PDA

View Full Version : Good Marine fish stores in Omaha???

Weege
03/14/2004, 10:04 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can find a couple of good marine fish stores in the Omaha area? If you have addresses, or phone numbers, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks....

koikeeper
03/14/2004, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately there are not that many good ones. We can probably help you better if we know what you are looking for. Some are definately better with fish, while others sometimes have soft corals, sps is not easy to find here.

The three stores I visits are AquaPets, Bellevue Pet Center and Reef Techtonics.

Aquapets is good for a wide selection of healthy marine fish. Nothing in the way of liverock or corals here the few times I have been. Worth the visit to see his 400 gallon salt display tank :) Tricky to find though even when you have directions. Hiding in the back of a plaza strip.

Bellevue Pet Center carries fish (ok), liverock (poor usually- little growth, or algae infested :(), and corals which ranges from non-existent some days to not too bad on others. Don't bother to request fish here as you'll be lucky if they ever come in. Easy to find store. Right off of the freeway about a mile up the road.

ReefTechtonics: small selection of fish (but he can and does order them in). Liverock looked really nice both times I have gone. Corals were a small selection on one visit and then on the second a not too bad selection. Usually have inverts in. Major plus of reeftechtonics is that he bought a fish cabinet makers business. I recommend the cabinets they build for tanks 200% absolutely wonderful work (quality and structural integrity), and unlike some cheap wood stands; when they stained it cherry it looks wonderful. Very small store, and not easy to find. Q street stops at one spot and starts again in another so that does not help when looking for the store!

*grabs phone book*

IN ALPHA ORDER:

Aquapets: 933-9395 3327 N. 109th Plaza. NW corner of 108th and Maple on the back side of the little strip mall.

Bellevue Pet Center: 293-1050 Take I-75 south to the Bellevue 370 exit. If coming from the north take a left at the end of the ramp. If coming from the south take a right at the end of the exit ramp. Once you turn get in the left lane and stay there for approx 1/2 to 1 mile. It it the big YELLOW building on the left in the no frills shopping plaza. Very hard to miss. Scott is the fish guru and a great help. Guy behind the desk is usually rude and not worth your time.

Reef Techtonics: 330-7662 Located at Q street and south 136th or so. actual adress is 5078 s. 136th street. I can't help much on directions as I usually get pretty lost every time I go and end up finding it on accident. If Mike is there you'll get some great knowledged help.

Here is a past thread where we talked about fish stores some:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=269086

Also notice the people who run amazing aquatics are in omaha so here is there web adress:

http://www.amazingaquatics.com/

You just might convince them to do a pickup in person :)

Koi

Weege
03/16/2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks, Koikeeper...

dellrio
04/02/2004, 08:48 PM
i recommend aquapets... nice emplyess with knowledge. good prices and customer service. not a ton of corals.. but some and decent prices on them...