PDA

View Full Version : MARS DIY Skimmer V2 Ready for Construction

Brian Prestwood
03/13/2004, 04:24 PM
I've finished testing the skimmer. It works very well. Again, it can hang on, stand free, or sit in the sump. I'll bring one to the March meeting.

I've designed these for easy construction. I'm going to kit them out before the DIY session. In other words, I'll do all the cutting, drilling, tapping and glueing ahead of time. The DIY session will consist of final assembly of the threaded and friction fit pieces.

Who wants one? Please indicate black ABS or clear PVC contact chamber.

Details...

This skimmer is 32" tall and uses a MAG 7 pump. It is rated for aquariums up to 400 gallons. It should fit comfortablly under a 36" (counter height) stand.

The parts cost $135 with a black ABS contact chamber. If you want a clear PVC contact chamber the cost is $175.

The return riser sets the minimum water level at the bottom of the collection cup riser (throat). Therefore, the tall collection cup gives you a clear view of the water level and foam height. There is no need to see into the contact chamber to adjust the skimmer. Here's a picture...

http://www.marineaquarist.org/Portals/9e47b9dd-73aa-4c61-8ad9-7eadcacbad35/IMG_0039.JPG

We can also make a 26" tall with a MAG 5 pump. This model is rated for a 250 gal tank. The parts cost $125 with a black ABS contact chamber. If you want clear PVC contact chamber the cost is $155. This model should fit comfortably under a 30" (table height) stand.

If you are going to hang either of these skimmers on your aquarium you will need at least 6" of clearance between the wall and the aquarium.

Also, the collection cup sticks up approx 12" above the contact chamber. You'll need that much room above the top of your aquarium.

Here's the latest diagram...

http://www.marineaquarist.org/Portals/9e47b9dd-73aa-4c61-8ad9-7eadcacbad35/SkimmerBlockDiagram.jpg

Here's the latest parts list...

Parts List (http://www.marineaquarist.org/Portals/9e47b9dd-73aa-4c61-8ad9-7eadcacbad35/SurgeBucketPartsList.htm)

If you've been following the threads on this DIY project you'll notice that the final design looks a lot like the original. Using black ABS or clear PVC for the contact chamber allowed me to tap through the wall of the contact chamber and eliminate a lot of parts.

Skimmer Comparison...

Comparing pump size and contact chamber volume the MARS skimmer is roughly equivelent to a EuroReef CS6-2+ which is rated for a 125 gal aquarum. A CS6-2+ costs $420 on Marine Depot.

However, the foam contact time in the recirculating foam loop design is much longer. This is the same foam generatoin technique as the Dutch Aquarium Systems and AquaMedic Turboflotor 4000-10000 series skimmers.

Again, comparing pump size and contact chamber volume, the MARS skimmer is equivelent to the Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000 shorty which is rated for a 400 gal aquarium. The 5000 Shorty retails for $500 on Premium Aquatics...

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000 Shorty (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=AM-71016&Category_Code=Aquamedic)

Brian Prestwood
03/13/2004, 06:04 PM
Oops, wrong parts lists in the previous post. Here's the correct one...

Skimmer Parts List (http://www.marineaquarist.org/Portals/9e47b9dd-73aa-4c61-8ad9-7eadcacbad35/Skimmer%20Parts%20List.htm)

tpete
03/15/2004, 01:44 AM
Brian, does the $135 cost include the pump? I would like for my hob skimmer to fit the back, 1" overhang, or the side, 4" overhang. Can you make something for it to easily switch between the two? Count me in. Black plastic is ok for me. Thanks, Terry

Photon
03/15/2004, 03:13 AM
Brian,
What is the footprint for the shorter skimmer?
James

skierguy
03/15/2004, 04:03 PM
Would the 26'' tall skimmer be overkill for a 55gal tank? Is there another skimmer out there at this pricepoint that might be a better fit?

Brian Prestwood
03/16/2004, 10:23 AM
Terry

The $135 includes the main pump. Recirculating skimmers like this require two pumps, a larger one (the MAG 5 or 7) to generate the foam, the other smaller one (e.g. RIO 600) to pump water from the tank to the skimmer. You can also put a "T" on your main circulation loop to pump water to the skimmer. That's what I do. The $135 does not include the small pump to pump water to the skimmer.

To fit both overhangs we'll probably have to make you two hang-on collars. They're made from scrap plexi-glass so their cheap, around $2.

Is the 6" clearance between the wall the and tank a problem for you?

Brian Prestwood
03/16/2004, 10:36 AM
James

The foot print for both models is the same, 6" by 13".

The pump sits up high so calling it a 13" footprint is a little misleadng. At its widest girth it is 13" wide.

skierguy
03/16/2004, 03:00 PM
Does any one think that this skimmer will be too much for a 55 gal? I am looking for a skimmer design and am worried that this might be like strapping a 454 to a bicycle.

Brian Prestwood
03/16/2004, 06:14 PM
Skier Guy

Sorry I didn't get back to you.

To much skimmer, perhaps. You might not want to run it 24 hours a day. I like running mine when the lights are on. I tested restarting this one and it works well.

tpete
03/16/2004, 10:02 PM
Brian, the 6 " clearance works for me. An inch to spare. For the smaller pump are you recommending something like a 200-300gph powerhead? Thanks, Terry.

Brian Prestwood
03/17/2004, 12:32 AM
Terry

That should work. However, if you're buying a new one then something in the 100-200 GPH like a RIO 600 or smaller would do.