PDA

View Full Version : Growth rates of fish ?

Agu
08/13/2001, 03:29 PM
How long does it take fish to mature and stop growing? I've seen huge versions of some fish, and iI've also seen them apparently stop growing at much less than their max quoted size. I'll concede husbandry and environment are influencing factors. I'm really more curious about the natural variability in sizes within a species.

The other part of the question, are the sizes quoted in most literature average sizes or max sizes? IE; a fish that's shown to grow to 10" in length, does that mean that it's the largest it gets (with exceptions of course) or does that mean it might mature at between 8" and 12"???

Agu

Mr Nasty
08/13/2001, 04:10 PM
Hi Agu, much like humans and other creatures the size that a species reaches can vary greatly. If you read that a certain fish gets 10" in length that usually means in the wild. Meaning smaller in captivity. Generally the most influentual elements are size of tank, husbandry(water conditions),how much you feed, and how big the species gets. A fish that is suppose to get 2 feet long will usually grow at a much faster rate than one that gets 10"
But as usual with this hobby there are always exceptions!

Why are you planning on buying a leopard shark? If so let me know and I will come over and feed him my stupid puffer.

Scott

Agu
08/13/2001, 09:06 PM
No sharks for me Scott. :D

I saw a seven year old Naso literatus that was only 6" (+ tail). That's a reasonable size in my 180, it would be the only large fish. However I don't want some 12"+ monster growing up in there.

So what's your stupid puffer done now besides spit on you??

Agu

FMarini
08/13/2001, 10:03 PM
Hi:
I agree that the tank has a fair bit of influence on your fishes maximum size, but i will also say that many smaller fish will reach maximum sizes in a small aquarium, and that some larger fish will also reach (close to) max size even in a small tank.

2 cases in point. I have had banggais reach almost 4-6' in size, most liekly their maximum size, they acheieved this thru proper husbandry and quality nutrition. These fish did very well in a 65gal tank.

On the other hand i also have a Naso, its a Vlamingii, and I've had her for 7+ yrs. She went from a 3" pipsqueek to 12" to the tail and still growing. Again proper nutrition is the key there.

I suspect what your witnessing w/ your smaller Naso is slow growth, i also suspect that given proper nutriton and adequate time your naso will reach 15+ inches. Just feel good about it being small, believe me the 180gal tank is getting real small for my Naso
frank

Fishy Something
08/13/2001, 10:20 PM
When do you draw the line and say this is simply no longer fair on the fish, my tank is just too small, and donate them to the nearest commercial aquarium (or MR 4000).

I know this is hard to give away a pet/friend, and it is a problem that I am yet to face, but as the song says "if you love someone set it free"?

Sorry to hijak the thread a bit, but the last post got me interested!

hcs3
08/14/2001, 12:20 AM
How long does it take fish to mature and stop growing?

each species matures at different rates. however, fish never stop growing until death.

are the sizes quoted in most literature average sizes or max sizes?

i'm guessing every reference is slightly different. however, the most recognized literature as of lately comes from scott micheal. quoting him from his recent "500 species..." book -

"max length: this indicates the greatest length that an individual of that particular species can attain - or the longest ever reported - measuring from the end of the snout to the tip of the tail. "

When do you draw the line and say this is simply no longer fair on the fish, my tank is just too small, and donate them to the nearest commercial aquarium

great question! it is a question, unfortunately, that gets to be answered by each of our own morals, with our fish suffering the consequences. i would hope in most cases it's before the tang reaches 12" in a 72" tank.

HTH

henry

Agu
08/14/2001, 09:24 AM
Actually Frank, I don't have a naso tang, currently the largest fish in my 180 is a 2" firefish. I'm hesitant to add a large fish to the system, I don't want to give my pets away to a questionable home if/when they outgrow my system. I'm really asking because these sizes are thrown around like they're cast in stone.

Like your bangaiis, I've seen very large specimens of fish that supposedly stay small. Yet other than the tang species, most aquarists aren't really aware of how large their fish can become. A lot of these nano tanks for example are being stocked with clownfish that can become quite large in a short period of time.

I'm trying to plan my stocking based on realistic expectations of mature size.

Agu

Mr Nasty
08/14/2001, 09:30 AM
Agu, had one of those Naso Tangs in my fish only for about 6 years. He only died because of my stupidity.
A great fish! very hardy and will eat anything, especially green stuff. Mine was 10" when I got him, ate well (fat as a pig) and died 6 years later. His size at death? 10" (spent his entire life in a 125).

As far as the stupid puffer? I made the mistake of dangling my pinky finger in the water while doing some maintenance on the top and CHOMP! I almost "drivewayed "him right there.
But I didnt, I guess he kinda grows on you (like fungus).

cmphamca
08/23/2001, 12:34 PM
I am not sure, but I think puffer have a poisonous bite!

I witness a puffer fighting for food and accidentally bit on a Yellow Tang face. The Yellow Tang then shudder sporadically for 10 minutes then die.

Becareful out there.