PDA

View Full Version : Thanks everyone for the help on closed loop

Kennetht
02/26/2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks to everyone that helped on my closed loop problem. I got it fixed by having to replumb it. I also moved the pump from the floor to behind the tank. The flow is a little much for my tank, so I'm having to cut it down with the ball valve. I had ALOT of bubbles when it started, but they have subsided now. The anemone and feather dusters are loving it, but the zoos and Xenia aren't looking too happy. Will they adjust? Also, will it hurt to turn the pump off at night, and then restart it in the morning? Thanks again for the help.

imsqueak
02/26/2004, 08:32 PM
Kenneth, glad to hear you got rid of the leaks. I've re-done many of my diy projects ~ on the 4th overflow box on my 55 and still dont like it so will do 5th.

As for backing down the pump and turning off at night, you might consider adding another discharge of some type t-ing off from the pre-existing CL. This will allow you to keep all the flow your pump and produce and all the gph your tank wants by just adding another line. Consider loc-line so you can really dial it into 2 dead spots. Just my 2cents...

Hey, it's the topic of the next meeting anyways so turn it down for a month and come see my CL for ideas.

Kennetht
02/26/2004, 08:59 PM
I guess I could add a few more outlets......I have 3 now. How many would you suggest? 20L with a Quiet One 4000 (1017 GPH at 0 head)

Sir Knight
02/26/2004, 10:30 PM
I don't believe I am saying this but I think you have enough MORE then enough outlets and water flow. At 0 head you have over 50 times per hour with tee's, etc. close to 40.

Water pumps don't produce wave movement they produce directional water movement. That is why you bounce water flow off the tank walls or direct one return into the other. Never hit the corals with direct flow, it will blow the skin off of the coral. If needed reduce your flow with a ball valve and point your outlets toward the tanks walls to try to create more of a random flow. You may have to back off the flow with a ball valve as you stated. This type of flow volume is more in line with SPS's and some soft corals, But not really for want you currently have. You can actually have to much water movement for your tank.

Don,
Did you remember to put some tape on the drain plug? remember mine leaked (sequence pump)

Kennetht
02/26/2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks Joe. As of now twp are pointed toward the front of the tank, and the other one are pointed toward the back. I don't have any pointed at corals or down....they are toward teh glass or at a slight upward angle. I have turned the valve on the intake and output both, to try and make them even.