PDA

View Full Version : Fans

seased
02/23/2004, 08:23 PM
I was looking around for a new, quieter fan for my canopy. I saw one of the 4" icecap fans for about $43. This fan has a temp sensor and is variable speed. Has anyone tried one of these fans? Does anyone know of a better fan that is not this expensive? Thanks.

Sir Knight
02/23/2004, 08:46 PM
seased,
I have used these fans in the past. The only time they are quieter is when they are not running full blast other wise, they are in my opinion just as loud as any of the more cheaper fans.

Kennetht
02/23/2004, 09:11 PM
I have some 4" 120V computer fans, and they work great. They aren't that loud. Here's the website I bought them from.... https://corporate.auctionworks.com/store/orderComplete.asp?sid=200311021720480000000008712085&c=1&sfid=1218&custno=28050541&orderno=102182558&auth=Y

Sir Knight
02/23/2004, 09:18 PM
Just one suggestion for quieting a fan a little more, is to put a piece of foam rubber between the fan housing and the wood canopy. This will stop the vibration

BiGOrange
02/27/2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Kennetht
I have some 4" 120V computer fans, and they work great. They aren't that loud. Here's the website I bought them from....

You need to remove that link, it has a session ID and is showing your personal information.

seased
03/09/2004, 09:02 AM
Here's an update on the fans - I bought one of the 4" icecap fans. Of course, the fan housing was a little bit different from my existing fan so it was not a simple take out the old and put in the new. After several hours, everything is now in place. Compared to my old fan that ran full speed all the time, the new fan is very quiet. Even when the new fan is at full speed, it is fairly quiet, though not silent. When it is at the slower speed, you hear a small hum. The temperature probe does require some experimentation. If you place it too far away from the lights, the fan runs at the slower speed the majority of the time. This caused my tank temperature to rise a few degrees. I ended up placing the probe up next to the lights and the temperature has returned to normal. Overall, I would recommend the fans. In the slower speed, they are barely noticeable. In the higher speed, they are fairly quiet compared to my older fan. Now, I have to figure out how to quiet down my overflow.