PDA

View Full Version : How to feed?

adriana
08/15/2001, 02:39 PM
I have a 90 gal tank that I plan on turning into a reef tank. I filled my tank almost 3 weeks ago. The thing is that I did not have any live rocks or sand in the tank because all my rocks are in the curing process, so I am not sure if there is any bacteria growing. Anyway, I decided to add a fish to my tank to help with the cycle. Since I live across the street from the beach, I got the fish myself. I was trying to get a damself fish, but I ended up getting a threadfin butterflyfish (species:Chaetodon auriga). I am not sure if this fish will handle an uncycled tank, what do you think???
I have a piece of dead coral inside the tank so the fish can hide itself.
Also, I am not sure what I should feed it. One of my books says, feed it invertabrates.
What should I do? What kind of food do you recommend?Where can I get it?.
I put the fish in my tank yesterday, so I have to feed it soon......Please tell me what you think so I don't starve the poor guy.
thank you so muchhhh
Adriana:confused: :confused:

hcs3
08/15/2001, 03:27 PM
What should I do?

butterflies are considered the most delicate of fish in the hobby. many experts agree a butterfly should not make it into a home aquarium that is younger than 1 year old - for good reason. your threadfin, luckily, is considered one of the more hardier butterflies.

if the fish wasn't already placed in the home aquarium, i'd recommend you return it to the ocean promptly. however, returning it now would be unethical and irresponsible. almost as much so as the illegal harvest itself.

using a fish - any fish - to help cycle a tank is not only pointless, it is cruel. cycling a tank is as easy as adding a small portion of aquarium food to the tank.

your butterfly feeds on fan worms (which are inverts, BTW) of which none will be present in a newly set up tank. instead, try to get it eating mysis shrimp and a variety of the frozen preperations.

it is doubtful that this butterfly will make it through the cycle. in an effort to help it, check the ammonia and nitrite levels regularly. most LFS sell products that help eleminate temporary ammonia or nitrite build up. this should help.

HTH

henry

adriana
08/15/2001, 03:41 PM
Hi hcs3

I guess I made a big mistake......:(
Well, thank you for the reply.
Adriana