PDA

View Full Version : crack

goby
05/04/2000, 11:56 PM
badgers,

I have an aga 125 RR tank, and it has been just fine. I have moved it several times, and have had rock fall on the front glass (while in the tank "decorating"), cats jump in the hood daily, etc. and have had no problems whatso ever. The tank is rock solid... pardon the pub, but its "built like a tank"

g
o
b
y

------------------
It's all fun and games until someone looses and eye....
www.iag.net/~vigg (http://www.iag.net/~vigg)

badgers
05/05/2000, 10:22 AM
I have a friend who had the same experience as larry with the same size tank. 125Gallon, sorry JSC but you may get that 180 after all :D
are there any other "problem" sizes?
I ask this because 125 seems to be a magic number for unexplained breaking.
only other tank breaks have been due to owner error, hitting, dropping, live rock falls, gross unleveling, ect.
any input will be appreciated.

------------------
I'm so skeptical, I can hardly believe it!
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Staceon
05/05/2000, 10:50 AM
Badgers,

I realize this maybe not what you were asking about,but I had 2 of the 65 gallon AGA hexagon tanks that both poped a hole in the seems and shot water all over the floor. Second time the hole was close to the bottom, do not need to tell what happend there.

badgers
05/06/2000, 12:36 AM
staceon: That is what I am looking for.
I was hoping that we could find out if there any common tank sizes/shapes that have problems.
Goby: I am glad it works for you. I have never had such a thing happen and I don't know what I would do if it did.
thank you for your time and have a good day

------------------

Heinrich
05/06/2000, 01:06 AM
Well badgers I had the pleasure to return a few allglass tanks. The worst are the black silicone and the XH tanks. All the glass hexes are notorious for leaking. Simply many more panes of glass that the slightest unevenness will over time cause leakage.
So bad sizes are anything that is 24" high or higher. Allgalss doesn't go an extra size up in glass thickness nor do they add a glass centerbrace. So the 125 4x2x2 is quite a problem case. They don't calculate for added height. I believe the 180g is one size up and therefore the glass is stronger. I can't believe they would have a plastic centerbrace. They used to have to smaller glass strips but now a plastic centerbrace, argh. One thing that really bothers me is that a crack grows that fast. In most tanks it would take quite a while for a defect in the glass to spread if the pressure was evenly distributed. I noticed a crack on a clients Master aquarium that was similar just from the left corner up and within four days it slowly moved upward to the point where we drained the tank and removed the rock and livestock.
Generally Allglass aren't bad, their customer service isn't bad, if I had to pick between the two makes Island and Allglass (cheap tanks) I would still pick Island for their better quality although Allglass has better customer service.
37g Allglass is also a leaker. Along with the 65g 36"
the bowfronts on the other hand seem to be pretty good quality, rather strange. It always depends on who was working and when it was built, and especially who inspected it.
Talking about tanks built like a tank. A friend of mine has a 150g Oceanic that slid down a flight of stairs right into the drywall and cracked some 2x4s still is up and running after 4 years as a tank after that mishap.
A tank is defined differently I guess. What is it UPS said, anything we ship has to be able to handle a 24" drop. And they're known for good shipping practices. :)
93! Heinrich

Wolverine
05/06/2000, 12:33 PM
Staceon, those hex tanks have a high tendency to leak at the seams because the edges of the glass usually aren't bevelled to the right angle, so the panes won't have a great connection at the junction. At the LFS I worked in people were bringing them in all the time to get the resealed; and this was true of all companies, not just AGA. Our store wouldn't even sell them, but our owner would still go through and reseal them for people.

Dave

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/lcrandall/reefpage.html

badgers
05/06/2000, 06:08 PM
WHAT!!!! :eek:
I have a 110 XH AGA its 30" high!!!!!!

------------------

Greg Hiller
05/07/2000, 11:00 PM
I've also had two 60 gallon All Glass hex tanks leak on me. This design sucks. Finally traded in my credit for a 54 gallon corner and resealed the bottom seam myself. I've also had the 65 gallon standard All Glass leak on me.

- FWIW,

- Greg Hiller

Heinrich
05/08/2000, 02:24 PM
Don't worry badgers, simply fill the tank no higher than 18" you'll be safe then. ;);0 :)
You could do what a friend of mine did. Simply silicone an additional centerbrace or better on the XH is adding a 1.5" seem on the top. The top and back over the side pannel strips and siliconing them together. A $20 life insurance policy.
The return rate of XH is less than 3-5% so not as bad as hex tanks...
Worst are the black silicone tanks which simly so not adhere as well. Allglass really shouldn't sell XH tanks IMO. They do maninly to have a good all around selection. They've had to discontinue several types of XH that were just waiting to leak. Such as the infamous 30XH, the 55XH, etc.
You're good in DIY projects, simply order a Caulk gun tube of aquarium silicone from Aquatic-Ecosystems.com and 1/2" glass strips from your local glass shop.
93! Heinrich

Heater_Engineer
05/08/2000, 03:56 PM
125 AG had a pressure crack 7 months into the set on the bottom. I ended up with a lot of 55 gallon containers with water and rock. Lost some life stock and a lot of sleep. I was up for 48 hrs straight trying to save my carpet and padding. I swore off the hobby but my wife talked me back into it. Tank was still under warranty so AG replaced it. Now I have developed an obsessive compulsive disorder of getting up at night and checking my tank for leaks :D.

Stacy

Rad Reefer
05/08/2000, 09:01 PM
I had an AGA 90G RR that sprang a leak in the lower left hand corner where the fornt,end and bottom panel meet.Luckily enough i had an empty 75g to transfer everything into when this happened.All glass replaced the tank within a week.

I think my next tank will be an Oceanic. :D

------------------
It's always something!

DENNIS
05/08/2000, 09:42 PM
anyone know if Oceanic has a web site and if there is such a thing as a 180RR.
My fiance doesn't know it yet but she's getting me one as a wedding gift.

CleveYank
05/08/2000, 10:06 PM
all glass tanks are junk period.

horge
05/08/2000, 10:07 PM
badgers, I'm summoning all my special powers to keep your 110 XH together ;)

Martyn
05/08/2000, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CleveYank:
all glass tanks are junk period.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rubbish i really don't think you know what you are talking about.
what knowledge do you have of all tanks that are glass tanks. :mad:
Martyn

Opps if you are talking about the company I take that back as I don't know them but if you are talking about all tanks that are made of glass then I don't.

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited 05-08-2000).]

badgers
05/09/2000, 07:10 AM
thank you horge :)
I live in WI and the AGA tanks are made in WI so my tank must be in good shape since it only traveled 40 min. Ya know if you say that over and over you start to believe it :D
I could not ever handle having my tank leak.
Heinrich I don't understand where to put the glass braces you are talking about. my tank has a center brace that is about 2&1/2" wide. This brace is plastic. I have about 22"+/- open area. I mean from the end of the frame to the center brace is 22".
Would I put the glass braces in at 11" from each side? I think that may make it hard to get live rock in and out.
AGA better be nice about replacing a broken tank! I would hate them if my tank broke, I don't think that they could afford my bill. I charge my time at $50 bucks an hour and I have put in at least 100,000 hours in :)
Heater_Engineer I got up last night and checked my tank.(had to go to the bathroom and figured while I was up :D)
I don't understand why making a tank not leak is such a monumental task. Wouldn't it be cheaper for a company to spend a little more on thicker glass then have to pay cleaning bills and make a whole new second tank?
things will be different when I am king

------------------

dresch
05/09/2000, 08:28 PM
DENNIS, yes and yes. Oceanic's web address is http://www.oceanicsystems.com/
and they do have a 180RR.

Congrats on the upcomming wedding. My wife didn't buy me a new tank, but she did let me set up my old 50 as a reef and use money from the wedding for equipment and corals. Also, after our visit to the aquarium in Hawaii, she insisted that we get a chiller.

------------------
David D.
http://members.aol.com/drdresch/aquarium

Heinrich
05/09/2000, 10:11 PM
Hah, hah for all of you who got a AGA. Sorry couldn't help it but I just got my custom "real" 180g tank. What a beauty. Heavy as hell, but incredibly nice, and especially the glass is so clear... AAh almost like an acrylic tank....
If you eant to keep your tank long term I would buy an Oceanic. Wow I was wxpecting much but I was positively supprised. Doesn't happen often. Especially the drilling and little extras I wanted. Definately worth the extra money if you want quality. You get what you pay for. Now moving this baby up a flight of stairs will be a b;tch.
Badgers. You run a glass frame. You have a piece of glass just under the plastic rim on top of your tank. You have a piece running along the front and back pane inside the tank and siliconed to the sides. Then a piece on the inside on the left and right, siliconed under and onto the back and front frame support. Think of picture frames just on the inside.
Another option is simply siliconing a center brace under the middle plastic brace and one on each side. Make sure to put something ontop of the black plastic on the AGA. The plastic is not UV resistant and over time will break down because of expossure to UV radiation. Just possibly expanding a little. :) Can you say crack....
AGA are fine tanks if your going for FOWLR, just not too bright lights and high temps. Also I don't think they calculated heavy reefstructures standing on several points on the glass into some designs. Still most AGA are a standard and very very few will usually fail. Just a slightly higher chance of failing. We're talking far less than 1%. So you can all sleep comfortably, well more or less. Hargh Har, a the piece of mind money can buy. Well maybe I will only eat once a day for a few months and not go to the doctor for a few years and voila. What you won't do for your lifestock.
93! Heinrich

Agu
05/09/2000, 10:31 PM
Heinrich, To move my 180 on stairs I built a ramp and covered it with carpet. Moving it was a breeze, but mine went down the stairs. BTW, I've never had a tank leak. Sumps on the other hand are a problem when you use cheap plastic tubs.

Martyn
05/09/2000, 10:34 PM
well I have 20 glass tanks now and no problems.
should soon be getting pics up on this board of all of them if larry will do it.
Martyn