PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue Tang?

SteveN
08/10/2001, 08:10 AM
I am looking for the area location for Acanthurus leucosternon. I am hoping it makes it over to Tonga as I am setting up a region specific tank. All the information I have found says Indian Ocean, but does not give the "extreme" ranges. I am hoping you have access to more information and can help me out. The only tang I have been able to determine that does come from there is the Acanthurus lineatus. Thank you for your response and time.

FMarini
08/10/2001, 10:36 AM
Steven:
The best source for all this type of information is
www.fishbase.org
they have quite a setup and locales are identified for many fish.
This would be an excellent starting point
frank

SteveN
08/10/2001, 03:58 PM
It is very non-descriptive for this particular species. All of the maps are inaccessible. I tried that before. I am on the last resort phase asking the question on the boards. I either use them for confirmation or negation, basically only when I am not 100% sure. I have e-mailed the Tongan Ministry of Fisheries but haven't heard back in a couple of weeks. I guess they aren't going to answer.

llowwelll
08/25/2001, 04:29 PM
If you really want to find out, have you considered perhaps e-mailing the marine biology dept at the University of Hawaii? I'm not even certain that they have such a dept but maybe somebody there would have an expertise on fish of the South Pacific.