PDA

View Full Version : Big tank issues

imsqueak
03/01/2004, 10:15 PM
Things get awful different with this 300 compared to my 55. It was full of cut plastic and saw dust so I had to clean it out. Nope, you cant just reach in with a wet towell. You gotta get creative...http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=28646&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

stevensmd
03/02/2004, 08:20 AM
that is gong to be awesome squeak! bet you can't wait to fill 'er up!
dave

Runner
03/04/2004, 08:25 AM
My wife just says: "I hope that house is sitting on a slab."

:D

EvilMel
03/05/2004, 05:28 PM
That's really funny.

My tank is on a "high" stand. So I have a folding chair that permanently sits by the tank for when I need to reach into it (like 10 times a day). Brent always comes by and closes the chair hoping one day I will do so myself, but since I have to be up and down on and off the chair alot he humors me.

imsqueak
03/05/2004, 05:46 PM
I need one of those "reacher things" for short people to get stuff off shelves, and a ladder! to pick up fallen rocks/corals. I think I'm going to drill and acrylic dowel my rocks together for this reason alone. It will make redecorating a pain, but I'm the type who can have a living room set up for 10 yrs and never have to move it (Pauline on the other hand is NOT!)

Cant wait for the meaning of "oh boy" to mean "Oh boy!".

EvilMel
03/05/2004, 08:59 PM
So what if you get a problematic fish in there, or you decide you don't have good water movement?

If you dowel the rocks you can't move it. Maybe you could dowel pieces of it (like a few smaller parts)?

Just some questions for you to think about because I have experienced a need to change my rockwork (to remove a tang) and it's also a good idea to move them around after a while because detritus accumulates underneath or in parts you can't get to. BUT you could always just turkey baster the rock (it is however quite difficult to turkey baster inside a bunch of thick rockwork).

2 cents
Mel

imsqueak
03/06/2004, 01:53 AM
I hope I dont have any dead spots with all the loc line and Y tips I have. Plus the closed loop. I'm planning on running it BB. If I need more flow across the bottom to suspend cr^p I'll have to diy some beckets. I'm looking at 5500 gph without beckets. I could probably take that +7000 with beckets but nothing could ever rest on the bottom. I see hermits blowing 8' down the tank... aah, we'll see.

imsqueak
03/25/2004, 07:29 PM
New issue: I just checked my online statement and Lowes & HD expense for the last 2 months is over $700. (thankfully Pauline doenst read this forum) It will be nice when I get it running, much less stocked!

easttn
03/25/2004, 07:33 PM
It stays like that, as the "joys" develop. Glad I'm only doubling in size.

cee
03/25/2004, 09:32 PM
You think it's bad now, wait till you start seeing all those "gotta have" corals!

Bddizzzy
03/27/2004, 08:35 PM
those little trips to hd and lowes add up in a hurry, I am lucky my wife does not mind, as I am saving in the long run. good luck.

Brian