PDA

View Full Version : royal gramma behavior

kraka40
03/14/2004, 08:29 PM
Hi Henry,

I feel like I'm overreacting here .. but maybe you can help. Friday I purchased my first fish for my 50 gal, a royal gramma. He looked great at the LFS.

After bringing him home, acclimating him to the tank, he immediately hid below a rock. A bit later he discovered one of many caverns and went in only to come out on Saturday. Saturday, he exhibted a much more adventurous attitude, venturing out from his cave often, eating, and discovered a new cave.

Well today he has only come out of the new cave 3x .. each time it seems to quickly scavenge for some food.

Do I need to worry, or is this completely normal behavior? The only reason I'm a bit concerned is that I noticed 2 white spots on each of his dorsal and rear tail. I haven't had the opportunity to see if they are there today ( thought they may just be sand )

Anyway .. thanks for any help and assurances you can give!!

hcs3
03/14/2004, 08:44 PM
it may be taking a couple days to settle in. this is normal. once settled, it should spend the majority of its time in the open water.

if you get a good look at the growths on the fish, have a look at this: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=46871

HTH

henry

kraka40
03/14/2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks! I'll keep watching.

I dropped a pellet in the tank earlier and he appeared from a new hole in my centerpiece LR. I believe he has found a large open cavity in the middle of the Rock. I'm sure he's lovin' it.

Thanks!