PDA

View Full Version : anyone from the Denton area?

freelancing
08/16/2001, 09:21 AM
I just found out about this group a few weeks ago and just attended my first meeting last night.

I was nearly an hour late, so I didn't get to really meet anyone and I was wondering if anyone else in DFWMAS was from the Denton area (Denton, Sanger, Argyle, Corinth, Krum, whatever)? ... it would be nice to be able to carpool to some of the meetings, maybe alternating who drives to help cut down on gas... plus it would be great to know there was someone in the area w/ knowledge to share... and maybe to pool together on bulk mail-order items such as live rock, sand, etc.

After seeing the large group of folks that were at this meeting, I know that it would be impossible for me to ever host a meeting... my house just won't accommodate that many people... not to mention my dogs would drive everyone crazy.

http://freelancing.com/digitcam/images/dottiegrinchair.jpg

http://freelancing.com/digitcam/images/digitsmartlookleft.jpg

I bought my tank used in March (my introduction to the hobby)... the woman I bought it from had it for 7 years and she bought it used. It's a DAS tank, but apparently an older model and I know nothing about how it works or how it's supposed to work. I've e-mailed DAS twice, but they've never responded... after about 4 months of waiting on a reply, I gave up. If there are any folks in the area who know anything about these systems and could look at what I've got and show me how to maintain it... I'll treat you to dinner or buy you a fish or something.:)

I had some hot and cold pipes put in my garage so that I could build a dark room... after nearly 3 years in this house, I still have done nothing in that arena... but I'd like to take advantage of the opportunity to hook up a sink w/ an RO/DI unit (of which I am totally ignorant) to save on water changes... I'd love to have some help w/ this and I do much better w/ the "pointing and grunting" method than just getting a description on how to do something. :D

Getting into this hobby has been baptism by fire. Since the aquarium already had live rock, 3 fish and was full of water when I bought it, I didn't have the opportunity to have an empty tank first where I could study up on the hobby thoroughly and work from the ground-up. I've had a number of fatalities (especially the first 3 months), but things seem to be going steady now... but I'm still very ignorant on nearly everything.

I'm looking forward to attending future meetings and absorbing the knowledge from other members.