PDA

View Full Version : Topics for Speakers

dfrizz1
03/06/2004, 03:56 PM
What topics are you interested in for speakers to talk about? I think it would cool if someone spoke on construction of large tanks and different DIY projects for fish-only and reef aquariums!

Anyone else have any ideas?

sw-addict
03/08/2004, 04:21 AM
I would like to learn more about deep sand beds and bare bottom benifits/downfalls the future of reef tanks with the reefs in decline propagation/prices. And why have you been a member scince sept. 03 and just now posted your first thing and why here?

koikeeper
03/08/2004, 07:30 PM
Because he is an active member of the OMS (and a rather nice guy!) :p

koikeeper
03/08/2004, 07:34 PM
oh, and I would like to learn more about DIY as well. A very serious topic is the clubs website (c'mon not updated since october! :( )

I'd also like to see more info for common tank setups (compatibility Q AND A session) which would be specific in mixes of corals/inverts/fish that work well with different tank sizes, etc.

Also be nice to have a DIY on lighting, and building the supporting canopies and fans, etc. Myself, it would be nice to learn a little more about wiring that stuff up without frying an expensive bulb!

But hey just imo :)

Koi

smcwhirt
03/08/2004, 10:43 PM
How about a coral fragging discussion? People could offer some corals to be fragged and then it could turn into a frag swap.

dfrizz1
03/09/2004, 01:32 PM
I think its one of those deals where you sign up, then get sidetracked and forget about it. I'm usually pretty busy, so I try to get on when I can. As for why I posted at the OMS board...we have to keep the OMS alive! This is the only fish club we have in town so I figure it's better support this club rather than none.
Suprisingly most fish people I run into have never heard of the OMS.

sschuler
03/09/2004, 03:12 PM
I would definately like to see us setup a frag swap. The LFS's in Omaha have such a crappy selection and are gererally expensive. This is especially important to help conserve the natural reefs. Most LFS's are not carrying aquacultured corals. They are overcharging us while depleting natural reefs.

MICHEAL1
03/09/2004, 07:40 PM
Ok heres what I have lined up so far for the year. In April there is going to be a frag swap meet, so make up your wants lists and email them to me. Also make up a list of what you have to trade. If your just starting and have nothing to trade you will be able to buy frags. In May there will be a grillout at my house/informal tank tour. Everyone can come and eat some good food and get to know one another better. I'm trying to get smeone to come in June but no takers as of yet. I'm hopeful on Eric Borneman In August or September have to get it nailed down with him still. In October the King of coral propagation Anthony Calfo with come on the 23. I would like to talk to the group about what DIY projects they would be interested in doing as a group/also about group buys for corals from wholesalers. The website is being redone right now I will have an update at the meeting on Saturday. I would also like to talk about a fund raiser for the club to bring in some of the more expensive speakers, if anybody has any ideas on that topic please email or call me at (402)331-8836. If anybody has any ideas at all please call me I know I can't think of everything and would love the help.

See all of you Saturday

Mike

sw-addict
03/10/2004, 10:08 AM
I know that I don't live in omaha but I am up atleast once a week because other then the fish store we have nothing at all. Hey mike I checked out your photo gallery 300g thats very nice!

koikeeper
03/10/2004, 07:41 PM
I know I for one appreciate the website being updated.

I am kinda surprised by the lack of support the club currently seems to have. You have a wonderful base to work on and just since I have been here on ReefCentral I have informed 4 other Nebraskans here about the reef club they did not even know existed in Omaha.

You can't do it all Michael, and neither could Mitch. The club members have become more active themsleves to support the hobby they love. Just showing up for the speakers does not count.

The club is like a boat floating around with no anchor. The members need to anchor it down.

We need to brainstorm on ways to increase the awreness of The Omaha Marine Society.

Fundraisers is another definate concern. I'll contact some of my friends over in the Rocky Mountain Reefers society and see what they do over there. I can also contact some of the ACA and ALA clubs as I am a member of both (freshwater stuff for you wondering individuals).

If you are taking requests on the main web page as far as what we would like to see added I know right off the bat there was not much info about how to join.

The club can also use a welcoming group. This should be a group of members who are willing to sit down and take the time and effort to help a complete newbie in the hobby. One of the main concerns of the club should be educating new reefers. :)

Koi

koikeeper
03/10/2004, 08:03 PM
The Omaha Marine Society Mission Statement
The mission of the Omaha Marine Society is to provide a resource and focus for hobbyists in Eastern Nebraska who have interests in captive marine systems. We will increase public awareness of the importance and value of living coral reef ecosystems. By increasing the hobbyist's level of understanding and depth of knowledge, we will help hobbyists become more successful in maintaining captive marine systems.

koikeeper
03/10/2004, 10:08 PM
Click on my gallery button above. I added an Omaha Marine Society Gallery to help promote awareness of the club. I will add additional pics as I get time. I've got a ton...

Koi Keeper

dfrizz1
03/11/2004, 12:01 AM
I'm glad the website is finally getting updated. I think our website is one of our bigger selling tools for promoting our club. New members are always afraid to make that step and joining a new club. The website can be our way of letting people get over that hurdle and actually join. As a speaker standput, the better the website is done and looking organized the more likely they will consider speaking for us. First impressions mean everything. According to the "member tanks" on our website it seems that we have only one member in our club.

We need to have some sort of contact for new and current members listed on the site. We can't put our tank pics on the site if we have no clue where to send it.

Of course websites can take time to build, so until then we can rely on word of mouth from our fellow members.

dfrizz1
03/11/2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by koikeeper
We need to brainstorm on ways to increase the awreness of The Omaha Marine Society.
Koi

Our biggest fallback to awareness is our own pet stores. They all have the flyers up but never mention it. When you do mention it most of the them don't know anything about it. "Just read the flyer" they say. Even though many of you have termed our stores as "crappy" we have to keep them informed. Theres only so much you can do to help these stores. Until then we hope that future stores in Omaha focus on supporting our hobby and club.

koikeeper
03/11/2004, 08:16 AM
Don't you just hate spelling errors in big bold quote? *sigh*

I will agree 100% When I moved to Omaha this past October I called every single fish store in town trying to get ahold of The American Cichlid Association's local chapter. To my great shock no one knew anything about any local fish clubs.

Only two stores knew of one club (The Omaha Marine Society). That was Bellevue Pets (Scott) and Reef Techtonics (Mike). If not for them I would still be sitting in Omaha lamenting the fact that for such a large city we seriously lack in the fish department. Not lack as in poor quality, but in participation. Not many people seem to know that even the OMA is here. Where are those flyers? I have been to almost every fish store in town and actually have yet to even see a flyer. Maybe we need to be spending time creating a more striking, professional flyer. It should not only be posted at the lfs's but also at the bullitin boards at the local petsmarts and petcos. Not because we believe in those stores, but because the kind of aquarists who visit those stores need our help the most.

If we need to create another flyer I am actually pretty talented in that area, just let me know. I have adobe photoshop (600 dollars worth of imaging software), and would be glad to help. I would even take a field trip to the chain stores and post them up.

Now if our stores are having problems getting corals in, then calling them crappy is not the answer. Give them our help. I have a good friend down in Flroida that propogates his own sps corals commercially. Now if our stores just need help finding suppliers we can do that too. I just recently let one local store know about www.aquabid.com as an excellent source for oddball fish. We can't expect them to know everything!

Koi

sschuler
03/11/2004, 09:32 AM
Koi and Frizz, I definately believe what we need is awareness and not criticism, but I should not have to tell LFS owners that they should not be selling bleached anomones and corals. Of course I am not referring to Mike ;-)

Back to the topic at hand, I would be willing to do anything I can to help promote. If you need someone to help with the website or get flyers out, I will do it. My wife and I have purchased family passes to Doorly every year for 3 or 4 years and I didn't know about OMS until a neighbor told me.

MICHEAL1
03/11/2004, 02:03 PM
I hope to see all of you at the meeting on sat. I would love to discuss all of the issuse and ideas with you guys. My right hand man will be there on sat. as well. I will bring a note pad to record every thing that is brought up. Again if you guys have ideas or want to talk to me just give me a call 331-8836. Some days I an not able to get on reefcentral as much as i'd like.

later

mike