PDA

View Full Version : Going Braceless!!

rcmike
02/27/2004, 06:59 PM
Well, I was reaching for a coral in my 110 Oceanic tank under the massive glass brace and noticed it moved when I bumped it. The silicone was loose on the back of the brace! I cut through the front and took the brace out. The glass is just bowing about 1/16". To put that in perspective, my 30 is bowing more than that and it is only 2 1/2 ft. long. I have an extra 250W MH and may install it in the middle of the tank. I may be an idiot for taking it out instead of fixing it but I kinda like living on the edge!

reewik
02/27/2004, 07:23 PM
Well, the tank is only 5 ft long right. Keep us updated. Lets all hope for the best!!!!!

rcmike
02/27/2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah, 5ft. I would think the 1/2 glass would be plenty strong enough. I found a thread where oceanic told someone the brace on his 120 was mainly to hold the strip lights and could be removed if desired. They do make the same size tanks without the braces.

Countzer0
02/27/2004, 07:31 PM
Ohh makes me want to remove my brace but ... i am afraid with it being a bowfront that would not be a good idea!

rcmike
02/27/2004, 07:35 PM
Disclaimer: I do not recommend people cutting braces on there tanks. Mine was already loose and the glass is VERY thick. I measured the amount the tank was bowing and did some research and found that if the bowing is less than 1/2 the thickness of the glass then it is fine. Mine was less than 1/4 so I figured I might as well go ahead and remove it instead of fixing it.

reewik
02/27/2004, 07:37 PM
I agree. The bowfront, I would keep it. I know Oceanic uses good glass and my next tank will have no brace. I also want the Starfire glass in the front and sides. Unless I just decide to get a bigger hex and then Starfire all but the 6th side which will be the overflow reef ready side.

I really like the hex but I also want a 4x4x2 or 5x5x2 or 6x6x2 in a wall some day. With that tank 1 side starfire. of course that is a ton of money.. like I said in the future, first I have to biuld the house to hold it. Back to reality sorry the dream world set in there for a moment.

That would be a ton of light and you could get some SPS and Clams rockin with 3 halides.

Oldschooler
02/27/2004, 10:49 PM
BEFORE you invest in "Starfire", call me at the shop and let me tell you what someone at Oceanic told me recently, while ordering a custom tank for one of the forum members! I do not want to get anyone into trouble, but I WILL tell you what this person said IF I know you and IF you call me...

~Roberto