PDA

View Full Version : Dictyota Algae

tony
08/16/2001, 02:03 PM
How do you get rid of them? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Tony

Brad Ward
08/20/2001, 11:49 AM
Hi Tony,

Is it causing a problem?

tony
08/21/2001, 09:03 AM
Hi Brad
Not really. I've been pulling it out manually but would like to get rid of it completely. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Brad Ward
08/21/2001, 09:27 AM
As a survivor of most of the plague stuff one can experience, I can tell you that what you are doing is the best method of eradication. Whenever we have a overabundance of one particular species of plant or animal, the reason is that we are providing the ideal set of conditions for it, or, it is outcompeting other same type species. The latter can be caused by having a new tank with little biodiversity, or, having no predators to keep it in check. You are the predator in this case, and the more you remove, the more of the nutrients that fuel the growth will be removed until hopefully it will subside to normal coverage, or seemingly disappear all together. That said, other species will fill the void when the correct conditions appear through the closed systems life.

So, my point after all the rambling above is...over the lifetime of your system, because it is a small amount of water, you will experience the gamet of algas, worms, and anemonia. These are to be expected, and taken care of by manipulating the system. Your success will depend on constantly changing the enviornment to deal with them. In this case, manual labor:D

hth,

Brad

tony
08/21/2001, 09:32 AM
Thanks Brad