PDA

View Full Version : Is my sebae anemone in trouble?

toddgack
08/17/2001, 10:38 AM
I recently purchased a sebae anemone, about 3 weeks ago. It's doing absolutly great, except for one small problem. I placed it on the substrate, away from the reef portion of the tank (a small attempt to justify the fact that anemones don't live on reefs). It's moved to the front of the tank, under the light and directly across from a powerhead (about 8 inches between him and the powerhead). He's moved completely up against the glass, but isn't climbing it. He's completely expanded, and is doing great with his pair of percs. I had been watching him at the LFS for about a month, and he was doing good, but never seemed to completely expand. Now that he's in my tank, he's turned into a competely different animal, and all signs would indicate he couldn't be happier.

Here's the problem, some of his tentacles have become wedged between him and the glass, and are turning a nasty brown color. I've tried to move then out, but everyday when he opens back up when the lights turn on, they are back wedged between him and the glass, getting no light or water movement.

Will these tentacles be okay? Or will the rot away? If they rot away, will it affect the rest of the anemone (who like I said early is doing great other than this problem)?
I'd rather not move him, as he's buried his base, at least 2 inches into the substrate. This is the spot he picked, and since moving there the day after adding him to the tank, he hasn't shown any desire to move.

TIA,

tg

Guy
08/17/2001, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. :) If it was uncomfortable it would move.

Dragonlady
08/20/2001, 10:47 AM
Generally, when a white sebae anemones turn a darker color, it is a good sign. It is regaining its zooanthellae that will give it many nutritional benefits. Anemones have a symbiotic relationship with zoanthellae. Many sebae anemones expel their zoantellae during shipment, and your sebae is probably just regaining its natural colration. Without its zoanthellae, it would only probably survive for around 6 months. Good job on providing it with better lighting than they had under in holding conditions at the store.

toddgack
08/20/2001, 05:08 PM
Thanks, I'm really trying my best to keep this guy alive. When I purchased him, he had been in the store for about a month, and was a light beige in color. In the month or so that I've had him, he's gotten a little darker everyday. What color should he be? It's obvious that he's regaining his zooxanthelle, but since he was never completely heathly, I'm not sure what to be looking for. He's definetly darker than any pic I've seen of a captive sebae.

tg

Agu
08/22/2001, 01:54 PM
I'd agree that you should leave the sebae where it has settled. It's fully capable of moving if it's uncomfortable.

You mentioned a powerhead :eek1: , if you haven't yet, completely cover all powerhead intakes with a sponge filter. Anemones seem to have a death wish when it comes to powerheads, and even a settled in anemone can become pureed suddenly.

My sebae started out tan with pink tips a year ago. It's now medium brown with purple tips. Dwayne has had his sebae longer and his is a dark brown fwiw. You can see pics here,

http://www.usinternet.com/users/dsapp/

hth,
Agu

toddgack
08/22/2001, 02:53 PM
Thanks for pointing me to those pics. My sebae was never as white as Dwayne's, from the sounds of it, more like yours (thankfully).

And, no need to worry about the powerhead. If (and that's a strong if) he could GET to the powerhead, it came with a preattached screen over the intake.

Thanks again,

tg

Agu
08/22/2001, 03:58 PM
tg,

You're welcome :) .

Regarding anemones, it's not an "if"it can get there !! An unhappy anemone can completely release and float in the current, and a plastic screen alone won't protect it. It only takes one tentacle to get sucked into the screen, and the whole anemone will be jammed up to the intake. Even if it doesn't get sucked in, the pressure can do a lot of damage. I speak from experience on this one, had a condylactus for two years and one day it went wandering and :blown: . My current anemone tank has no powerheads just because of this risk !!

jmo,
Agu