PDA

View Full Version : chaetomorpha needed

Dr.King
03/14/2004, 12:21 AM
I am in the processs of stocking my refugium and I need macro algae. I have heard that chaetomorpha is the best algae for this purpose because it won't release toxins back into the water and won't go sexual. Does anyone have any chaetomorpha for sale? If so please PM me, thanks.

Scout
03/14/2004, 06:18 AM
I'll bring you a bag to the meeting. I have several types of caulerpa also. My fuge has been running 6 months and nothing has gone sexual.

Mike

Dr.King
03/14/2004, 07:39 AM
Thank you.

kwjones
03/15/2004, 08:35 AM
I'll be needing some Chaeto in 2 or 3 weeks myself. Scout, what types of caulerpa do you have? I used to have feather on my TBS rock, but the heniochus/snails/crabs ate it all. I'm looking for something that will grow in low to moderate light (36 watts on a 10 gallon refugium). Is a reverse lighting schedule or a 24/7 better?

Thanks,

Kevin

JJM
03/15/2004, 08:38 AM
me need macro !!!!

Scout
03/15/2004, 09:28 AM
I probably have all the different makes. Feather, Grape, Razor and 2 other unidentified macros and well as the Chaeto. I have 28 watts of PC lighting over a 10 gal. I've read where different marcos have different needs, so I decided to go with the shotgun approach and use all available macro. Been running 6 months now with all marcos doing great and nothing has gone sexual. I have to cut every 2 weeks. since this is all in a 10 gal, I really don't get alot of cuttings at one time. Before DRC I just threw it in the trash. I will post here letting everyone know a couple of days before I "mow the grass". I'll bring as much as I can Weds.

Mike

Scout
03/15/2004, 09:33 AM
Kwjones, sorry missed you last question. I do not reverse or run 24/7. I really don't have much of a problem with PH swings. That's why people run reverse. 24/7 will cause your marco to grow faster and some claim that this keeps them from going sexual, again mine never have. Since my setup is next to my main tank in the living room, I don't want the lights on in the middle of the night and really don't see a need for it.

Mike

kwjones
03/15/2004, 04:25 PM
So, how does one go about establishing macro in the refugium? Put a piece of LR rubble on top to wheigh it down, rubberband, zip tie? Any macro I had before it was eaten was just growing on the rock by itself and didn't spread very much.

Scout
03/15/2004, 05:23 PM
I just dropped some small pieces of rock on top of most of it or wrapped it around some of the larger rock. I do have about 1/2 inch of sand in there. All except the chaeto develop roots. The roots will also grip the coraline on the sides of the tank.

Mike

kwjones
03/31/2004, 09:35 PM
Mike,

I still don't have my fuge set up, so I was keeping the macro you gave me in a large plastic bowl with a piece of base rock and 18 watts of power compact lighting. I got tired of changing the water in the bowl every day with water from my tank, so I made a temporary in tank refugium out of a one gallon acrylic "Critter Keeper" box that I used to keep a betta in. I went to pull the rock out and all the algae came out with it, so it's deffinately taking root on the base rock, in fact I think it's growing pretty good. :D

The critter keeper in the bottom of my tank looks a little weird, but none of my herbivores are able to get to the macro and I don't have to worry about changing the water every day now.

Thanks again,

Kevin