PDA

View Full Version : Started building my new Nano!

Totlxtc
08/19/2001, 04:08 PM
Well i thought i'd give this a try, a metal framed nano tank. Its 12"x12"x12" and will have a 12"x4" built-in sump in the back. That way all i see is 1 return line, rocks and corals. I plan on a topoff system mounted above the tank in the hood. The metal will be primed and painted. Then i will have a glass or acrylic bottom and sides cut to fit inside. Not sure which but i do hate acrylic (easier to work with though). Seal all edges with chalk and fill with water.

I'm not sure on my lighting yet but will most likely be PC's. They seem easier to deal with and probably only thing that will fit in a 12"x12" hood. I'll have to checkout sizes and then go from there.

Other equipment will be a Maxijet 400 (106gph) as the only circulation. What do you think? Should i go with the MJ600 (160gph) or will that be too much flow? Also will have a Tronic 50watt heater (7" long) to fit in the sump portion.

Plan on using a 3" SD sandbed seeded from my other tank. Probably 5 to 10 pounds of liverock. No fish but maybe a shrimp of some sort. Thought of a coral banded shrimp, but think it might get too big. Also some softies to finish it off. Nothing too fancy or intense.

This tank is basically a model for a larger tank i want to build. It will have a thicker steel framing(welded) and glass sides with no built-in sump, just overflows. So what do you think of this little Nano? All comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks!

http://www.webphotos.com/member/13010/272105.jpg

Lunchbucket
08/19/2001, 05:24 PM
looks nice man...i like that chrome framed look. it would be cool to mount in a wall like a chrome framed picture....but it is a tiny reef. that would look HOT!

i am starting my 1st nano too. downgrading from a 55 gal :( i hope to have good luck too!!

later
Lunchbucket

Troutman
08/19/2001, 08:08 PM
You might want to check into using a metal framed tank for saltwater. I thought I read somewhere that metal framed tanks weren't suitable. Just a thought. Don't want anything bad to happen to your critters.

Totlxtc
08/19/2001, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up, but the metal is only the outside framing which will be painted incase of spills. The only part the water in the tank will be touching is the acrylic or glass. If you remember back in the old days, :D They use to build the tanks with steel angle iron and slate/cement bottoms with glass panels. This is what i'm replicating, but better. I should be getting the panels done tomorrow and will post so you get a better idea of what i mean. Thanks for checking it out guys!

Totlxtc
08/22/2001, 06:40 PM
I got the glass panes cut and siliconed in place. It holds water!!! :) Next i have to cut the divider wall and partition walls. I'm slowly getting there.