PDA

View Full Version : Chronic High pH

wee-reefer
03/02/2004, 04:57 PM
I tested my tank today, and, as always, the pH came back at 8.6
I can't get it below that. My nitrates were at 20 ppm:eek:. I used Aquarium Pharm. dry tabs. How can I get my pH down? Also, this is the FIRST time I have ever had nitrates. Weird huh?:confused:

musicsmaker
03/02/2004, 08:47 PM
Have you been dosing the tank with anything?

wee-reefer
03/03/2004, 12:51 AM
I've not been using kalkwasser on it for over 2 months, no sea buffer or anything. Ever since I set it up the pH has been a tad high.

Steven Pro
03/03/2004, 07:36 AM
Do you use tapwater or purified water for top-offs and water changes? What is the pH of your top-off water and that of your well mixed saltwater prior to use for water changes?

Bill King
03/03/2004, 11:39 AM
Check your test kit/tank water against a known pH tank.
Say someone using a pH monitor, or a high school chem lab etc.
If your pH has been pretty constant on your test, maybe the test kit is suspect.
Bill

wee-reefer
03/03/2004, 11:53 PM
Hi, I don't know the pH of the RO water I use for top off, and I ran out of tests today. I will pick up another batch and see if I have the same results. I am due for another water change, so I will test the saltwater after it's been mixed and airated and heated for 24 hours. Thanks

Bill King
03/04/2004, 12:38 PM
Don't worry about the pH of the RO water. There will not be enough ions in Ro to measure pH acurately.
Do check the final mixed salt water, if it's slightly high, good long aeration should bring it down some.
good luck'
Bill