PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Reefers Fish rooms

reewik
02/24/2004, 07:57 PM
I saw this as a thread in one of the forums and it was a pretty cool idea. Lets see what you fish room looks like. Not just the tank but the room you sit and watch the fish in. The picture is of the room I view my reef tank in. This is one side of the room.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/47464room.jpg

adshuraj777
02/24/2004, 10:30 PM
is that the Left Behind series on the bookshelf, i love those books.

nice pic, thanks for sharing.

reewik
02/25/2004, 08:14 AM
That is the left behind series. It is a great book series. Now the point is for everyone to add their fish rooms :O)

A. Critter Killer
02/25/2004, 09:02 AM
Like the Pic of Nemo's Dad and Dory, lol ----Sean

Fullertime
02/25/2004, 11:17 PM
Marlin, his name's Marlin!! Come on Sean!

fuller

adshuraj777
02/26/2004, 01:47 AM
reewiks gonna get mad if you folks dont start postin some pocs, lol, lol

i'll try to get one

A. Critter Killer
02/26/2004, 06:36 AM
Marlin....that's right, I knew it was some kind of sportfish. lol
Sorry, since I am in College out of town I broke down all of my aquaria at home. ----Sean

reewik
02/26/2004, 08:08 AM
madddddddd...grrrrrr. lol

Put your pics on here folks....... Or not.. It will just be a dead thread!

coralreefing
02/26/2004, 11:02 AM
Sean we've all seen your fish room...

Eric how did you post such a large pic?

Chris

reewik
02/26/2004, 11:51 AM
I just did it as 640 x 480........ I will do it if you email me the picture

Countzer0
02/26/2004, 01:55 PM
My humble 29g bowfront.

kevlouie
02/26/2004, 02:13 PM
Nice tank.

Wolverine rocks too btw. My kid being named Logan was no accident.

Oldschooler
02/26/2004, 10:37 PM
Wow, Jason. Nice tank. (I complimented Eric weeks ago- he only gets one compliment per month. LOL)

When you told me at the shop about the "Wolverine" poster, I HAD to post, but darn it, Kevlouie beat me to it!

I think, oh, at least two or three times a day (working with the public) "Boy, it sure would be nice if I had a set of razor-sharp ADAMANTIUM CLAWS right now!!!"

You want to start a reef tank WITHOUT reading a book because you've kept Oscars and you think you're "ready"???...

*SNIKT! SNIKT!* AAaaaaaaaaaaaarrrraghhh!!!!!!!

CatDog
02/27/2004, 02:01 PM
To keep the natives happy, here's a view of mine. It's in my office, so when my kids are asked what I do for a living, they say..."he watches his fish tank!"

CatDog
02/27/2004, 02:02 PM
Here's another of the tank itself...

Countzer0
02/27/2004, 02:19 PM
very cool catdog lots of coralline.

reewik
02/27/2004, 04:44 PM
Countzer0,

Nice one, mine is not much bigger. Have you net seen Sprungs 20 or 29 gallon tank. Look at it this way. You can eventually use that tank for a Sump. I did that once.

CatDog,

Nice tank, thanks for posting. Have you come to the meeting with us? If you have sorry I did not get to meet you.

Countzer0
02/27/2004, 06:03 PM
no i havn't seen Sprungs tank ... yeah i love my little tank but its just not much to look at compaired to some of the other members tanks. Its still a young tank and is just now starting to take shape.

reewik
02/27/2004, 07:29 PM
I also have a young tank. I love that I took this angle instead of just buying all huge corals like I did before. Man I am already running out of room thanks to all of you!!!!lol... I went to Fishey business today and picked up my Sarcophyton Mitch had for me. I will take a pic when it opens all the way. I put it in about 5 jours ago and some of the oplyps are aleady extending. not bad. It should be all the way open in the next few days so I can see what type I have.

gflat65
02/28/2004, 10:22 AM
here is my main viewing room. I had to kill alot of the res to get the pic so small, so it is kinda grainy. I alos have a 20L semi-reef in the bedroom and a baby 5 at work.

gflat

reewik
02/28/2004, 11:33 AM
Is that a 55?

CatDog
02/28/2004, 09:54 PM
Reewik,

No, I haven't made it to the meetings yet, though I have been desperately trying! Next time for sure.

Coralline is about the best thing I can grow at the moment - my tank is in an odd situation right now. My tank was in better shape when it was 6 months old than it is now when it's 18 months old. Despite following this hobby by the book, I've got some nitrate issues that are killing me.

I've added a fuge with chaeto, added LR, do regular water changes with my own RO/DI with a 0 TDS and the nitrates are higher now than they've ever been. My only guess is that it's something in the DSB because I've tried everything else - I'm contemplating taking the DSB out, but I see that as my last resort.

Anybody else have issues at the 1 year mark? Advice would be appreciated.

CatDog

pioneerlog
02/28/2004, 09:55 PM
Well heres my entry for the time being, til I get mine up. This is my brother-in-laws 120 which I just completed for him. Its in his basement which is also his recreation room. Its 2 weeks old, contents came from his 2 yr old 55 gal..
Geoff~

reewik
02/28/2004, 10:29 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/4746402282004.jpg

As promised here is a picture of the Sarcophyton I got from Mitch.

pioneerlog:

Very nice, looks like that tank is going to be a winner!

P.S. Sorry for all the typo's. My fingers do not walk as fast as my mind sometimes. I do alot of very fast hunt and pick.

CatDog:

I am sure you will work it out. Look for some info on here about DSB. I have seen alot of people taking them down. I am not saying to do it just that I have seen a pattern of it.

gflat65
02/29/2004, 11:17 AM
CatDog
What other info can you provide about tank conditions? When and at what frequency have you been adding, etc. I am a huge fan of a fine sand bed (I have ~4-5 inches of oolitic (1-2mm) in the reef). I started mine over eight years ago, and have had no issuse, except in the first year. I have added sand once when I upgraded tanks sizes abouyt 1.5 years ago, but nothing other than that. Any other 'relevant' info might make troubleshooting a little easier.

gflat

CatDog
02/29/2004, 11:46 AM
Gflat,

Thanks, I'm impressed by your 8 year cycle. What do you do to maintain your DSB? Do you swap out sand every year as some suggest or recharge with critters annually?

Here's a rundown of the tank. It's a 90g with a 20g sump and a 10g refugium. I'm running a Kent Nautilus skimmer in the sump, chaeto in the fuge, and about 145 lbs of live rock in the entire system.

Livestock is slim:
- pair of clarkii clowns
- 1 flame angel
- 1 bicolor angel
- 1 blood red shrimp
- 2 serpent stars
- handful of mixed snails (nassarius, astrea, turbo)
- 2 emerald crabs, 1

Corals:
- Red Sea Xenia
- Colt Coral
- pair of Ricordea

I actually bought the setup used 18 months and, funny enough, didn't know enough at the time to preserve the sand be layers, but just scooped it all out and then dumped it back in here. I went through the normal cycle and after about 3 months, the tank was running beautifully with 0 nitrates. Parameters now are:

SG: 1.025
pH: 8.2
kH: 8.3
Ca: 400
PO4: .03
NO3: 30

The tank's not terrible, just not in the condition it was 9 months ago and you can see that I've taken it slow (3 corals in 18 months!)

I suspect the DSB just because I have tried everything else (snails, chaeto, caulerpa, constant RO/DI water changes, etc.) You read about this alot, but there nevers seems to be an answer.

gflat65
03/01/2004, 08:04 AM
CatDog
It sounds like oyu are doing everything right. Given water changes to reduce nitrates and given that no new animals are being introduced around the time that the spikes occur and given all that you've done, if the spike has come up the in last couple of weeks, it may just be a waiting game. It sounds like all of your inverts are doing okay. Keep monitoring nitrates to see if it starts to climb. It might also be a good idea to have someone with different reagents test your levels. If the same test kit originally tested that you were at zero and then a few months later that you are higher, I wouldn't expect that the reagent is necessarily gone bad, but depending on storage conditions, it is possible to have problems with the reagents. If not, at least that is another thing you can cancel out. Hope I've been at all helpful.

gflat

coralreefing
03/01/2004, 05:02 PM
Finally made time to take a new pic. My tank sits in a corner almost alone so it doesn't make much of a room pic.
Chris

reewik
03/01/2004, 07:26 PM
Looks good Chris. Get any of those zoosa on a rock yet? How is that frag doing for you and where did you place it?

coralreefing
03/01/2004, 10:08 PM
I'm working on the zoos. I got one of the covered rocks loose & put it in my prop tank with a huge cleaning crew & they polished it right up. Now if I can get some loose to attach to different rocks we're in business.
I placed the slimer frag on the right side between my frogspawn & the green cap I got from fishdoc. The glue is covered now & its spreading to the rock. Looking good!

Chris

reewik
03/01/2004, 10:21 PM
Great, Yours is doing great too. Again thanks for that huge piece!

fishdoc11
03/01/2004, 10:56 PM
Boy , we have alot of nice tanks here in the mid-state. Catdog ,I am baffled as well. None of the typical nitrate producers. 30 is'nt really that bad though.
Chris

reewik
03/02/2004, 06:35 AM
We sure do Chris, I would have to say there has to be more out there. Do not be shy guys and gals! I posted my little tank!!

gflat65
03/02/2004, 07:28 PM
Do I smell an organized reef tour in the future?