PDA

View Full Version : Tiny float valve

DeadFish
08/14/2001, 04:24 PM
does any one no of or have an idea on how to make a tiny float valve that would serve as an auto top off for my 7 gal. bow front?
all I can find is the Kent float valve and of course it's way too big.:eek1:

nitritetest
08/14/2001, 10:03 PM
For a tank that small, you would probably be fine with a gravity fed/siphon top off bottle, instead of a float valve.

DeadFish
08/15/2001, 10:06 AM
Yea, I was thinking about that one too, I just have to find a jug with a rubber stopper, I just thought it would be neat to have a tiny float valve, there's a float valve design that I've seen that is used for metal stock tanks, if it was smaller and totally made of plastic it would be perfect, you could just mount it to the back of the tank.
here's a link.

http://www.flemingfarmsupply.com/Auto%20Float%20Valve.htm

and here's a link to a gravity fed/siphon top off system if anyone is interested:

http://mailer.fsu.edu/%7Elleclair/watertop.htm

are there anymore Idea's?

oh by the way, I'm so glad that this sight has a Mini reef section, I've been in the background reading all the post's and you guy's have helped me out a lot, I have a 58 gal. that I've had for a while and it's running o.k., but I'm having so much more fun with my new mini reef, thanks everyone for all your help.
:D

bigchili
08/15/2001, 10:54 AM
I don't use a "top off system" but in a pinch - when i had to go away for the weekend - I have cut the bottom out of a coke bottle, screwed the cap on real tight and poked a hole in the cap. Turn the bottle upside down with your top-off water in it. Place the cap right on the water's edge. Anytimethe water goes below the cap water will come out until it is back to the cap.

I know this is crude - but it worked wonderfully. You could even get fancy with it and use a piece of PVC capped on the bottom and a tube coming from the side and have the end of the tube at the water's edge. This would be great for dosing Kalk- you could have the tube about 2 inches from the bottom of the tube so you would not be getting the stuff off the botom...

Gravity - it's a wonderful thing.

just my $0.02 worth...

Lunchbucket
08/16/2001, 04:57 PM
so how hard is it to adjust a doser for your top off? i really don't wanna flood the tank

later
Lunchbucket

nitritetest
08/16/2001, 05:40 PM
You won't flood the room with a gravity fed top-off unless it leaks. If it's airtight, then nothing can leave the container unless air has a way of getting in to fill the void. It's a pretty foolproof concept, provided your container is airtignt...

Lunchbucket
08/16/2001, 06:02 PM
maybe i will make a box out of acrylic and use 2 mini airlines for the dose and air in lines.

make it like a nurce. the one is set at the water level and when water drops air goes in and lets liquid down the dose tube which is lower in the tank is that right?

i need a doser so pics, suggestions, sites would be great

later
Lunchbucket

DeadFish
08/20/2001, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
maybe i will make a box out of acrylic and use 2 mini airlines for the dose and air in lines.

make it like a nurce. the one is set at the water level and when water drops air goes in and lets liquid down the dose tube which is lower in the tank is that right?

i need a doser so pics, suggestions, sites would be great

later
Lunchbucket

I was also thinking about making something similar to a Nurce, but I don't know where to find a resalable lid that would work, I guess I could make one, but how?
every thing else seems simple enough.

here's a link to nurce:
http://www.coralreefproductions.com/nurce.html

any idea's?

Lunchbucket
08/20/2001, 10:12 AM
pvc should have screw on caps. those should get airtight

later
Lunchbucket