PDA

View Full Version : molting question

Fcamdog
08/16/2001, 03:38 PM
I have read that mantis molt monthly. Is that true? I haven't seen the philippine mantis is my 40g in about 3 weeks now and am starting to wonder if some crab exacted some revenge after he had molted and was vulnerable. Not seeing him doesn't really bother me, but the fact that I haven't seen a fresh crab shell in the same amount of time is what really makes me think he has gone to mantis heaven, or maybe hell for all I know.
On another note, I saw a rather large philippine in my 30g, that I house mantis in, that I haven't seen before. I had blamed a ciliated mantis for 3 disapearances in the tank and am now retracting one of my murder charges. This guy is very impressive at about their max size, 4", and color that is unbelievable.
With this news all I am left to ponder is if I should go catch a new mantis for my 40g. I saw a few 4-6" mantis that I never was able to catch at one beach and want to get one to identify it and possibly keep. Hmmm...

moviegeek
08/16/2001, 06:08 PM
Molting varies depending on species age, size, health, etc. etc. but all mantis molt semi-regularly. I notice that my O. scyllarus molt every four to six weeks, with some variation in that time frame.

I'm not surprised that your mantis are disappearing. Have you considered setting up several tanks connected to the same sump?

ISFRAEL
08/16/2001, 10:05 PM
dr roy caldwell told me in one of my emails that a mantis will try and get another mantis while its vunerable with its molting.

i would definetly get seperate tanks like moviegeek suggested because they might show more personnality ( and maybe live longer?) if they arent constantly under threat of getting crunched by a molting tank mate:(

Fcamdog
08/16/2001, 10:19 PM
The 30g is just a holding tank for me. What I may do is empty the tank and silicone two dividers into the tank, making it 3 seperate holding areas. Being that the shrimp are so close and easy for me to get, a couple of casualties are par for the course. As far as I can tell I have only lost 2 shrimp, for the number I have had that is very good in my opinion. Having the one cilicated and one philippine seems to be working just fine, maybe because they are different kinds. With the rock set-up in the tank, the abundant amount of crabs and regular feedings of cut fish I feel I have cut down the rate of cannibalism to a very small number of incidents.
I'm still pondering if I should get a new mantis for my 40g? I'll wait for a couple of more weeks and see if I can't catch a glimpse, or sign, of the green monster lurking about.

Fcamdog
08/17/2001, 04:33 PM
After thinking about it I tore down the 30g and returned everything back to the ocean today so I can add two dividers, making three seperate holding areas. I was happily surprised to find another philippine, which dropped my death total to one, that was good to find out. For such a small amount of work I'd rather not have any more needless casualties. That's that for now.
I still haven't seen any sign of my philippine in the 40g. I'll give it 2 weeks from today and then I'll go catch a new shrimp for that tank.

moviegeek
08/17/2001, 05:35 PM
Fcamdog --

I'm sure future inhabitants will appreciate your efforts!

Get us some pictures when you finish setting up your tanks. I'll post them on my site if you like.