PDA

View Full Version : one mean shrimp

Fcamdog
08/12/2001, 02:58 PM
I witnessed a pretty nasty murder last night. I came back from snorkling and was putting a new mantis in my 30g holding tank when all hell broke loose. Almost as soon as the new mantis swam down to some rock my ciliated mantis was checking him out. I saw this behavior and decided to keep watching. The ciliated climbed up and around the rock where the new guy was, struck him and darted back, that fast it was over for my new philippine mantis. About an hour later when I was feeding the fish in the tank my ciliated had a pretty, green and empty shell sitting outside his burrow.
As a side note, the ciliated is supposed to be a spearer but I have seen him sveral times eating some blue-eyed crabs that were there for the philippine, a smasher. I guess he's not pickey though because in the last 2 weeks I have had 4 three-spot dominos disappear as well. The good thing about all this is that I can go catch all the crabs and mantis I want 10 minutes from my house, so I'm not crying about the lose.

ISFRAEL
08/13/2001, 05:11 AM
hey fcamdog

you should be able to see the smasher appendages very easily. a smasher is very easy to identify by his clubs.

mantis 10 mins away sounds pretty good, i had to wait 6 months just to get a tiny uncolourful mantis. damn
where do you live fcam? i wanna move there!

moviegeek
08/13/2001, 09:29 AM
He lives in Hawaii. Lucky!