PDA

View Full Version : how does this bta look to you?

chewie
08/17/2001, 11:48 AM
I've had him 1 month and he' has tripled in size!!!! look here for pic http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=33110

chewie
08/17/2001, 12:23 PM
:rolleyes:

Guy
08/17/2001, 12:49 PM
I don't get it... :confused:

chewie
08/17/2001, 01:17 PM
another reefer looked at my pic and said my bta might be bleached. Have you seen any that look like that(translucent) does it look healthy?

Guy
08/17/2001, 01:36 PM
Ahhh OK, I had to scroll to the bottom.

The BTA pictured appears to be completely bleached. I would suggest feeding it as much as it will eat and seeking the advice of the anemone expertes here.

chewie
08/17/2001, 01:38 PM
thanx guy!!!

chewie
08/17/2001, 04:32 PM
:rolleyes:

Dragonlady
08/20/2001, 10:39 AM
Yes, your BTA does appear to be bleached. What type of lighting are you using? You could need to add more lighting, or you could have it under too much lighting. You need aat leat 3 watts of lighting per gallon. Try to feed it small pieces of shrimp or silversides 1-3 times a week, and see if that helps. Place the food gently near its mouth on its tentacles. Never forcefeed an anemone. If it won't eat, try again in about 5 days. If it won't eat within a few months, it may be beyond help because it may have already lost its mucous coating that contains its nematocysts. Feeding is very important aspect for keeping anemones healthy. Your anemone appears transparent becase it may have been living off its own body tissue. Feeding it and apprapriate lighting could help it regain its zooanthellae. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pinkskunk
08/20/2001, 01:26 PM
Well, what do you know. I have a pink base BTA that look translusent just like your. I had him for one year now. He split once. I sold the clone and it died in a guy's powerhead. I still have mine and it still look translusent. Can a bleached anemone live for one year? I will leave it for the expert.

chewie
08/20/2001, 02:11 PM
yeah it was the same color when I bought it, It seems that it is starting to fill in colorwise. it is in a 29g tank with 400w MH but gets no direct liting he's tucked under a ledge and is in the shade all day.

Dragonlady
08/20/2001, 09:02 PM
There are cream colored slightly transparent anemones in nature, but not the completely transparent chalky white ones that you sometimes see in stores. Most anemones are not completely opaque, but they are not like glass either. The idea is to get them to thrive , not just survive. Pink base bta are very attractive, and I have seen the color morph that you are talking about pink skunk. The pink base bta that I saw had sllightly transparent white tentacles with tinges of bright green, but I know that there are many different color varieties of the pink base bta. By the way, I have been studying and researching anemones for 7 years and currenlty keep 2 Heteractis anemones. Believe what you have found to be true and reasonable.