper? Stock? I'm not that fast yet, let me add a bottle to make up for the extra displacement. :P are you a LRRS member?

I have a bag of the quickcrete if you go that route. It is a silica based sand but I've got info stating it's not a problem as some seem to think. I never even thought of Toys-R-Us but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't carry any at all.

Brandon

Viper9
04/13/2004, 02:28 PM
It's just an old used 98 RT/10, totally stock-bought it about a year ago. Gave up trying to talk the wife into mods-the power still scares her ;). If you want to see a pic drop me an e-mail (bwehmer@hotmail.com)

'Course it looks like I'll be spending my extra $$ on a fishtank so I'll be happy. I just registered on the site

From what I have read the silica based sand is ok-I would prefer Southdown (or whatever they call it now) and I just can't see paying the on line vendors what they want for their sand. If my tank wasn't so big I would but I can't break the bank just on sand and rocks. I plan to start real slow and then slow down some more :) From what I have been reading it will take 6 months to a year for my tank to mature (mostly base rock/dead sand)

Bill

Scuba Dog
04/13/2004, 02:48 PM
Viper9

Welcome to the club, Its always great to see new members, the club is starting to take offm and the best of luck on the swap over to salt....

Viper9
04/13/2004, 02:59 PM
Brandon,

What's the LRRS?

Bill

thedogofwar
04/13/2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Viper9
Brandon,

What's the LRRS?

Bill

Little Rock Racing Scene, local car enthusiasts. I was trying to join the Arkansas F-Body club only to find they had merged together with this group. I'm a member but I don't socialize with many of them. Alot of Rice and arrogant guys that I just don't get along with. Theres no room for debate with them.

Viper9
04/13/2004, 04:03 PM
Hmmm...doesn't sound like a group I would enjoy. I'm not into the bragging scene, I don't need to put spoilers or trash can sized exhaust tips to make my ride look bad. I like to take cruises and if the road is nice and the coast clear a high speed jaunt now and then. One of teh best cruises I have ever gone on was down in New Orleans with some Ferrari's-I've a killer pic taken at 140+ behind at 1962 Ferrari 330TRI, this car was a one of one-it is the car that won the Gran Prix and 24 hour Lemans that year. The owner saw it in a muesum, fell in love with it, bought it and drives it on the street. It was featured in a Ferrari magazine. He is one of the nicest, down to earth car fanatics I have ever met.

Guess I'm to old for street racing anymore. If I really want to play I go to Dallas or New Orleans and play on a track :):)

Bill

tiger_eyed1
04/15/2004, 02:51 PM
I found another thread about this mystery sand here on reefcentral. Looks like it's only in the N.E. and the suppliers/Stores have no plans on bringing it to our area. Like all the others, the HD people here in AR amused me for a while then let me down.

Pet paradise in Batesville just ordered a pallet or pure-aragonite. Not sure of the price. Tried to call but their line was busy. Someone in that area want to check the price.(Jerryc)

I'm going back to Houston next week. Global Fish N Pet sells pure-aragonite for $22/40lb bag +tax. I'm going to pick up a few bags unless it'll be cheaper in batesville.

tiger_eyed1
04/15/2004, 04:46 PM
Not cheaper in Batesville, but will have a entire pallet next week. They are an official distributor of purearagonite now.

Ok, got through to Pet Paradise (870-698-9152). They quoted me $30 +tax for the 40lb bag. I'll be getting mine from houston while i'm down there for $22.

Scuba Dog
04/16/2004, 10:01 AM
tiger_eyed1

A bit off subject but the word is that There are some rose buble tip aneomies in Houston for like 20 bucks...too bad Im not headed down that way lol

thedogofwar
04/16/2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Scuba Dog
tiger_eyed1

A bit off subject but the word is that There are some rose buble tip aneomies in Houston for like 20 bucks...too bad Im not headed down that way lol

hmm, let me paypal you some $ Marcus!

tiger_eyed1
04/17/2004, 06:33 PM
Second thought, I'm to new at this to be transporting marine life over state lines. If I get pulled over they may take me in for saltwater trafficing. "Sure Mr., that's ocean salt" says office Bar Bradey.

I'm sticking to sand for now.