PDA

View Full Version : Help... moving to LV

opihi
02/23/2004, 07:03 PM
Hi there,
i'll be moving to Las Vegas in 3 weeks. is there anyone out there who could hold some of my SPS pieces for a month or two until i get settled in with a new tank?

in return, i'll be happy to reward you with frags!

TIA,
jeff

drock59
03/07/2004, 07:57 PM
im thinking of moving to vegas shortly as well. Have you heard anything good about the reef community???

opihi
03/08/2004, 01:26 PM
nope. seems like the reef community in LV is pretty silent, unfortunately.

drock59
03/08/2004, 02:07 PM
ya that sucks but oh well. With a city that is growing so fast and has so many people, there has got to be a good LFS or two there, at a miniumum.

opihi
03/08/2004, 02:09 PM
there's one in particular that i like, Green Valley Aquarium. the ATM stores are ok, but probably nothing like we're used to seeing being on the WC.

i envision a lot of "LFS runs" to SoCal in my future.

drock59
03/08/2004, 02:10 PM
agreed

JeepersReefers
03/11/2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by opihi
there's one in particular that i like, Green Valley Aquarium. the ATM stores are ok, but probably nothing like we're used to seeing being on the WC.

Thats all that i know of as far as LFS stores here. Yellow Submarine was allright but it went belly up a month ago. My tank is only a month old Not SPS ready, sorry.

drock59
03/12/2004, 01:23 AM
Only one fish store in all of las vegas? that is insane. Maybe i should get into the business..... or not. How long you been in vegas?

JeepersReefers
03/12/2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by drock59
Only one fish store in all of las vegas? that is insane. Maybe i should get into the business..... or not. How long you been in vegas?

Well there are 3 in the whole town that are worth anything. Yes, start a fish store we need a good one here in town. Im a LV native(one of the 8%) i've lived here 23 years. Wow has the town changed!

drock59
03/12/2004, 02:27 PM
that makes me feel a little better! Should be interesting to see how i like it there. I was just down there for the Las Vegas bowl and it seems pretty cool.

desert_reefer
03/19/2004, 10:22 AM
Hey Jeep have you checked out Tropical expressions? No a Big store at all, but Jaque is the old owner of Yellow Submarine, before the old couple bought it and ran it into the ground. She is pretty cool though and if you get to know her she hooks you up with stuff. Also what high school did you go to? I'm also a native. Ghetto Chey-town here!
Jeff

drock59
03/19/2004, 10:53 AM
That is good to hear that there is a another option. It seems really unusual to me that there are only a few fish stores in such a big city. I come from a smaller town in oregon and there are three here, so maybe i am a little spoiled. Anyway, im still excited to move!

JeepersReefers
03/19/2004, 12:08 PM
Desert,

Where is that store located? I remember jackie, she is the one that i bought my first 55g set up from. The old couple,,, lol,Richard that guy was a total tool. I have many a bad story abut them.
Durango C/O 2000

Drock
well i was wrong there are now 3 places in the city...cool

desert_reefer
03/19/2004, 01:32 PM
Cheyenne and Jones. I'm not saying the store is anything great, but Jaque is about the only LFS person I've met with any experience. That's what I hate about ATM and GV, the workers suck and have no experience. Richard is a tool. He tried sold my in-laws a hagen 15k NO 40w bulb and told them they can keep any corals they wanted under them! he said "15k, that's a lot of light. why would you need any more?" I banned them from ever going in there again.

JeepersReefers
03/19/2004, 01:39 PM
He tried to sell me a set of power compacts and he swore that thoes would produce more light than my 2X 250w MHs. I also tried to order a conopy thru them what a cluster ... that was. I guess thats why the store went under. Atm2 (sahara and FA) is all right the one in henderson i agree with you on that.

desert_reefer
03/19/2004, 01:42 PM
I hardly go over to ATM2, been there 1-2 times, clean store. Yellow Submarine is what got me hooked. I wonder what they did with that cube tank?

JeepersReefers
03/22/2004, 05:30 PM
One of the guys(Johnny V) at ATM2 definatly knows his stuff about fish tanks. he has one of the best privatly owned fish tanks i have seen...60-70 fish in a 240g. Now for reefs that leaves some thing to be desired.

the "cube tank" was last seen being loaded in to a box van by what looked to be a re-po/liquidation company.

TippyToeX
03/22/2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by JeepersReefers
One of the guys(Johnny V) at ATM2 definatly knows his stuff about fish tanks.

That man only knows about a few select fish, turst me. I spoke with him when he bragged about his heavily stocked tank and took in what he had to say. Not bad. Then spoke to him about other fish, then man didn't know up from down.

Someone correct me if I am woring, but YellowSub will reopen?

Opihi- Were you able to find someone to hold your stock? I a so sorry I did not find this in time. Made it safely to LV? :)

opihi
03/22/2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by TippyToex
Opihi- Were you able to find someone to hold your stock? I a so sorry I did not find this in time. Made it safely to LV? :)

TippyToex: THANK YOU! it only took 17 replys for someone to actually answer my question. i haven't actually moved there yet, there was a change in plans and we won't be there until 4/9. i may still need your help. i'm going to be transporting a bunch of stuff, and it would be great if you could help me by providing a stable environment to acclimate my corals into. may i PM you?

jeff

JeepersReefers
03/23/2004, 09:55 AM

Someone correct me if I am woring, but YellowSub will reopen?

Well i dnot know much about fish i only have 2 in my tank????

Yellow submarine is very much closed. I looked in their store front the other day all the tanks and every thing elese is gone, and old couple moved to misiouri. I've heard that roumor too, but i doubt that it will re open at this point.

TippyToeX
03/24/2004, 04:11 AM
Jeff, please feel free to PM me. :)

Jeepers, thanks for the news. Too bad. Even if it was a depressing store, it was something at least.

No worries when talking about fish to that guy. The true fun is to go there and try to talk coral to him. I know you are a zoo nut like myself. I was talking about my PPB to him and the poor bugger said he knows a real "rare" kind. Brown skirt with a pale green center. It took all of my will power not to roll my eyes. You would have cracked up! :D

BTW, ordered again from TLR. I couldn't take the updates!!

JeepersReefers
03/24/2004, 03:31 PM

The true fun is to go there and try to talk coral to him. I know you are a zoo nut like myself. I was talking about my PPB to him and the poor bugger said he knows a real "rare" kind. Brown skirt with a pale green center. It took all of my will power not to roll my eyes. You would have cracked up! :D

BTW, ordered again from TLR. I couldn't take the updates!!

Ahh so your the one that got all logiacal's stuff. I was too slow this time around. :D

The reef in the front of atm2 was mine. When i upgraded to my 220g they got all my old corals. Poor things, slowly wasting away, so sad:(

karlmarx
03/28/2004, 03:35 PM
ok my two cents:
I live in vegas and have been in the reef hobby for about 4 years and fresh for about 15 years. I find that out af all the stores the ATM store is by far the best LFS for saltwater fish. The store down at green valley usually has the most amount of corals stocked in vegas, but it usally only about 20-30 pieces when fully stocked and anything that looks good gets thrown into the display tanks. While they have pretty large stores and seem to be pretty knowledgeable they have prices that can bankrupt you.

I never really liked the yellow sub store, and I really don't like jackie who works there. She never has answered questions and she likes to yell at the customers. Even when she worked at rainbow seascapes like 5 years ago... I don't like getting yelled at when I'm about to drop a few bills. Thats just me. Besides that I heard from an owner of a LFS that she was stealing out of the drawer, and was fired ( and probably taken to court) so I would steer clear of yello sub anyway if it reopens.

The other store that is big is in town is trop aquarium but I bought some LR from him that had alot of crap in it that polluted my tank cause he didn't cure it. It seems like there isn't any quarantine proc done at all insead he just throughs them in to the for sale tanks.

other then that there arent really any other stores that sell coral. there are a couple more stores like petco that sell just fish.

desert_reefer
03/30/2004, 02:15 PM
petco, where pets go to die! Don't do it! Trop aquarium sucks, their store is just a front for their drug pushing buisness. I had a buddy that worked there and ended up getting fired for not partaking and dealing. Jaque at yellow sub was the owner/partner and her partner backed out because he was moving or something. I don't know about rainbow seascapes so I can't comment. she has a lot of years under her belt, and is about the most knowlageable lfs worker I've come across.

JeepersReefers
03/30/2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by desert_reefer
Trop aquarium sucks, their store is just a front for their drug pushing buisness.

Thats the third time i've heard that about that place... no proof here, just roomers thou.

drock59
03/30/2004, 03:17 PM
thats interesting

desert_reefer
03/30/2004, 03:31 PM
Oh it's the truth! They lost a lot of money about a year ago when their owner went into rehab and his wife took over. He was able to avoid prison by doing so. not just rumors, the truth!
Jeff

drock59
03/30/2004, 03:37 PM
i find that interesting that a fish store would be a front for dope. it is my understanding that even posession of any amount of marijuana is a FELONY in nevada. Coming from a more liberal state like oregon, this suprises me. You would think the local law enforcement would be all over a place like this.

desert_reefer
03/30/2004, 03:40 PM
That would be ideal. It is a felony, but word needs to get out and you need to be able to get the law to care. Weed is small beans here, if your caught with it here you'll get locked up, not a whole lot of search warrants for mary-jane! unfortunately. unless you're packin an awful lot!

desert_reefer
03/30/2004, 03:43 PM
It was an easy way for them to funel their money and come out clean in the end. use the buisness as your front. fish prices are so subjective and up and down who's going to notice a few thousand more a month, especially with us and our spending habits!

JeepersReefers
03/30/2004, 03:52 PM
i find that interesting that a fish store would be a front for dope. it is my understanding that even posession of any amount of marijuana is a FELONY in nevada.

As of early 2003 any thing under 1 oz is just a misdemanorn and a $600 fine. Im not speaking from personal experance. A frind of mine, her party was raided and she was fined $600, i think its triple that if there is a minor involved.

drock59
03/30/2004, 04:05 PM
All of this is very interesting to me. I guess it makes sense to have a front as a fish store. maybe there are others out there doing this. Ill be interested to move to LV keeping this thread in mind.

nanoreefboy
03/30/2004, 09:15 PM
WOW.
just to let you guys know there are actually a couple of stores in Vegas that are mentionable. Notice the word mentionable not good. First off do not worry there are actually a lot of fish people in Vegas. The thing is not a whole lot of them sit on the computer on messageboards. I know this because about every person that has a tank in Vegas I have probably talked to once.

The thing is I worked at a few of the stores. First I did start out at ATM and needless to say they are terrible. Personally I feel they can take better care of their animals. Some of the staff do know a little but none are that great.

Then i worked at yellow submarine the whole time it was open under the 1st management. The thing is you say there is not a big "fish people" poulation in Vegas but there is. The fish stores have so much gossip around them it is sickening. The store closed for other reasons. Then the "old" couple just ran it into the ground and they did move and as far as I know it will not reopen.

Lastly this brings me to the only fish store left and that is tropical expressions. The store is managed by Jacque. Jacque has more experience in the hobby than any other person working at any store. She knows her stuff, I know because most of it she taught me. She can actually drive you crazy with the info she knows about diseases and treatments. She did not steal from any store she works at and is the best fish momma ever. She does not yell at customers, its more like counseling, unless they are a friend or good customer and they do something stupid (like we all do). She is always willing to help out and she is the best. Anything you want to order she will most likely be able to get in. She puts in the time and effort to carry the best quality of product. No it isn't the biggest store but I say its the best. Just talk with her and she will take care of you.
Ryan

karlmarx
03/30/2004, 10:30 PM
It is obvious to me that you are a friend of jackie. And thats fine but I did talk to the owner and she did work at this store. Why would I not belive him? The LFS buisness is not the most reputable buisness. Hell soem of these people should be locked up for there buisness practices alone. However everyone who ever came with me to a store that jackie worked at found her to be lazy ( IE unwilling to help get the fish) and they also found her to be rude.

drock59
03/30/2004, 11:43 PM
karlmarx, is that your real name?

Anyway, it is good to hear both sides of the story here. I am glad that ther is a good fish people population as i am most likely to make freinds with those people when first moving there. Especially since i dont know a soul there in vegas. With vegas being such a booming city it still suprises me that there are so few stores. i was hoping there would be at least five and closer to ten places to go. No matter, im sure ill get by with what is there. I may wait a couple of months to set my tank up again just to get on my feet but im sure that i will make my way to all the LFS in the area to ponder my purchases. :rollface:

TippyToeX
03/31/2004, 12:50 AM
Hey everyone, not to be a total pill but if you want to talk LFS why not start a new thread? I think Opihi has had his thread hijacked enough. :(

On a side note, it might be a good idea to start one in the main reef discussion forum. Maybe there are other LV reef keepers out there to get info from.

drock59
03/31/2004, 02:35 AM
Tippy i think that is part of the problem here. There are not that many LV reefers here at RC and there just so happened to be three or four on this thread. I do see your point though. :D

TippyToeX
03/31/2004, 03:46 AM
Tippy i think that is part of the problem here. There are not that many LV reefers here at RC and there just so happened to be three or four on this thread. I do see your point though. :D

& I see your point as well, and can understand. :) Then perhaps a thread in this forum? I would like to join in but am not a member of LVMAS so I feel kind of odd posting in it.

desert_reefer
03/31/2004, 04:32 PM
This forum wouldn't be used if it wasn't for this thread. But we could start a new thread I guess, but what more is there to say?

JeepersReefers
04/06/2004, 12:37 PM
I would like to join in but am not a member of LVMAS so I feel kind of odd posting in it.

Me too,
I've sent LVMAS an email....No response???? Wonder what that means?

drock59
04/06/2004, 12:44 PM
me neither but i posted a bunch of stuff on here and nobody seems to mind. Ill be moving to vegas soon so ill become a member then. Check out my other post in this forum.

heeman808
04/10/2004, 10:09 PM
Well i just found my brothers thread and after a couple good replys it went to crap. I am currently housing all his corals and fish. I don't know jackie very well but i will tell you guys this. I once wanted a fu manchu lionfish, Jackie ordered one for me and it died, she then ordered me another one and it died. She then sucked up the loss and said that she wouldn't get another one in. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but is it nessacary to share it?

Razing Kane
04/10/2004, 10:19 PM
Im here, fairly new to the board but still here

drock59
04/22/2004, 08:07 PM
Razin Kane how about some tank pics???

Razing Kane
04/23/2004, 10:46 AM
Nothing special but ask and ye shall receive

26 bow
http://members.cox.net/uspirate/Tank/040604.jpg

7 mini bow

http://members.cox.net/uspirate/Tank/canopy.jpg

http://members.cox.net/uspirate/Tank/hairy crab.jpg

http://members.cox.net/uspirate/Tank/3.jpg

TippyToeX
04/24/2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by heeman808
Well i just found my brothers thread and after a couple good replys it went to crap. I am currently housing all his corals and fish. I don't know jackie very well but i will tell you guys this. I once wanted a fu manchu lionfish, Jackie ordered one for me and it died, she then ordered me another one and it died. She then sucked up the loss and said that she wouldn't get another one in. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but is it nessacary to share it?

I wish he would have PMed as he hinted he would (assuming you are Jeff's, Opihi brother). I would have been glad to have helped. :( I hope his move went well.

Ever want to set up a trade in a few months let me know. :)

LVMAS
05/02/2004, 08:58 AM
Ill hold your SPS for a month if you like.

paulfromero
06/04/2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by JeepersReefers
Well there are 3 in the whole town that are worth anything. Yes, start a fish store we need a good one here in town. Im a LV native(one of the 8%) i've lived here 23 years. Wow has the town changed!

Hey,

Jeeprs, remember 1986 when Nevada went over a million people? Still today, I wince when they talk about those "rural" California towns being a whole fifteen minutes away from the next "rural" town. We've been spoiled with our wide open spaces and gift of freedom of miles!

Paul

steve3
01/06/2005, 04:18 PM
whats up all just thought id chime in names rod. 1 yr reefing ,totally addicted, atm and green valley have best selection IMO as far as the jaque comments i have to say im not a friend ive been to her store twice and she was knowledgable and pleasant both times recently went to LA found a great place has everything. awesome store 4hr or so drivetime its a warehouse the name escapes me but ill look it up and post later