PDA

View Full Version : ReefTopia

SPC
04/08/2001, 07:00 PM
I ordered snails from reeftopia which arrived on Friday. The packing was very professional and all 120+ snails are doing great. Its good to find a company like this that you can have confidence in.
Steve

Eal
04/17/2001, 02:30 PM
I ordered blue-legged hermits and lettuce nudibranchs form them and received same results,professional packing and healthy animals. No complaints other than shipping too high, but this seems to be the trend with everyone who ships live animals so is probably the means they have to ship these pereshible items with.

johnny
04/24/2001, 12:38 PM
Well after being happy with my initial order from Reeftopia... I no longer am. Half of the cerith snails I ordered died. I emailed the company, email had been the method we were speaking with before the order and was always prompt. So far, there has been no attempt to get in touch with me for how to send the snails back or get replacements. I'll have to call and see what they have to say.

Nick

SPC
04/24/2001, 05:30 PM
Nick please keep us posted on how this turns out.
Steve

Snailman
04/24/2001, 06:27 PM
Were they DOA or did they die within two weeks? Did you do the Dr. Ron 10 hour snail acclamation? If you did not and they died within two weeks that is most likely the reason. Snails are extremely sensitive in changes in salinity. They suffer internal organ damage for osmotic shock.

johnny
04/24/2001, 09:29 PM
Without opening them up I couldn't really tell if the snails were dead or not. They didn't move from the time they were in the bags until now. I did a 3hr acclimation... it was all I had time for. I know ten hours is reccommneded and I usually try for at least 6. The instructions that came with the package said an hour :eek1:

However, ironically enough, I received an email from edie at reeftopia saying "sorry I didnt' get back to you earlier... yada yada yada. And my account will be refunded, which makes me feel much better about this company. I'm still not fond of the fact that all the snails died (usually they're at least moving around in the bag while floating... these weren't), but the company lived up to its warranty (wether it be from reading this post... who knows), but being that they will credit my account, I may order from them again in that everything was packed well and they were helpful when I first ordered.

I'm glad things worked out as I think this company has a very nice "pick and choose" package deal with free shipping and box charges.

Out of curiousity when doing a 10 hr acclimation... what method do people use? I usually drip, but this time I had to add an air valve to the end of he tube in order to slow the drip down enough to do it for 3 hrs long.

ps.
Also, still no sign of the peppermint shrimp (this is only a 30g) so I'm guessing he was eaten by my anenome or another tank monster :) 3 hrs should have been plenty long of an acclimation for him.

Nick

Snailman
04/25/2001, 05:39 AM
Peppermint shrimp usally only come out at night and can be very hard to spot.

smartreef
05/13/2001, 12:16 PM
I have had no loss of inverts, from them...packed with heat pack and overnite shiped to me in Fresno,CA
recieved flower anemone's,blue leg hermits,asrea snails, yellow branch, purple ribbon & encrusting gegorains and some other stuff, some time back.

BLUESMAN
05/17/2001, 06:50 AM
Simply the best place I have ordered from!!I've ordered 3 times from them never been disappointed!Free Shipping with most orders!

Live Rocker
05/17/2001, 09:39 AM
I ordered 100 snails, 100 bl hermits at a great price and free shipping. Highly recommened!

Ian

Snailman
05/17/2001, 05:30 PM
Live Rocker

[welcome]

elutris
05/17/2001, 07:46 PM
Has as anyone purchased live sand from Reeftopia? Did it contain much life and if so what kinds?

Jimmy
05/18/2001, 11:04 AM
I just placed my first order with Reeftopia for various corals, fish, and some of their "Super Active LS". I asked the difference between this and their reg LS. Was told the SupperActive LS is fresher and more expensive due to the overnight shipping for the SuperActive stuff. They also said the LS does not contain worms, but does have "cocoa pods" and bacteria. Since I like to add some LS whenever I can, I ordered some of the Superactive LS. I'll post back after I receive my order.

One place I found that had nice LS was Coral Dynamics:

http://members.aol.com/rick2880/Index2.html

Rick was very helpful, had some nice frags at a responable price ($15 each). His LS was $7/lb. Not sure what the shipping would be since he is located by me so I'm able to pickup my stuff.

Jimmy

reefer69
06/05/2001, 03:20 PM
I orderd a snail package from www.reeftopia.com

It arrived as expected and was just great.... All the snails are doing well. I did a looong acclimation (As I have noted it suggested by Dr. Ron) and things look good.

They have graet prices... and so far the snails are doing great!

Jimmy
06/06/2001, 06:13 AM
I too have been very happy with Reeftopia. Several weeks ago I ordered several corals and a couple fish (FlameHawk & Royal Gramma). Though both fish looked a little stressed from the trip when they arrived, they both ate for me the same day and within 1 day were fully recovered. Both are very happy and healthy. Their Encrusting Gorgonian and flower anemone are also very nice. They have great service, price, and product. And shipping is free for most orders. I would use them again.

Jimmy

reefaddict
06/07/2001, 09:50 AM
I agree, reeftopia has some nice animals at reasonable prices and good service

nk57
06/07/2001, 09:38 PM
I just received a package deal with encrusting gorgonia and anemones from Reeftopia. Every thing was not only in great shape and huge. I had asked Edie in my Email to substitute the serpent stars since I already had them and it was now problem. I would recommend them to anyone.

Nancy

BLUESMAN
06/08/2001, 06:55 AM
That place does ROCK! I've ordered 3 times from them and am always happy with the size and quality of the items.Edie and Pete will do you right.It is not a huge store but run by fellow reefers.They don't have a large selection but you can special order and Pete will do his best to get it.I just emailed edie last nite about getting a pair of Sebae Clowns and Bag. Cardinals.The sponges I ordered are incredible...Red ball that is the size of a tennis ball!Orange Sun Polpys with at least 45 polyps.Great People,Great service and free shipping!BLUESMAN

TJ
06/12/2001, 10:51 PM
I've ordered from Reeftopia several times now, and I've always been satisified. They ship well, have good critters, and they're helpful if need be. I will probably always use them from now on.
http://johnsonreefs.homestead.com

Neal358
06/25/2001, 12:04 PM
I am going to place an order with them and just looking to see what you all think of them and your expereances with them

Jimmy
06/25/2001, 12:28 PM
Do a search and you will find a lot of info on Reeftopia.

I ordered from them about a month ago. Very happy with their service, prices, and products. Every fish and coral I ordered is doing great. No casualties. I would order from them again.

But to the search and get more opionions.

Good luck,

Jimmy

nk57
06/25/2001, 01:21 PM
Reeftopia Rocks! Everything is in great shape and they are a pleasure to deal with .

Nancy

johnny
06/25/2001, 02:13 PM
they were "ok".

I got everything I ordered, but the cerith snails were the pacific coast ones (aka colder waters)... none of them lived very long (2 days, 2 or 3 lasted a month or so ... after 2 hr acclimation).

I notified them and received a rebate, however I felt that the rebate wasn't as much as it should have been... but a few bucks wasn't worth arguing over.

The nerite snails are very nice and healthy as were the lettuce nudis.

Customer service was very good and their package deals are decent as well.

Overall I give them an "ok".

Nick

Neal358
06/29/2001, 02:10 PM
well i got all the stuf i ordered their price on the black cap was SOOO cheep i was wored obout it being real realy small or not helth couldnt be ferther from the thruth. he was eating and starting to come out on the second day. i order lots os snail and and a pair of golden banded coral shrimp. well the shrimp molted during shiping witch i dont hold againt the compay. but after puting them in the tank on wensday i hevent seen them. i emailed reeftopia and got a resonce in just a feew hours. they sounded consurened about it and seed if i dont see them in the next few days that next time i ordered (witch will be next pay day) they will send them for free. over all i was very very happy with the service and everything i got. i will definitaly be going back

cubera
07/01/2001, 01:03 PM
Reeftopia is a first class company with very reasonable prices, great service, high quality livestock. Highly recommended IME:eek1: :D

percula
08/13/2001, 06:38 PM
Will be ordering by next wednesday, just wanted to hear the recent vote. Havent heard anything negative about them. LMK what yall think! Thanks - perc

percula
08/16/2001, 03:35 PM
Anybody? - perc

Tim_242
08/17/2001, 01:45 AM
They are easy to deal with.I've placed two orders from them. The first in February was missing two anemones (which they credited toward my next order without debate). The second was about a week ago and everything (snails, fish, shrimp) arrived alive and is doing well. I would probably debate their description of "large peppermint" shrimp. The six I ordered were in my opinion small. The largest was maybe 1 inch. Overall a good vendor and they seemed responsive.

percula
08/17/2001, 06:15 PM
Thanks Tim, thats what I was looking for. Thanks again. - perc

BLUESMAN
08/18/2001, 08:22 AM
I rate them #1!I have ordered from them numerous times and am amazed at what I receive.The peppermint shrimp are not that large...most at 1 1/2"...but 6 for $18 bucks is hard to beat.Try the sponges or gorgs....the sizes will amaze you.I have ordered almost everything from their site and I liked them all.I just received my last order friday.I'll be ordering again soon I am sure.Shipping is free with an order over $99 and an order over$150 get a free gorg.!See Ya!

percula
08/18/2001, 01:52 PM
Thanks BMan! Appreciate it! I will be ordering quite soon! (the shrimp are a deal, especially when you get free shipping with the rest of the order!) Can I ask yall what specifically yall ordered? Thanks again! Love the quick feedback! - perc

BLUESMAN
08/18/2001, 03:05 PM
Percula....One of my favorite clowns!!!Hey I've ordered Perculas(nice size,great color),Neon Gobies(small but good color),Royal Grammas(great size),Sally Lightfoots(great size,good color),Hermit crabs(small,but what a deal!),Snails(small but what a deal!),Nudibranches(DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THESE),Serpant stars(good size,but hide alot),Brittlestars(same),Ricordea(medium size,good color,grows quick),Red Ball sponge with polyps(tennis ball size,really nice color),Orange Tree sponge(5" tall with several branches),Orange Sun Polyps(about 40 polyps,great size and on an unusual bagel shaped shell),Purple Frilly Gorg(8" tall with several branches...Ive fragged mine twice already!)Yellow Gorg(6" tall and 8"side to side,HUGE)Horseshoe Crabs(hide alot and I would not get again),Peppermint Shrimp(good size,and what a deal)Live sand(I would definetly get this this again),Condy and Flower Anemones(HUGE and great color!.I have never been dissatisfied with an order from Edie and Pete.They have great customer service and always take care of my credits.I would like to try their Live Rock....it's $156 for 45# and that is with shipping!Edie and Pete have gone out of their way to attempt to obtain other special order livestock for me.Sorry this is so long but this place rocks!You will order again from them if you get one order! Mike

percula
08/18/2001, 03:41 PM
Sweet BMan! Thanks for the long thread, helps describe it quite well! Now I just have to reconfigure what Im going to order... seeing that youve gotten about everything :cool: Sounds like this will be a great order, may spend too much time in front of tank... thanks again! I apprecite it greatly! Later - perc

percula
08/18/2001, 03:44 PM
Also if you see this again... what snails were you most happy with? Thanks! - perc

BLUESMAN
08/18/2001, 04:22 PM
Percula....I would say the Turbo snails.I have the nerite and the star snails,along with the ceriths.I think the Turbos clean the best.Let me know on any other Q's.the BLUESMAN

percula
08/28/2001, 03:57 PM
Ok, I was going to order, but rock shipment got messed up. SO another Q if you are still around BMan...

You like the astreas the most... but have you seen any of the snails reproduce/lay eggs in your tank?

Thanks again! - perc

(Im not much of a snail person... but figured I would try them out anyways!)

BLUESMAN
08/28/2001, 07:52 PM
Yes I've seen them lay eggs every couple days but the fish eat them!I'm going to set up a separate tank to try and raise snails and peppermint shrimp.I'll see what happens!

nk57
08/28/2001, 09:49 PM
I've used them twice successfully. Everything has been fine and was in great shape when they arrived. I've really been happy with them.

Nancy

percula
08/29/2001, 05:51 PM
Thanks everyone, once again yall have been a great help! Very informative! - perc

percula
09/22/2001, 03:26 PM
Two thumbs up for Reeftopia.com! Right after the airlines went back up and were semi stable I ordered. (So I was in a hurry ok?) Anyways... Absolutely great costumer service, very nice on the phone. The package arrived a lil before 10AM. I was at school, dont know when exactly, so when I got home (11AM), the box was in pristine condition, packaging A++ first a plastic covering, then the cooler, then everything was double bagged. They didnt skimp on the free shipping deal. So, quite a few days later, everything is alive and happy! I thank those on the board who reccommended the to me, they exceeded my expectations. They did change the fre shipping deal to $120, but I didnt mind, my order was alot more...

www.reeftopia.com

- perc

michaelg
10/25/2001, 06:29 PM
Looking to place an order with them. Looked through the past 45 days but couldn't find any comments.

KenT
10/26/2001, 04:23 AM
I bought clean up crew from them. I was happy.

Neal358
10/26/2001, 10:41 AM
i used the and was VERY happy with everything i saed about 20-$30 and the black cap. and it was much bigger than what i was expecting

Snailman
10/26/2001, 05:01 PM
michaelg

[welcome]

mgk65
10/26/2001, 09:29 PM
A friend and I bought some fish that were inexpensive, shipped well and are doing great. We bought Atlantic Blue Tangs - very underrated in the hobby and a Swissguard - very beautiful.

mgk

Gumbo
10/26/2001, 09:54 PM
I just received my Astrea and Nerite snail order today. Everything was well packed with a heat pack. The small Astrea and Nerites are doing well. About 50% of the larger Astrea are still a little shocked, but I think most will recover. I had only 1 confirmed dead on delivery out of 132 snails. Not bad for $69.00 including Box and Fed-Ex Delivery.

percula
10/27/2001, 01:17 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38215&highlight=reeftopia

- perc

JRM
11/01/2001, 01:19 PM
Excellent livestock, great packing. And they're more than willing to susbtitute stuff in their packages, which is a big plus.

I'll definitely buy from them again!