PDA

View Full Version : LFS in Memphis

Kayo
03/06/2004, 11:25 AM
Tennessee Reefers,

Anyone know of any good shops in the Memphis area? I will be visiting next weekend and enjoy looking at other area's LFS's.

Thanks

gflat65
03/06/2004, 11:41 AM
Yes there are two that I used to frequent when I lived in Oxford, Ms. Kermits Reef (which I haven't visited in over two years) used to be the premium store. It was the only exclusively salt water store in the Mid South area at the time. (Now there is one of all places in Munford Tn, (my home town) just north of Mempho. Kermits used to have a huge seclection of fish and inverst and rock and.... They are loocated just off of Germantown pike several miles up from the Wolfchase mall near East Memphis. The other store is named Somthing Fishey. The owner (Ken) can be opinionated (but what owners have you ever found that weren't), but he always had a good selection of marine life. His prices could be higher than Kermits because of volume, but his is a good one ot check out. He is located just off of Whitten Road (just off of I-40 going into Memphis). PM me if you want better directions. The little store front in Munford (if you happen to travel north of Memphis and Millington) is relatively small, but he was exclusively salt water, too. I've only visited him once (when I went to visit my fam for Christmas), but the guy definietley had the passion, and the livestock was gretly varied considering he is near the boonies. I was shocked to see many sps's that far out from civilization. His store is just off of Highway 51, about 20 miles of Mempho. Hope some of this helps. If you make it to any of my old haunts, let me know how they are in this day and age. Kermits helped form my current addiction, but the last time I was there, they had cleared the nine colar displays in the reef room, but there were plans to get it going again. That room was impressive because they were able to have at least one tank with exery lighting combo except pc/vho. Of course, like evey other place I've been, they love their pc's.

thedogofwar
03/06/2004, 06:36 PM
I hear kermits is still a great place. Never been but I hope to soon.

Kayo
03/16/2004, 09:19 PM
My trip to Memphis was great but I couldn't find Kermits. Our whole weekend was planned out so I had to squeeze in my trip to Kermits. Turned out at 4:30 on Saturday I was free. I called Kermits 3 times, only to get a recorded message. I had hoped they could give me directions from the river. The message did say they were open until 6:00pm

I went out on my own with a small map out of a brochure. I found Macon and proceded down it. The street stopped, changed names, made turns. Before I knew it, it was about 10 to 6:00 and I still was at a loss for where Kermit's was so I gave up and headed back to the hotel.

I was looking forward to the lighting display and most likely would have made a purchase. Instead I purchased the new lighting system today ( two Metal Halide 250w hoods, with ballast and bulbs) from my LFS.

ndfootball5489
03/26/2004, 08:04 PM
I am an employee at Kermit's Reef i am sorry about that, but on sunday we close at 4 but i like to hear all of yall's comments about our shop but the bad thing about something fishy is that they don't quratine their fish and their fish are very susceptible to disease and death. They will let you buy a sick fish. Also their prices are way higher than ours. Just thought i would let yall know that

gflat65
03/26/2004, 08:11 PM
Have you guys gotten your coral room going again? It has been about two years since I was in there and all the tanks were empty. Bad sight. I'm going to come in and see you guys when I make it back to Mphis.

jmt
03/28/2004, 10:55 PM
I reccomend AGASINT Something Fishy in Memphis. I have had some awful run-ins with that guy and his stock is rediculously price. At Kermit's, you can find a variety of stuff, but the only thing fairly priced IMO is the fish (and then it varies by fish). The prices on coral, anemones, and live rock are high (not as high as Something Fishy). I enjoy that staff at Kermit's with the EXCEPTION of the older lady with the curly/frizzy hair that works the counter. Everyoen there is always willing to help. That woman, on the otherhand, is just a _______ . If you don;t mind paying a little extra for somethings to get good service, then hit up Kermit's Reef for sure. It's off Germantown Parkway on Macon road in Old Cordova (1 mile from GTOWN PKWY).

-Justin

PS- Come on Kermit's, $7.95 for Marshall? Why do you do this to me!?

ndfootball5489
04/04/2004, 09:56 PM
No, i am sorry to say that the reef room that you are talking about has been turned into a freshwater fish room. The reason why we did that, is because a local fresh water fish store went out of business so we took up the fresh water fish for the fresh water customers. In regard to the 7.95 marshall rock it has everything to do with our supplier and what he is charging us. I don't know what he charges but i know that is the reason.

jmt
04/05/2004, 04:25 PM
Just giving ya a hard time. Sorry for all the spelling errors, I was in a hurry.

-Justin

gflat65
04/05/2004, 05:53 PM
FRESHWATER?!? bleck, I'll take the crab juice. (sorry for the Simpsons reference- Mt. Dew, crab juice). Kermits used to be the ONLY exclusively saltwater store in the Mid South. I guess you gotta do what times require. I'm sure it is impressive nonetheless. I plan on being in town the 16-19. I'll have to swing in there.
gflat