PDA

View Full Version : Lineatus Wrasse Male vs Female ID

jdieck
03/02/2004, 04:15 AM
Henry:

Is there a way to ID a male from a female Lineatus Wrasse without putting them together and see what happen?. I have had what is supposed to be a male for a while now so I ordered a female which arrived last week. She is now aclimated and eating in my Refugium (55gal) but when I see her coloration and patterns they look very much alike so I do not know if I have two males, two females or one of each. The first one I have had only for about four months so I do not think it has been enough time for him to turn into a female for being alone.

My main tank is a 225 gal, shall I just go ahead and add the second one? What I am afraid is that one may end up hiding deep for being harassed and given the amount of corals I have it will be impossible for me to try to teke him out.

Please help.
Jose

hcs3
03/02/2004, 09:32 AM
females have a background color of pink and a yellow tail (with blue spots), whereas the males are yellow with a red tail (and blue spots).

HTH

jdieck
03/02/2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your fast response. As per your description I think I ended up with two males.
Will a female show agressive behaviour in the way of showing off and display open fins when exposed to a mirror or is that behaviour basically of a male?
If both are male, what might be the risks of putting them together in a 225 gal aquarium? May the submisive male may eventually revert into a female?

Thanks again.
Jose

hcs3
03/02/2004, 11:13 AM
it is not likely a female would display to itself - especially a new addition. wrasses are not bi-directional hermaphrodites, sorry :( i honestly would not risk putting two males together. it may work in that large of a tank, but if it doesn't it'll be rather difficult to catch it. if you think you could easily catch it, give it a try.

if you decide to not keep the fish, PM me. maybe we can work something out.

HTH

jdieck
03/02/2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks Henry for all your help. I ran the mirror test for about 15 seconds on the new arrival and it showed off immediately so I think I ended up with two males. I just need to confirm the color comparison as the Refuge is on a night cycle now it is asleep but I will know better tonight and let you know.

I think I have someane locally that is interested which will be better for the fish preventing more transport stress but if he drops it I will be happy to to work something with you, may be trading for a female if you have one. Being so close it shall not be that difficult.

Thanks again
Jose

jdieck
03/04/2004, 02:54 AM
Henry:

I had the oportunity of taking a picture of the fish and compare it with one I found in liveaquaria.com. It really looks like what I got was a male. Will you please take a look and see if in your experience it can be confirmed as a male. If that is the case I would not even try to put them together.

Thanks a lot
Jose

jdieck
03/04/2004, 03:00 AM
Sorry Here is the picture:

hcs3
03/05/2004, 01:10 AM
the good news is that is a beautiful fish, the bad news it's male.

jdieck
03/05/2004, 07:47 AM
Thanks a lot for the confirmation and all your help. Next time you are around Naperville let me know. Dinner is on me! :thumbsup: