PDA

View Full Version : Clarkii pairing question

steph30
08/16/2001, 10:32 AM
I've had 2 small clarkii's in a 30 gallon for several months now and they have gotten along fine. About a month ago I bought a huge (over 10 inches) Bubble tip anenome on a fairly decent sized piece of live rock. It wasn't until I got home that I realized there was another BTA (much smaller...2 or 3 inches at best) on the same rock.

The BTA's are both doing fine after a month. The problem is with the Clarkiis. Ever since getting the BTA's the Clarkiis fight. It's obvious one has turned female as she owns the big BTA and refuses to let the smaller Clarkii anywhere near it. I've seen the smaller one do the shimmy at her and I assumed that eventually she'd realize he'd accepted her as the dominant one, but as of yet this hasn't happened. How long is it supposed to take for them to get this worked out? Or do I need to remove the smaller one? He doesn't have any torn fins. He's become very good at hiding from her. I've seen him run from her and when she turns to leave he'll follow her and do the shimmy. Everything on the boards I've read seems to be around a couple of days and the clowns have paired up. This is going on a month.

At night, the female sleeps in the big BTA. The smaller BTA is on the backside of that same rock and I noticed last night that the smaller clarkii is sleeping in the small BTA. I was hoping that eventually they'd pair up, but I have no idea what they're doing now.

Stephanie

becka
08/16/2001, 03:35 PM
hmm separate beds already? seems to me the marriage is doomed. ;) just kidding. I have no logical and valid answer for you, but hopefully got a chuckle! :D

steph30
08/16/2001, 04:22 PM
ROFL :D I wish I'd thought of it.

Stephanie

BLUESMAN
08/16/2001, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about your clarkiis fighting.It is perfectly normal for them...especially since you introduced a host for them.Mine took 3 monthes to allow the male to bed with her.They are my favorite clowns!( I have cinnamons,saddlebacks,perculas and marrons).See ya

steph30
08/16/2001, 07:09 PM
Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel better to know this is normal. I have to admit, it's pretty entertaining watching them. :)

Stephanie

mr9iron
08/16/2001, 10:37 PM
Whats the typical lifes span of the clarkiis in captivity?

steph30
09/01/2001, 12:41 AM
Just thought I'd give an update on my clarkii's. The female has grown considerably considering it's only been 2 weeks since my original post. The male is pretty much the same size. Although she still harasses the male, it's nothing like it was. I woke up a few minutes ago (I guess waking in the middle of the night and checking your tank is a sure sign of being addicted :) ) and they are sharing the anemone! I couldn't believe it. I'm not sure if she knows he's there, as he's all the way on the other side of it, but they're both in there nonetheless. I'm thrilled to say the least.

Stephanie